The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 01-05-2010, 05:36 PM   #91
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

We've got between 9 and 11 inches frozen on the ground right now, and we are forecast to get another 3 to 5 tomorrow, then the temps are going to fall below zero with winds gusting up to 40 mph.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:07 PM   #92
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Met office has predicted up to a foot and a half in the South by morning (Sundae will be pleased!) and apparently they've been panic buying provsions in some parts of the South after predictions that the freeze could last several days. Coming so soon after the last lot, this is now the longest cold snap in the UK for 30 years.

They said the snow would move South, I was kind of hoping that meant that it would move South and leave the North behind, but I just let Pil out for his last trip and it was snowing again. Bleh. Don't mind de-snowballing the dog after his daily walk. Do mind having to de-snowball him after every venture outside.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:06 AM   #93
Scriveyn
amnesic-confabulatory opsimath

Snow has arrived in the South!

Exmouth live cam

and screenshots:

[eta] people (shortsleeved, brrr) building a snowman
Attached Images

Last edited by Scriveyn; 01-06-2010 at 06:03 AM. Reason: added 2 more screenshots
Scriveyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:30 AM   #94
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

dana - guy on the news said the UK might have worst winter in 100 years!!!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:44 AM   #95
DanaC

I can believe it Bri. I have to put on boots just to let the dog out for a quick widdle. The snow comes up to my calves. It's a long time since I've seen snow this deep; even up here.

I think they're predicting that the worst of it will be over by next week; but they reckon the South will still be having heavy snow through Sunday night. The North is looking to be free from fresh snowfall by Friday. How long it then takes to thaw, I don't know.

It's the same arctic wind that's causing problems across Northern Europe and America apparently.

In fairness of course, we've had fairly mild winters on the whole for the last 100 years, so having the worst doesn't take a great deal. Probably seems worse than it is because the country grinds to a halt as soon as there's snow on the ground. Some fearmongers are talking about short gas supplies at the moment (we store much less than in other countries in Europe) but I don't know how much credence to put to that given it's coming mainly from the opposition party (Tories) leader.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:48 AM   #96
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Snow, snow, snow-snowy-snow!
Lovely.

What we've got is our lot though
Big freeze starts tomorrow - can't say I fancy that much.
Had a good old trudge about in it. Went to the local shop with the 'rents to get a paper and a couple of things for Grandad's next door neighbour.

Mum & Dad went to visit Maureen, who'd taken one look at the weather and gones back to bed! She was pleased they'd come. (Widowed quite suddenly last year, suffers from depression, comes for Sunday lunch every oter Sunday). She says she might pop over this afternoon, which will be good for her.

We were sposed to have the kids today, as my sis and bro were working, but my sis got the day off in the end. She left home at 08.00 and at 08.15 was called to say her school would be closed. She was relieved of course, but frustrated that it was probably the last school in Bucks to declare its closure - she knew yesterday that that the kids' schools were closed.

I'm just enjoying it all while I can.
And hoping for more!
Regardless, I'll get a cold-weather bonus from the Benefits Office
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2010, 07:22 AM   #97
monster
I hear them call the tide

Just received urgent email from sister in UK requesting immediate dispatch of snowpants for niece

...I bet banana lady wishes she hadn't left her snow boots here, now....
Old 01-06-2010, 08:53 AM   #98
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Started snowing here again just now.
Just after I'd done as Mum requested and cleared a patch of grass for the birdies, putting down suet pellets, worms and some seed.

It's only snowing lightly, but another hour will cover up all the goodies! Ah well, I'd rather have the snow than not.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:50 AM   #99
DanaC

Christ on a bike! It's cold out there!

Just got back from walking Pilau. Only went down to the playing fields (didn;t do the big country walk up the hills today). Was out less than 20 minutes, and my feet were like blocks of ice. Poor Pilau was up to his belly in it at some point of the walk. Got halfway back and he started limping, then stopped and lifted his front paw up, with it quivering. Kept moving it up and down . Felt inside his pads and there were tightly compacted hard balls of ice in there. managed to get him back home with some coaxing and melted them off in a bowl of tepid water.

Was going to go back out to the shop and buy more milk, but I think I'll just eke out what I've got. It's just too cold, even with hat and scarf.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:38 PM   #100
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

It isn't snowing at the moment but it is freezing.

Just been to look after the horses for the final time today. I was fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time as a 4WD vehicle needed to be returned to the farm. That made the outward journey reasonably straightforward, but on the way back I had to walk and my feet just went from under me. I hit the deck on my right side with one hell of a bang. Hip, wrist and shoulder took the brunt of it and I received an all round jarring. It took me a minute or two to pull myself together and stand once again. My first worry was that I'd hit my head. It sounds daft to say that, but I landed with a hell of a thump and didn't know for several seconds what part of me had made contact with the ground.

Anyway, this time last night we had a power cut so at least we've been spared that inconvenience. Nothing should get between a chap and his cup of tea.

Empires have fallen for less.

Last edited by Carruthers; 01-06-2010 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Minor grammar.
Carruthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:13 PM   #101
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

Sundae Girl if you like snow you should move to beautiful La Crosse on Mississippi. We are getting 3 more inches on top of the 18 inches we allready have. It was 5 below zero this morning , winter sux!!!
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:17 PM   #102
DanaC

They were predicting up to a foot of snow in some parts of wales, i heard.

Carruthers: that isn't fun. We had a small powercut the other night. I only know about it because my radio alarm reset itself. I have no idea how long the power was out for...hope the stuff in my freezer is safe to eat :P

As for tea: I ended up deciding to go back out after all, to get more milk. I don't like having to ration my cups of tea. Anything else, fine, but not tea.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:45 PM   #103
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Dana, as long as the food in the freezer is cold to the touch, it's OK to eat or refreeze. It would take at least 24 hours without power to get warmer than that in most freezers, ever fridge freezers.

Oh, the Trafalgar Square Fountains froze.
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2010, 07:11 PM   #104
Nirvana
Back in 10

We had two feet of snow all it does is snow, and we are going to get 5-7 inches more! Make you want to find someone to blame and stuff an icicle up their ...
Old 01-06-2010, 07:19 PM   #105
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Predicting snow tomorrow in central Ga.! We'll see! Bring it on.