The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 12-26-2001, 07:59 AM   #151
serge

The Cranberries - Wake Up and Smell the Coffee
I've always like TCs, always nice music, but of course lyrics is the main attraction.
This album: Dolores looks back at her life and thinks about what's important (love).
serge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2001, 03:02 PM   #152
dave

Bad Religion - Stranger than Fiction. Damn fine album. Damn fine. Needed a change.
Old 12-26-2001, 03:20 PM   #153
Ardax
Irrelevant Adulterant

Ah, Stranger than Fiction is a great album. Heh.

They Might Be Giants - John Henry

Bouncy Bouncy Fun Fun!
Ardax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2001, 07:07 PM   #154
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by dhamsaic
Bad Religion - Stranger than Fiction. Damn fine album. Damn fine. Needed a change.
"I'm a hero, I'm a zero...I'm the butt of the worst joke in history..."

Yep, that is a good album.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2001, 11:29 PM   #155
elSicomoro

Miles Davis--Sketches of Spain: Picked it up tonight. Brilliant.

Radiohead--Amnesiac: Also bought this tonight. If there really is a fine line between genius and insanity, they definitely straddle it. Reminds me of Sonic Youth for some reason. Good CD. I still need to get Kid A.
Old 12-27-2001, 07:48 AM   #156
Ardax
Irrelevant Adulterant

Ah, Kid A is a great disc -- I think I'll listen to it now.

Personally, I think that Radiohead are insane geniuses. I need to get Amnesiac and OK Computer yet.

Santa replaced my missing Tori Amos CDs (Boys For Pele and From the Choirgirl Hotel) too. I didn't realize how much I'd missed them until I got to listen to them again. My collection is now complete again.
Old 12-27-2001, 12:26 PM   #157
dave

Guns N' Roses - One In A Million - man this is a good song. As is the whole album. I find it strangely addictive.
Old 12-27-2001, 02:59 PM   #158
jaguar
whig

Personally i prefer Kid A to Amnesiac, but by a matter of very small degrees. they both whip ass =)

I recently got Ok Computer on vinyl...very different i think to the second two albums.
Old 12-27-2001, 03:03 PM   #159
dave

OK Computer is a great album, don't get me wrong. But I don't see it as genius, really. I like listening to it, but it doesn't fascinate me, like The Downward Spiral or The Fragile do. Maybe that's just me, but I don't really see it. Anyway, what is musical genius? I see it in Bach. His music inspires awe in me, just like Trent's does. I guess my description for Radiohead would be "exceptionally talented musically". That's my question - what is musical genius?
Old 12-27-2001, 03:49 PM   #160
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by dhamsaic
OK Computer is a great album, don't get me wrong. But I don't see it as genius, really. I like listening to it, but it doesn't fascinate me, like The Downward Spiral or The Fragile do. Maybe that's just me, but I don't really see it. Anyway, what is musical genius? I see it in Bach. His music inspires awe in me, just like Trent's does. I guess my description for Radiohead would be "exceptionally talented musically". That's my question - what is musical genius?
In the end, I think a lot of it has to do with how a person "feels" about the music...what that music does to the person. Also, how it is composed or put together. Sure, I think Chopin and Beethoven and Gershwin are geniuses. I think many would agree on that...but there are probably some out there who could give a fuck less about classical music. I think Radiohead are musical geniuses as well, even though some would simply call their music "noise."
Old 12-27-2001, 10:53 PM   #161
elSicomoro

Nine Inch Nails--Further Down the Spiral: Remixes from The Downward Spiral CD. Trent always has good remixes, especially since several of them on this CD are done by members of Coil and Foetus.
Old 12-28-2001, 08:08 AM   #162
Ardax
Irrelevant Adulterant

The Clarks - Love Gone Sour, Suspicion, and Bad Debt

The Clarks are a regional band, so you may not have heard of them. Great stuff thoguh, it's a bar-rock kinda sound.

Has anyone noticed, on Bad Relgion - Stranger Than Fiction, the first track... at about 2:08, there's a Windows "Ding" sound? WTF is that? Every time I hear it it throws me off, since I expect to see some sort of error pop up (even though I no longer use that sound for anything).

I've heard it in a few other songs too, just in the middle where it doesn't really seem to have any place.
Old 12-28-2001, 10:32 AM   #163
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by Ardax
Has anyone noticed, on Bad Relgion - Stranger Than Fiction, the first track... at about 2:08, there's a Windows "Ding" sound? WTF is that? Every time I hear it it throws me off, since I expect to see some sort of error pop up (even though I no longer use that sound for anything).

I've heard it in a few other songs too, just in the middle where it doesn't really seem to have any place.
*takes his Stranger Than Fiction CD, listens to the spot several times*

The only thing I hear is a bit of feedback at 2:10, which sorta sounded like the Windows "ding."

Actually, this takes me to one of my favorite Bad Religion songs...

"So hooray for me...and fuck you!"
Old 12-28-2001, 10:45 AM   #164
Ardax
Irrelevant Adulterant

I'm going to grab the CD when I get home and do more listening. All I have at work is the 128 kb/s Vorbis file, and the ding gets pretty muffled.

Hey, my speakers here suck, the volume is kept reasonably low, so 128 kb/s means I can store more music. There's only a handful of songs that sound bad when I'm not paying attention. Hopefully RC3 does even better on those. Heh.

NP - "Toad the Wet Sprocket - Pale - 05 - I Think About"
Old 12-28-2001, 12:07 PM   #165
dave

I am at home, which means I can hit my massive MP3 collection (mostly ripped from own cds). Today I'm listening to

<b>VAST - Music for People</b>

Very very very good. If you haven't heard of him, you should go buy his first CD, <b>Visual Audio Sensory Theater</b>. Pretty good stuff. Not as mature, lyrically, as Trent or anything, but the music is definitely pretty great and the first CD is my favorite. <b>Music for People</b> is his second and is definitely worth owning, but I don't find it as listenable as the first.

Home 'cause it's Jenni's birthday.