The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Relationships
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Relationships People who need people; or, why can't we all just get along?

Old 05-31-2009, 07:19 PM   #226
disenchanted
Resident President

The big question for me right now is "So how long would you have me waiting around to see when you're ready to even talk?"

Whether I'm suffering the loss of my life or dodged a bullet is a function that takes the answer to that question as an input.
disenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:24 PM   #227
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

The answer to that question has been answered repeatedly. Let it go let, cut her loose and move on. There is no point in waiting for her for one more second, she has answered you already.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:30 PM   #228
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

I think you are addicted to her, Dis. Having withdrawals maybe? Just saying.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:28 PM   #229
Pie
Gone and done

I did once have a guy come back and give me the "good reason" four years after he dumped me... Turns out he was gay. Who knew??
Old 05-31-2009, 08:55 PM   #230
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by disenchanted View Post
The big question for me right now is "So how long would you have me waiting around to see when you're ready to even talk?".
Would you also ask "how tight do you need to squeeze the vice on my balls before you're ready to let me go?" or would you just take the vice off yourself and walk away.

you don't need to know how much she intends to torture you -she's already done enough to demonstrate that you're dodging a bullet.

I think Pie's right. she's gay.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:09 PM   #231
disenchanted
Resident President

I don't have the distance from this to be able to see whether or not it's as cut and dried as the popular sentiment would suggest.

But I also know that I spent a lot of time getting to the point that I was. There was a lot of thought behind the idea of "Am I ready to commit myself to this person for life?"

So right now, I'm faced with the question of "Do I move on?" (even knowing that "moving on" doesn't mean "go find a new relationship tomorrow") I'm grappling with the disconnect of "I was ready to give her my life to share. My whole stupid life. What's that mean if two weeks later I'm to walk away from the whole thing?"

I guess for my own satisfaction, I might need to be a torch-bearer for a bit, even if it doesn't amount to anything but prolonging my being screwed up.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:51 PM   #232
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I think you are doing an excellent job of staying as level-headed and objective as you can, dis.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:54 PM   #233
classicman

Quote:
I'm grappling with the disconnect of "I was ready to give her my life to share. My whole stupid life. What's that mean if two weeks later I'm to walk away from the whole thing?"
Its not that you are walking away - she is, or rather she has.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:24 PM   #234
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
I think you are doing an excellent job of staying as level-headed and objective as you can, dis.
I agree completely.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:33 PM   #235
Pie
Gone and done

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
I think Pie's right. she's gay.
D'oh!
Old 05-31-2009, 11:40 PM   #236
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
I'm grappling with the disconnect of "I was ready to give her my life to share. My whole stupid life. What's that mean if two weeks later I'm to walk away from the whole thing?"
It means you had not completed the vetting process. Like a lab experiment or building a house, expectations rise as you get closer to the end, but nothing is certain until it's completed. It doesn't make you a failure just because it didn't work out.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:59 AM   #237
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Its not that you are walking away - she is, or rather she has.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
It means you had not completed the vetting process. Like a lab experiment or building a house, expectations rise as you get closer to the end, but nothing is certain until it's completed. It doesn't make you a failure just because it didn't work out.
I agree with these people. Good luck, disenchanted. You seem to me to be a really great guy - I hope you will find a really great woman to share your life with, when you're ready.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:41 AM   #238
classicman

Oh and if you have some pent up aggression or whatever.... just visit the politics forum.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:35 PM   #239
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Dis, have you found posting your thoughts here helpful at all? On an intrapersonal level if not that you've had some pretty good advice.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:20 PM   #240
disenchanted
Resident President

aliantha: Most of the advice seems pretty geared toward the negative. It's over. She's probably found some other guy. There's no way to solve this. Go find someone else. Oh, and from earlier in the thread, I'm probably as bad as she thinks I am, if not worse.

Doesn't seem like there's much hope in this crowd, and maybe it's because I still want to hang on to a little of that but don't have the distance to see it. Or, maybe there's a lot of people here that have their own scars...

I guess it's just giving me a chance to work out the daily nonsense without burning out any one person. Crowd therapy.