The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 03-04-2005, 01:51 PM   #1
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Some Suggestions, please

I need to change jobs. Desperately. I have been in health care-8 years as an Xray tech and 10 years as a nurse. That's a looong time to be in the field. Probably longer than some of you have been alive, or in the work force. I realize-and have realized for the past 2-3 years that I need to switch completely. I am coming up with a blank on what to do. With a reume like mine I just am lost. Does anyone have any suggestions? My strong points are able to work with people (no matter how crazy) communication and organization. I am REALLY hoping to get some monies to return to school (don't laugh, but I want to be an English teacher in jr. or high school) but that will be years from now and the bills are due. What should I focus on??
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 01:54 PM   #2
wolf
lobber of scimitars

How much money do you need to make a week to survive? How much to survive COMFORTABLY?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 01:56 PM   #3
lookout123
changed his status to single

some staffing agencies have special divisions for healthcare jobs. they need recruiters to match up the right people with the right jobs. someone with your background should be able to look at a job order, and look at someone's resume and put something together. it is sales, but you need more people skills than closing skills. unless you want to use your connections to solicit job orders, then that is sales. depending on market can pay $60-80K year.

i was a headhunter at one point in time - it is a good gig. can pay anywhere from $30 -70K/year depending on skill and work ethic. Kelly Services has a medical staffing division if you want to look into that.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:15 PM   #4
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Are there any opportunities for you to teach other nurses in some capacity? Some program at a community college/vocational school?

Or perhaps even a program through a high school--my high school had a "medical intern" program that was like pre-pre-med, and the kids even got to do tours in various hospital departments once a week and learn basics like drawing blood.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 02:24 PM   #5
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I need about 500/week to make it.
I've only an associates degree (two of them) so teaching, right now, is out.
I never thought about the headhunting thing, and that sounds like it might be a go, but do they hire people without any sort of experience in that?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 03-04-2005, 03:05 PM   #6
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

You'd be surprised... teaching high school is out without a bachelor's, but community colleges will sign on people without any degree at all as an "associate lecturer" as long as you have enough experience with the topic you want to teach.

You work in a hospital right now, right? Would moving to a private practice kind of setting at least help reduce the stress until you figured out what you wanted to do?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 03:10 PM   #7
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble
You work in a hospital right now, right? Would moving to a private practice kind of setting at least help reduce the stress until you figured out what you wanted to do?
I did try private practice and I just can't do it--need to get out altogether. I just can't be a nurse anymore.

—James Barrie

Old 03-04-2005, 03:32 PM   #8
archergirl
Fresh Incumbent

Community college would be fun, I think, especially if you want to teach!
Old 03-04-2005, 03:58 PM   #9
lookout123

brianna - headhunting doesn't necessarily require previous experience. i walked in off the street and got it. it is about people skills. you have all of the technical skills, you have people skills - you want to match people with jobs requiring technical skills.

it depends on your presentation, confidence, and if they have aneed. i received about 20% less than the experienced recruiters when i started, but raises are based on performance generally.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:09 PM   #10
elf
Yay! We're Dooomed!

Location: Mostly: New York. Most Recently: New Jersey. Currently: Colorado
If I were you, I would contact a staffing agency and see where that took me. I'd see what's out there first, and work from there.
elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 04:23 PM   #11
breakingnews
Q_Q

if you smoke marijuana, you will become an unmotivated, dysfunctional loser.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:31 PM   #12
lookout123

well, that was random
Old 03-04-2005, 04:34 PM   #13
breakingnews
Q_Q

oh my god

I can't believe that posted. Oops. I must've hit tab and return too quickly.

I am watching a documentary about the history of the legalization of pot. There was a great quote (as you can see) and I wanted to write it ... I had the Cellar page open and the quickest thing was to write in this reply box. Heheh ... I can't wait to write about this movie.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:55 PM   #14
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I always thought if you smoked marijuana you went insane. (Reefer Madness--a movie I forgot to nominate for the Comedy tourney)

—James Barrie

Old 03-04-2005, 05:04 PM   #15
404Error
Lecturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
...My strong points are able to work with people (no matter how crazy) communication and organization...
Most state Departments of Corrections are always looking for people with those qualifications. The pay and hours are usually pretty good, it's just the work environment that sucks.

Well, you were looking for suggestions...