The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 05-23-2013, 11:56 AM   #61
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Soon after I ensconced myself they came to take my temperature and swab me for MRSA.
Then came dinner.

All in all a little like being on holiday!
With the nasty bite and all.

AND THEN!
Came supper.
Cup of tea and a biscuit? A cake? A sandwich?
Oh, sandwich please. And a glass of apple juice.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sundae; 05-23-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #62
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Off to bed, and aside from some bizarre dreams - what's new? - I sleep very well with no Diz to jump on my head.
And Limey can confirm how well my earplugs cut out sound, having tried to speak to me one evening when I was still awake and reading but "plugged-up".

Next morning the nurse made me jump by appearing at my bedside at 06.30! Took the earplugs out and assured her I had only been dozing (true.)
She'd come to take blood pressure and temperature.
Another nurse was coming to administer drugs at 07.00.

When she arrived she had plasma bags with her.
WHA??!!!
We talked and she agreed it was best for me to shower and change into a gown before she hooked me up as I was to have two bags of "fresh Frozen Plasma" yumyum, and they could not be unhooked once they were started.

What I thought was my breakfast.
And my real breakfast (the toast was turned burnt side down, but I'm okay about burned toast.)
Attached Images

Last edited by Sundae; 05-23-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:07 PM   #63
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I have depleted leucocytes, which was what the plasma was about.
I just thought I was going to be given some pills.

I hated being hooked up.
Even cleaning the canulla with a squirt of something (saline?) was painful and unpleasant. Once the pump started, the first few minutes were horrible, and hurt. I got used to it, although I could not look at the pulsing in my hand.

I know I got used to it, because when they hooked the second bag up it was unpleasant all over again.

Now I was booked in for an 11.00 procedure, but there was a delay with the patient who was supposed to be before me, so I was bumped up the schedule. 09.30 saw me on my bed, being wheeled through the corridors on my bed like an Egyptian Queen on her barge.

I had on my hospital robe, my mother's dressing gown, and knickers.
Now no-one told me I could travel with the back of the bed in the up position. And no-one advised me to get under the sheets. So I felt horribly exposed in my supine, stationery voyage. Nothing was actually exposed, but it's a weird feeling at any time, being amongst the general public (albeit hospital-public) in your nightwear. Last time I remember it was when my brother was being born and we had to go into the next door neighbours.

The porters took me to the wrong X-Ray department, so essentially I had a tour of the hospital's ceiling tiles and lift roofs. Not very edifying.

Got to the right department (through a door labelled Delivery Suite?!) and ended up waiting until 10.45 anyway. There were complications for the person being investigated ahead of me.

Still, got in before the rush, as it were. And I dozed...

Me prepped and ready.
Hospital gown detail.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sundae; 05-23-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:18 PM   #64
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Everything was clearly explained by the Sister. Then the expert, then his subordinate.
I was well-informed.
When I entered the room I was appalled to find it exceptionally chilly, especially as I had to remove my dressing gown. NB, I was never too warm in that hospital. And my room window could open. In hindsight I would have taken my cat-fur cardigan.

But then I was covered with something that looked like paper airtex - blue on the top and white next to my skin. They covered me head to toe, with a hole cut for me to peek out of, on the left side as they needed access to the right side of my neck. Also screened me from the screens (showing my internals), which may or have not been on purpose, as I was expected to lie as still, as carved, as death.

I didn't even have to think about my temperature.
Quick sonogram, quick X-Ray then ready to go. Regularly checked during procedure.
Wipe wipe on neck, blood pressure cuff on. Then I think he iced my neck? I could see the figures going down anyway, and it felt like ice.
"Sharp scratch" was the local anaesthetic then a "stinging and pushing sensation".

All fine.
All went to plan. In and out with 28 minutes, which I think helped them catch up on the delay. Whatever tricks my veins might try on a phlebotomist they behave for real surgeons.

Back on ward after an hours prone rest.
Then five hours bed rest but I didn't have to lie flat.

I missed lunch but the kind and efficient lady who served the meals popped her head in to check I'd eaten, then went to get me a sarnie and a creme caramel.

Sausage and red onion chutney. Didn't half give me the farts later.
Me on bed rest.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sundae; 05-23-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:27 PM   #65
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Once back in my room - which felt like home - I had blood pressure and temperature tests every 15 minutes to start, then every half an hour, then every hour as time went on.
These were to detect any possibility of internal bleeding.

Nope.
I was okay.

So another dinner (again, see Dinner thread.)
And another supper.
My word, I must already be putting on weight after my hospital eat-fest.

Side from the canulla it felt like I was on a cruise. Same view from window for days on end (okay, Addenbrookes, not an ocean) and mostly just looking forward to food.
But nights of peaceful sleep.

Last edited by Sundae; 05-23-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:32 PM   #66
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Blood pressure and temp taken at just gone 07.00.
Weighed and measured again.
Brekkers (this time with jam, I was getting greedier) and then shower and wash hair with the extreme body modification that was.... you guessed it. Canulla.

Gutted when the nurse who came in to advise me of my discharge time said, "Oh, I'm surprised they didn't take that out last night!" Grrrrr. Still, I was so glad to get rid of it. Although for about two hours afterwards I missed the jangle of the plastic tags when I turned the page.

Docs were happy.
And it turned out NO bruising from hated canulla, only on left hand from exploded vein. Go figure.

Mum & her friend came to pick me up.
Photo of the services available on the concourse.
This is part of the hospital.
They may have them in plenty in many places, but I have never seen a travel agent or a bank inside a hospital in this country before. Or a Burger King.
Attached Images

Old 05-23-2013, 01:36 PM   #67
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

And finally, whilst I was waiting for my driver, they raised the Royal Standard for me.

Oh, actually it might have been because the Queen and Prince Philip were visiting later that day to open another wing. Still, it might have been for me.
Attached Images

Old 05-23-2013, 02:59 PM   #68
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
So, may I make the Liver and Onions clone thread I have wanted to for a week now?
Old 05-23-2013, 03:35 PM   #69
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
So, may I make the Liver and Onions clone thread I have wanted to for a week now?
I think it's dead sweet you held off til now :P
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:07 AM   #70
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Glad you're through it, Sundae.

I'm less concerned about the Burger King in the hospital than I am about the solicitors.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:31 AM   #71
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Went to the Job Centre today.
Was told confidentially by the claims processor I saw to go for ESA instead (Employment & Support Allowance.) She was impressed by my bruises and the litany of tests I've been through, especially that I had to go all the way to Cambridge.

"Go home, call this number and please, look after yourself."
What a nice person.
So I did that, and all is good on that front.

Not so good on the quitting work and what day I resigned on front.
My letter was dated 3 May. It wasn't opened until nearly two weeks later, because it was addressed to the Chairman of the Board of Governors, who I had been dealing with. I had a letter accepting my resignation on 17 May, after I chased it.

They dated my resignation from 3 May.
Fair enough, you'd say. Except until I had formal acceptance of resignation I couldn't claim any benefits; they won't backdate. I'm trying to get them to, but I'm not an unstoppable force and they are an immovable object.

So I've been trying to work on the school too, explaning that due to what is effectively an administrative delay, I will have two weeks without any pay or benefits.

I know this will sound laughable to people in the US, but I am actually trying to follow the rules here, and I've been honest with the school and the Benefits Agencies all the way along the line. These trips to and from Luton and Cambridge need to be paid for, as do prescription medicines and any costs required in looking for work. I'm lucky in that the 'rents are supporting me at below market value. They let me pay a share of bills because their mortgage is paid off. Because of them I have an interview next week; without them I couldn't afford the internet required to search for work online, or even stamps and envelopes to send out CVs. And I have been trying.

Anyway, waiting for forms to come from the ESA people.
You bet I'll fill them in and return them the next day!

Below are flowers bought for me by Mum's friend (who picked me up)
She's not exactly my cup of tea, but she's been there for Mum and has honestly had her share of trouble. I mean, WAY more than Mum has had with me. So it was a gesture that brought tears to my eyes.

Although I did joke with Mum that I wish she'd bought me a fruit basket instead
It was only said to make Mum laugh, I'm not that ungrateful!
Veggie chilli tonight, to get back to low calorie, high fibre meals.
Attached Images

Old 05-24-2013, 07:41 AM   #72
Chocolatl
Glutton for Gluttony

What beautiful lillies! Good luck on the job search.
Chocolatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:49 AM   #73
glatt

beautiful lilies!
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:54 AM   #74
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

They are pretty much my favourite flowers. Dawn knew that because she asked Mum.
Excepting expensive tea roses (not the forced buds with no smell you get cheaply.)

I arrange Mum's flowers for her every week.
Even when it's just carnations, I still enjoy them. Any flowers in the house are special.
Of course arranged bouquets are doubly special, because all the work is done for you.

But I'll put that on my skills list too.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:00 AM   #75
glatt

When getting lilies, you always want a lot that are still closed so they last a long time. The bouquets that are all open may look nicer as you are buying them, but they won't last more than 3 days when you get them home. I think your bouquet has the perfect ratio of open to closed.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote