The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 02-28-2003, 09:05 PM   #31
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Calling a Microsoft system "Sun" would be bad karma, in theory, but German-izing it makes it OK.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 08:03 AM   #32
That Guy
He who reads, sometimes writes.

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
but German-izing it makes it OK.
Duh:

That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 11:43 AM   #33
dave

Yeah, but the system isn't called "Sun". It's called <b>sonne</b>.

<b>nebel</b> was the other choice, but I think that'll be my next system.
Old 03-01-2003, 11:45 AM   #34
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

And yet, you have failed to answer the question posed, you evasive bastard.

"Fog?"
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 02:29 PM   #35
dave

It's not called "sun", and the next one won't be "fog". It's <b>sonne</b>, and the next one will probably be <b>nebel</b>. You're Americanizing it. It doesn't need to be translated. The word is <b>sonne</b>, and the fact that when Germans think "sonne" they think the German equivalent of "that big star that the Earth revolves around" is irrelevant. Don't think of it as "sun", because that's not what its name is.

I picked it because it's easy to pronounce, I like the way it sounds, it's short and it's easy to type. "<b>syphon</b>" means nothing - I just like the spelling and the sound. <b>tier</b> just happened to be an accurate description of the previous computer.

Anyway, don't bother translating the words because that's not why they were picked. Just read them in German and that's it. Don't think about what they mean.
Old 03-01-2003, 02:43 PM   #36
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by dave
I picked it because it's easy to pronounce, I like the way it sounds, it's short and it's easy to type.
Now see...was that so hard? You could have just said that in the first place. Like I'm a mind reader and know that your computer names don't really have any significance beyond what you mentioned.

Now you're telling me what to think and do...you're like a wife! Like I'm not allowed to ask questions or something...man, you're a real asshole!
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 03:04 PM   #37
juju
no one of consequence

Sonne is easier to type than Sun? And word's <i>don't</i> have meaning if they're co-opted and re-cast as names? Riight..

Man, am I going to get it! :)
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 09:51 AM   #38
dave

"Sonne" does not mean "sun". "Sonne" is a German word. "Sun" is an English word. They describe the same star, but it's not like, when someone was coming up with the word Sonne, they said "Let's make this mean 'the German word for 'sun'.'" Languages don't work like that. "Sonne" is a German word, "Sun" is an English word. "Sun" was never a naming option.
Old 03-02-2003, 10:55 AM   #39
Skunks
I thought I changed this.

I think, to a degree, you're skirting the issue. Yeah, "sonne" is a name. It's a sound, with 5 letters that correspond to it, that you can use to identify some object. But, "sonne" is also a German word. You may not be saying "this box will be called 'sun', but in German!", but by naming it the same thing as what the Germans named the daystar, I think you create some sort of link that cannot be simply severed with a quick dismissal of the German language.

Just to continue making no point at all, let's take a 100% hypothetical example. Say some people have a daughter, and name her Zoë. Now, that word means 'life' in Greek. Under what situation can they, as you've attempted to do here, disavow the connection to the Greek word? Can they say "yeah, it's a word in Greek, but that's not why we named her that"? Can some other couple do the same, but with, say, 'Asshat'?
Skunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 05:22 PM   #40
CodeBlue40
Disorderly Disciplinarian

Now, I'm in the process of building a system for the first time. I salvaged a lot of parts from my previous PC. The CD-Rom drive was not one of them. Neither was the floppy drive. I went through newegg.com to buy them both recently. I was going to get a Lite-On CD-ROM drive, (A DVD-ROM drive is a sucker bet.) but I opted for a Mitsumi, like the floppy drive. Was this a bad choice? I mean, I heard about the Lite-On being good, but I guess I just wanted to have the same brand for both of those drives.
Old 03-02-2003, 05:32 PM   #41
dave

Skunks -

Following your example, sycamore would be saying that her name was "life". The name isn't "life". It's "Zoë".

I'm hardly skirting the issue. He asked why it was called "sun" and I said "It's not 'sun'. It's 'sonne'."

Evidently we view language differently. I don't look at other languages as a translation of English. When I think "Sonne", I do not think the English word "sun".

When a Mexican says "Mi casa es su casa", they're not saying "My house is your house." They're saying "Mi casa es su casa".
Old 03-02-2003, 05:32 PM   #42
dave

CodeBlue - you did fine. Don't worry about it.
Old 03-02-2003, 06:13 PM   #43
CodeBlue40
Disorderly Disciplinarian

I wasn't too worried. I just saw the specs for the system you had posted earlier in the thread. I noticed the Lite-On drive. I'm pretty sure I'll have the system complete by the end of this month. I could go ahead and buy more parts now, but I wanted to jump ahead on some bills. All I really need are the motherboard / cpu and memory. I'm getting a mobo combo and memory at the same time, so no worries there.

I know I'll have to do some upgrades soon after, because my video card is good enough to play games pre-2002. My sound card is by Aureal who went belly-up a few years back, so that's gotta go. I just want to get a system up and running at home.

Thanks again.