Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 12-09-2019, 09:33 AM   #76
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Get a dog.
I got two Cats is that worth a dog.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:35 AM   #77
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Are you still scared?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:03 AM   #78
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

See my signature, there is only two things that scare me my Wife , and the government.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:40 AM   #79
henry quirk
maskless: yesterday, today, tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargon
I see four or more years of trump. I'm Scared.
What has orange man done in his first four years that has you a'fear'd of orange man havin' another four years?
Old 12-09-2019, 10:41 AM   #80
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
You guys seem to have forgotten Trump lost the popular vote, winning only because of playing the electoral college. It wouldn't take all that many votes to switch, or just show the fuck up at the polls this time, to bounce him out.
And that is the problem as demonstrated by a 2018 elections. Moderates do not vote. So Democrats only obtained a tiny increase.

Every Republican I know who has never (or will not admit to) voted for anything but Republicans, all, voted against Trump. Does not matter. Something like 90% of extremists do vote. So anyone who does not vote, therefore, let's extremists vote for them.

I see no reason why Trump will lose in 2020. Numbers such as in 2018 say he will remain in office. Something extraordinary must happen (ie Democrats find a moderate who can match Trump insult for insult) for Trump to lose. None currently demonstrate that ability or are moderates.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:43 AM   #81
henry quirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
You guys seem to have forgotten Trump lost the popular vote
I predict orange man will take the popular vote in '20.
Old 12-09-2019, 12:59 PM   #82
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Something extraordinary must happen (ie Democrats find a moderate who can match Trump insult for insult) for Trump to lose. None currently demonstrate that ability or are moderates.
Insulting trolls is a fools errand. Find someone who excites moderates and progressives alike
Old 12-09-2019, 05:08 PM   #83
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Insulting trolls is a fools errand. Find someone who excites moderates and progressives alike
Unfortunately, the most excited voters get excited by insults.

I recall a writer discussing how he wrote jokes that The Don could use at a roast. The Don changed every joke to an insult.

The writer noted that crowd behind Trump. With each insult, would strongly laugh. Insults, to them, was humor.

Unfortunately, cerebral does not work with a majority of people. For the same reason Saddam had WMDs. The emotion, fear, and hate inspired and directed at Saddam was what most all heard. They did not hear the so many facts and numbers (cerebral logic) that accurately define it a myth.

And that is a target audience. Does not matter how good that Democratic nominee is. He must learn to deal with what a majority hear. The guy who insults best is always better respected by so many less cerebral voters. If their guy's insults are accurately challenged (parried), then they do not get so excited.

If the insults are not successfully challenged, then the power of those insults gets amplified by people such as Limbaugth and Hannity.

One expert at this was Reagan. He could insult back and still look fatherly. He was expert at insulting without the associated negative aspects. (ie "There he goes again.") Biden cannot do that. He has always been too nice a guy.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:54 PM   #84
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
For the same reason Saddam had WMDs. The emotion, fear, and hate inspired and directed at Saddam was what most all heard. They did not hear the so many facts and numbers (cerebral logic) that accurately define it a myth.
I think what the majority heard was the Prez is doing something for some reason like he's supposed to do.
He has the inside poop and gets paid to handle this shit so I'm more concerned with getting the lawn mowed before the BBQ this weekend.
Old 12-24-2019, 10:13 AM   #85
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

The good news is: how many military personnel we have abroad and where they're operating is being reassessed. The bad news is: it doesn't look like we're going to end any wars, only disengage from some low intensity conflicts. Below is a brief overview. The linked article points out concerns by theater of operations, far reaching ramifications, and mentions countries we're operating in, some of which may not readily come to mind.

Quote:
Pentagon Eyes Africa Drawdown as First Step in Global Troop Shift

WASHINGTON — Defense Secretary Mark T. Esper is weighing proposals for a major reduction — or even a complete pullout — of American forces from West Africa as the first phase of reviewing global deployments that could reshuffle thousands of troops around the world, according to officials familiar with internal deliberations. …

... The deliberations stem from a push to reduce post-9/11 missions battling terrorist groups, and instead to refocus Pentagon priorities on confronting so-called Great Powers like Russia and China. ...

… With an initial decision about Africa expected in January, the plans are sure to draw criticism from lawmakers, allies and military officials, and could eventually affect most global missions in some way. About 200,000 American forces are currently stationed abroad, similar to the force posture when President Trump took office with a promise to close out the nation’s “endless wars.” …

… Officials say the overhaul of Africa deployments will be followed by one in Latin America, and that drawdowns will happen in Iraq and Afghanistan, as has been expected.

The initiative reflects what has become the defining priority for Mr. Esper: moving away from 18 years of counterterrorism deployments in places troubled by militancy and insurgency where thousands of American troops cycle through in an attempt to maintain minimal stability but without much prospect of definitive solutions. …

… Mr. Esper’s team has questioned the value of those efforts and wants to scale back missions to counter militants who lack the demonstrated ability and intent to attack the United States on its own soil, the officials said. None of the terrorist groups operating in West Africa are said to meet this heightened assessment standard. ...
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 01:15 PM   #86
Griff
still says videotape

We've got some very real problems figuring out why we fight and how to leave.The Afghanistan Papers have been quite a reminder of how fucked we are...
Old 02-04-2020, 08:39 AM   #87
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

when your favorite candidate isn't doing so well there

Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 08:47 AM   #88
Luce
Weaponized Funk

Even funnier:

Quote:
Democrats have no Iowa caucus results, blame ‘coding issue’
Old 02-04-2020, 04:50 PM   #89
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Not gonna investigate past the headlines, but something can be important AND not good. Heck, it can be important because it's not good.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 06:27 PM   #90
henry quirk

Democrats have no Iowa caucus results, blame ‘coding issue’

Anything to blunt Bernie.