Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 02-22-2005, 03:18 PM   #1
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Fuck France(tm) again...

Google Book Effort Draws French Ire
By David Worthington, BetaNews
February 21, 2005, 8:37 PM

The National Library of France is not happy with Google's effort to scan and integrate millions of books into its Web search. Jean-Noel Jeanneney, President of the library, wrote in an editorial that he is concerned Google's initiative to digitalize volumes at five leading libraries will reflect a unipolar worldview dominated by the English language and American culture.

http://www.betanews.com/article/Goog...Ire/1109036269
Old 02-23-2005, 01:21 AM   #2
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Le Boo Hoo ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 02:57 AM   #3
Billy
Professor

France always criticize the USA culture. I think you, Troubleshooter had a unipolar worldview if you are so angry for the news. You canot master others' thoughts and mouths, but accept the colorful world. Many Chinese people hate the Western often criticize the Chinese human right. We cannot seal their mouths. What we can do is to improve the Chinese human right and tell the real situation in China.
I think Google will scan other languages's book.
Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 07:53 AM   #4
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Oh I'm not really mad. They're not worth the effort if a really good mad-on. The response was something more like, "Fuck France! What's for lunch?" It's fun to deride the french, and easy too. I mean, what are they going to do about it?
Old 02-23-2005, 08:25 AM   #5
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter
It's fun to deride the french, and easy too. I mean, what are they going to do about it?
Surrender?
Old 02-23-2005, 08:49 AM   #6
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beestie
Surrender?
Sweet...
Old 02-23-2005, 09:21 AM   #7
russotto
Professor

So, let France start their own effort of digitizing volumes which reflect a French world view.

Of course, if they want anyone else to read them, they'll have to translate into English...
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 09:52 AM   #8
iamthewalrus109
High Propagandist

Bottom line: Western efforts are based on propreitary response

Although it sounds good, the google effort is a proprietary one and will be organized as such. The attack on Western virtues should address this issue. The project in France is based on learned principles and academics. The Google effort is indicactive of the hustle, bustle, lets get some good PR for our company type of deal, which in the end I can assure you will fall short of greatness. As a historian, librarian, and researcher I greet Google's effort with a suspicious eye. Seems like a few burnt out academics,and a whole lot of tech people will just start throwing up whatever won't be copywrited and call it a miracle of modern technology and go to town on a big PR campaign for this new "public" company Google. I rarely agree with the French, but in this case I don't think it's a Chirac vs. Bush type of angst, I think it stems from the fact that the people at the French library know that this effort will undermine actual academic efforts to reposit material for use. Google represents a fast food approach, and all should be wary of its credibility as it goes forward.

-Walrus
iamthewalrus109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 09:03 PM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I suspect that the Google effort involves puting up anything they can get their hands on. I would prefer that to someone deciding what I should read and what I shouldn't, for my own good.