The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 01-21-2007, 09:04 PM   #1
wolf
lobber of scimitars

The Dresden Files

Thanks to a friend, I just started reading the books by Jim Butcher. I'm 3-1/2 books in, which gives me a pretty good feel for the character, storylines, etc.

I had not held much hope for the SciFi Channel series, since they have a tendency to take something really good and figuring out the shortest distance to total stink.

My impression of the first episode:

Wrong Coat
Wrong Car
Wrong Apartment
Wrong Relationship
Wrong Bob
Wrong Murphy

I'd be interested in the impression of someone who hasn't read the books, though.

The storyline wasn't completely excreble, but it wasn't based on any stuff from the books I've read so far.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 07:46 AM   #2
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Well, I haven't read the books...although I gather Gwen has. My reaction was: it didin't stink as much as too many SciFi channel things do, and it wipes the floor with Charmed. I admit it looks a little pale standing next to BSG, but that's a different genre altogether.

I wonder if they're going to pick up Torchwood though?

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 10:04 AM   #3
cowhead
halve your cake and eat it too.

I knew I had seen that name somewhere! I only managed to catch the last 1/2 after work lastnight, the g/f caught me up pretty quickly on the base story of the episode. all told it seems to be a great premise that has been watered down for the general public (and perhaps made a little weaker (on the darkness angle) for tv. I think it was potential, give it a little time and I'm sure it'll be alright. but I really liked the raven people.. the first scene I saw was where the kid is sitting in the darkened room with all the menacing fellows in black surrounding him.. slowly one rises with a cold look on his face and hands him a can of spray cheese... cracked me up.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:10 PM   #4
wolf
lobber of scimitars

It was whipped cream for the banana split the kid was calmly having, but yes, I thought that was a completely nice touch. Unfortunately, completely nice touches will not save the show.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 11:11 AM   #5
cowhead
halve your cake and eat it too.

well.. yeah after watching the whole thing again last night. .yeah.. I dunno.. I'll give it a chance, but no real high hopes. (and oops, yeah I guess it was whipped cream)
Old 01-27-2007, 12:53 PM   #6
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Sounds like it would have been more interesting if it were spray cheese...
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:47 PM   #7
cklabyrinth
spring of my discontent

I forgot about it and missed the first episode. I'm glad I did, though, since the series deviates from the books. The previews for the series did look cool, though.
cklabyrinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 05:45 PM   #8
Cloud

I am a fan of the books. There are a lot of differences in the series which bug me, but most of them are considered compromises between the author and the requirements of tv.

I remain cautiously optimistic and will probably watch every ep.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:43 AM   #9
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
Thanks to a friend, I just started reading the books by Jim Butcher. I'm 3-1/2 books in, which gives me a pretty good feel for the character, storylines, etc.

I had not held much hope for the SciFi Channel series, since they have a tendency to take something really good and figuring out the shortest distance to total stink.

Wrong Coat
Wrong Car
Wrong Apartment
Wrong Relationship
Wrong Bob
Wrong Murphy

I'd be interested in the impression of someone who hasn't read the books, though.

The storyline wasn't completely excreble, but it wasn't based on any stuff from the books I've read so far.
I picked one up one of the books by mistake in the charity bookshop. By mistake I mean it was my "lucky dip" book - I get one every visit. I was a couple of pages in and the names started nagging at the back of my mind, and it was a relief to realise it was because you'd mentioned them as a series of books.

I am 3/4 through and I can't remember what it's called (a problem with my random selections). It's Halloween and Harry is trying to stop three necromancers from becoming demi-gods. I'm really enjoying it so far and look forward to scouring bookshops for the rest of the series when I finish it. One thing that does bug me though - what is ot with the eyebrows? Everyone "arches" them at the end of every sentence. In fact there have even been some double arches. Hmmmm.

Who knows, I might even get to watch the TV series one day!
Old 05-04-2007, 01:24 AM   #10
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

I didn't realize this series was based on books...I caught part of the first episode, and thought it was kind of intriguing. If it were on OnDemand, I'd probably keep up with it. It bugs me that the only show SciFi has on OnDemand is friggin BSG.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 10:39 PM   #11
Cloud

okay, so the tv show is defunct (RIP Harry), but the newest book in the series comes out April 1. Yay for Amazon pre-order!
Old 04-10-2013, 07:27 AM   #12
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post

Wrong Coat
Wrong Car
Wrong Apartment
Wrong Relationship
Wrong Bob
Wrong Murphy

Do I win a prize for the latest reply EVER?
I caught the Dresden Files on TV early the other morning. Like 02.00-early.
I started reading the books due to recommendations here, and did remember someone mentioning the TV series.

Given that it's been a very long time since I read a Dresden book I was quite satisfied with the TV programme.
Fleetingly, through my head, I wondered why they changed his coat. Seems so silly when men in long coats are so much more dynamic (the Doctor, Captain Jack etc) but I could forgive them their other tinkering.

I've chilled out a few degrees re screen adaptations. I think it was Bruce who took me to task about it, and he was right. I'm still not going to watch Where The Wild Things Are though
Old 04-10-2013, 08:11 AM   #13
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
whatever happened to cowhead?
Old 04-10-2013, 09:06 AM   #14
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I liked the Dresden Files somewhat...never read the books.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:00 AM   #15
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

I've read the first three books. Never seen the show. He writes the books like he meant them for tv or movies.