The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Quality Images and Videos
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Quality Images and Videos Post your own images and videos of your own days

Old 07-31-2011, 06:14 PM   #16
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Re: Beach pics, post #4:

Is that a chain link fence between the beach and the water?

Also, the wide, completely deserted beach is kinda eerie. Like in a post-apocalyptic way.

Really enjoyed the pics, Sundae!

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:22 AM   #17
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Re: Beach pics, post #4:

Is that a chain link fence between the beach and the water?
No. Are you looking at the wind turbines out to sea?
It's a picture that doesn't stand up to zooming I'm afraid, but if that's what you mean then they are a long way out - they're about 200 feet tall!

One of the things Dad did not mind spending money on was Crazy Golf.
He and Mum have a long-standing competition, which has been waged all over the world, but especially in Yarmouth. Dad is a good golfer. He can't afford to play any more, but always challenged his brother Charlie to a match at out local council run 9 hole course when he came to visit. Charlie is dead now, and the Pitch & Putt closed around the same time, so Dad relishes the chance to compete with a club in his hand. Mum's more like me. Hit and miss. With sudden flares of brilliance, and the occasional flukey hole-in-one.

Dad won all three games we played.

We went to Pirate's Cove on the Front. Best course I've ever played, really inventive layout, lots of obstacles. But we started at hole 12, because Mum was feeling ill and had sat outside. Dad was worried about her feeling cold and couldn't remember if she had any money on her to get a cup of tea. So we ducked under the ropes to jump the queue at hole 1 and only played 6. The chap behind the desk asked us if we wanted to go back and play the rest (I guess I stood out on the CCTV?) but we were quite happy to leave. Mum recovered instantly. Hmmmmm.

We also played on the Arnold Palmer course. It was nowhere near as much fun as I remembered. It's really basic. But then I did play there 35 years ago - we didn't have much to divert us in those days!

And finally we played on the course in the camp.
This was somewhere between the two. Great theming, but some quite basic holes. Oh and I fell into the bushes (sober, with flat shoes on - I just backed up too far and lost my footing on a piece of stone coping. Mum's reaction? "Oh you silly cow!" before actually checking I was okay) which might have coloured my views.

As you can see the sun came out that afternoon (Wednesday)
Attached Images

Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:26 AM   #18
grynch
the big Cheese

not my kinda place ( water slides, etc... beans on toast .... sorry ) but thanks for the pics.
grynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:30 AM   #19
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Some more of Yarmouth's buildings.
The Empire (1911)
and cropped from a larger shot, the old Hippodrome (behind the Circus Circus amusement arcade awith the Arnold Palmer course in the foreground).
Attached Images

Old 08-01-2011, 02:33 AM   #20
grynch
the big Cheese

Sundae, .. I just noticed your location...........what part of Bucks you from?
Old 08-01-2011, 02:35 AM   #21
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

The other Hippodrome (!)
Next to Harry Ramsden's.
I don't actually rate their chips all that highly - they're cheaper and better from the market. And anyway, if they're careless enough to let a ship crash into their restaurant I don't think I'll be trusting them with my dinner.

And me.
In a typical seaside pose.
Attached Images

Old 08-01-2011, 02:37 AM   #22
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Grynch, I get what you're saying.
For me it's a return to childhood - I love the seaside, but I do know many people would run away in horror from that kind of holiday.

I'm from Aylesbury, although I was away for years.
I work in Bierton and used to live in Quainton.
What part of Bucks do you know?
Old 08-01-2011, 02:47 AM   #23
grynch
the big Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
What part of Bucks do you know?
I'm a yank but mrs. G grew up just outside of High Wycombe and her brother stills lives there (lane end )

mrs. also hates the motorway so when we visit we fly into Luton ... drive to Dunstable, over the top road to Tring... down to Berkhamstead ( friends there also ) Chesham and down to HWycombe

usually with a couple pub stops to ease my nerves about driving on the wrong side of the road ( ok, ok.. any excuse really )
Old 08-01-2011, 02:49 AM   #24
grynch
the big Cheese

and I spent about 6 painful hours once trying to get off the magic roundabout at Hemel H...
Old 08-01-2011, 03:02 AM   #25
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

It's weird seeing a beach during the day with no one on it. That just doesn't happen here. Even in the cooler climates, but around my area, people go swimming all year round.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:15 AM   #26
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by grynch View Post
I'm a yank but mrs. G grew up just outside of High Wycombe and her brother stills lives there (lane end )

mrs. also hates the motorway so when we visit we fly into Luton ... drive to Dunstable, over the top road to Tring... down to Berkhamstead ( friends there also ) Chesham and down to HWycombe
I know it well. My ex husband came from Berko, an ex -boyfriend lived just outside Dunstable, I've flown from Luton more than once and I used to live in Aston Clinton, which is nearer Tring than Aylesbury (at least the end that I lived in).
The world - it is small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
It's weird seeing a beach during the day with no one on it. That just doesn't happen here. Even in the cooler climates, but around my area, people go swimming all year round.
The North Sea is cold, with a capital C.O.L.D.
Even at the height of summer the most you will see is people wading.

But, yes - I was surprised that more people hadn't ventured onto the beach. It's a large one, so people do tend to get "lost" in the space. I can only guess it was a combination of being reasonably early (before lunch), the first week of the summer holidays, a windy day - see below - and it came after three quite chilly days so people wouldn't have factored going on the beach into their plans until they were confident of the weather.

It's always windy in Yarmouth. Well, it's the seaside.
Totally gratuitous shot of me me me, showing the wind blowing.

And Mum, safe from the wind on a pub balcony, relaxed for once
Attached Images

Old 08-01-2011, 03:18 AM   #27
grynch
the big Cheese

p.s.... nice hair
Old 08-01-2011, 03:26 AM   #28
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Just because the sun ain't shining...
We came to the beach. We're going to enjoy it.

I'm mixing my days up now - the above pics were taken on Thursday, when the sun came out.
Those below are from earlier in the week.
It reminded me so much of our holidays when I was younger.

And my favourite ever pub.
I have never been inside it (can't now, it's closed) but it was a joke throughout my childhood. Dad would always (ALWAYS, every time we saw it over the years) give me a barking smack. As in woof woof, wallop.

It says something about developing minds that I had to ask every year why the pub had that name. I think I was about 14 when I finally got it settled in my head.

FTR, a smack is a type of fishing boat. Barking is a place (that I knew - Mum was born close to Barking and Auntie Alice still lived in the area). So a Barking Smack is like the Woolwich Ferry, just a boat from somewhere.

Still, it is funny.
Or maybe you had to be there.
Attached Images

Old 08-01-2011, 04:05 AM   #29
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

A bit more of the caravan site.
I have two vids to upload. They are very exciting.

But in the meantime, I was trying to catch a pic of a seagull catching bread on the wing.
I failed immensely - I had to get the camera out of my bag, switch it on and change the setting. By which time one was flying off and the other sitting still.
But it does give an idea of the siting of the caravans for those not lucky enough to have had a holiday in one.

And next is a pic taken on our last night.
If it looks tweaked, that's because it is. The original is super-bizarrely-orange. I know the curtains have some orange in them, but this isn't the 70s! It's more beige and brown. I think it might be the energy saving lights.
Attached Images

Old 08-01-2011, 04:07 AM   #30
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by grynch View Post
p.s.... nice hair
Ta!