The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 06-23-2010, 03:33 PM   #16
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
In the last few months I've watched a major community suffer a complete meltdown. Harmony Central, with a huge number of participating musicians and an excellent database of equipment reviews, completely changed forum software and interface. The community was livid, as they'd lost many features. The owners were unresponsive. About half the members left in disgust, not to return. That's what all communities need to avoid.
I watched the exact same thing happen at the Fine Homebuilding forum hosted by Taunton Press. Changed the format for the worse, and chased away virtually all of their valued contributors. Funny thing is that the magazine relies on some of those contributors to write articles for the magazine, so they really shot themselves in the foot. The members set up a competing forum, but that doesn't have the draw of the magazine, so new new members can find the place, and it's in a slow death.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:50 PM   #17
Cloud

No, I don't think it's disgusting, UT--that's not it. I mean I don't have a problem with nude pics or genital pics in the right context. But it is pretty wearing after seeing hundreds and hundreds of these pics, I'll admit.

We're just trying to tone down the overt exhibitionism (and the reverse) in order to focus on the purpose of exchanging information about piercings, specifically.

Our administrators do consult with and work with the site owners to make sure their vision is what we are interpreting/enforcing.

But they really shouldn't have put that social media crap on there. evil!

Your comments are quite interesting though, because I've been asked by the owner of another, similar site, my opinion on how to drive traffic to the forums.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:49 AM   #18
toranokaze
I'm still a jerk

I would say follow the spirit of the law and reduce the number of non mod pics, or a have a adult section.

And how do you check for age on these pics do keep underage nudes off?

It is the ignorance of ignorance that lead to the death of knowledge

The Virgin Mary does not weep for her son, for he is in paradise. She weeps for the world , for we are in suffering.
toranokaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:14 AM   #19
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

What I think I have understand (ie my assumptions):
This is a forum which deals with a specific subject, in this case piercing. So you probably have a forum "vibe" and regulars, but also a large amount of thru traffic, dropping in for one question or just browsing.

The people posting erotic pictures are not your regulars and are not those helping to answer questions and participate in the forum.

Although people want their piercing to be seen in the best possible light, in your opinion having an erect penis, including a dildo, or offering services is taking things a step too far (I agree if this is the case).

My conclusion:
Suggest to the owners exactly what has been suggested by other Dwellars. Keep the main part of the forum about information, interaction and general piercing-based topics.
Create a NSFW section, to which all photos deemed not to be reasonable illustrations into this area. Mods will have to draw the line, but eventually both voyeurs, poseurs and even flaneurs will only frequent that part of the forum, and a 15yo looking for information on treating a painful piercing will be able to get friendly and helpful advice without seeing a split wet beaver (thanks John Irving)