The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Quality Images and Videos

Quality Images and Videos Post your own images and videos of your own days

Old 05-07-2015, 12:53 PM   #391
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I was on photo safari the other afternoon, and happen to see a couple of turkeys in a field. I stopped and snapped a couple pics, and thought, this road curves around this field, and gets closer. So, I pulled down the road a piece and did get a little closer, about ~200 yards away from them.

It was readily apparent that one of them was a tom because as soon as I stopped GC1, he went full thanksgiving turkey on me and started swelling up. He strutted (literally walking back and forth, vogue-ing in front of his intended), and drummed (that's when the tom drags his wingtips on the ground, while stomping his feet rapidly. This is what makes the hen say "He's for me!!".) for the hen. Every time he got close to her she would lay down almost flat on the ground. He would drum up near her and she would jump and trot a few steps away. She's not quite 'ready', so to speak.

Meanwhile, in the bushes, another hen was taking all this in. She wasn't nearly as picky about things. She came right out and just took the cock, took it, I say. She laid down, and, when tom came up to her she didn't haggle at all, she said "Get after it!", and he did, too.

Name:  Tom and company 1.JPG
Views: 318
Size:  105.0 KB

Name:  Tom and company 2.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  127.1 KB

Now, I'm sure there are lots of pictures of mating wild turkeys, but, I consider myself very lucky to have photographed a mating pair of turkeys, in flagrante delicto, no less.

Hand-held, full 24x zoom, ~200-300 yards out.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 01:03 PM   #392
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Here's an unprocessed screen cap of one of the failures to launch:

Name:  raw.JPG
Views: 295
Size:  62.5 KB

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:23 PM   #393
glatt

That's so freaking cool. Not many wild turkeys around these parts.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 01:46 PM   #394
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

I glanced at the second picture and thought it was a turkey on a gorilla.

(sooo sleep deprived I'm hallucinatin')
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 03:09 PM   #395
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I've had a little trouble sleeping for the last several days.

Sleep is highly overrated.

Old 05-10-2015, 04:03 PM   #396
Nirvana
Back in 10

Were you at my house Grav?
Old 05-10-2015, 04:06 PM   #397
Nirvana
Back in 10

Had 4 eggs but only 2 birdiesName:  IMG_20150510_155904.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  148.4 KB
Old 05-10-2015, 04:24 PM   #398
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana View Post
Were you at my house Grav?
I didn't think anyone saw me...

Old 05-11-2015, 08:59 AM   #399
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

This little guy was chillin' outside the Laundromat the other day. I think he might have hit the window and was stunned. He was moving his head around but wasn't flying away. I've never seen a hummingbird standing still. I wasn't sure what to do with him but my brother (biology major type kind of guy who knows a lot about birds) later said it was best I just left him alone. Anyway, he's a beauty.
Attached Images

infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:14 AM   #400
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Very nice!

Slick caught a hummingbird once (Once!), and I managed to get it away before the final blow was dealt. One wing was twisted around on his back, and I put it back gently as I could. It made a little, teeny tweet, and sat there, in the palm of my hand, for just a moment and then flew away.

That was so ƒucking awsome!

Old 05-11-2015, 09:14 AM   #401
glatt

He is a beauty. I've never seen one perched.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:35 PM   #402
Griff
still says videotape

I had one land on my finger once. He came in the house and got behind a window and couldn't figure out how to get out. I very carefully lifted my finger under him as he hovered. He perched on my finger and I walked him outside. He flew off but circled back around and hovered at eye level inches in front of me. His thank you complete, he blew out of there.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:14 AM   #403
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

So. Jealous.
Old 05-16-2015, 03:25 PM   #404
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Good boy!!!

That kitteh deserves extra treats tonight!

Quote:
OOhhhooo, fukkin' dope!

Old 05-17-2015, 11:56 AM   #405
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

These three hares are sitting in a line about ten, 20 and 30 feet from my house. They seem to be placed along the line of the outpipe to the septic tank and the last one is more or less on the septic tank hatch. Maybe it's a little bit warmer along that line?
Attached Images