The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 01-14-2002, 03:56 PM   #1
Nic Name
retired

The pretzel that toppled a President ...

Chevy Chase made a career out of impersonating Gerald Ford falling down, a trademark of his presidency.

But all kidding aside (although SNL won't leave this one alone) it is mind numbing to think that George W. Bush's life and this presidency might have ended with the twist of a pretzel.

How easily he might have hit his head and died in this fall.

Check out the bruise!

Frightening, at this time in history, to think of the President dying in a freak accident at home.

Last edited by Nic Name; 01-14-2002 at 03:59 PM.
Nic Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 04:20 PM   #2
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Re: The pretzel that toppled a President ...

Quote:
Originally posted by Nic Name
But all kidding aside (although SNL won't leave this one alone) it is mind numbing to think that George W. Bush's life and this presidency might have ended with the twist of a pretzel.

How easily he might have hit his head and died in this fall.
I wonder how often things like this occur. Probably more often than we're told.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 04:46 PM   #3
dave

Presidentially? You think?

Bush has kept what I think to be a pretty open presidency. He seems pretty forthcoming about stuff like this. Of course, it'd be damn hard to hide that bruise too, so maybe that's why they came out with it...

I wonder how often Secret Service agents have walked in on Presidents and their First Ladies doing "the deed"... Or some other embarassing stuff like that - pinching a particularly un-soft loaf, maybe. Hehe. Seriously - how much are we not told about? These are good things to hear!

Seriously though, I'm glad he's alright.
Old 01-14-2002, 05:13 PM   #4
elSicomoro

This reminds me in a way of The Newseum, and an exhibit they had in 2000 about the press. The ads at the time mentioned how FDR fell during a speech, yet most of the general public knew nothing about it. Then they mentioned how much coverage Bob Dole's fall got in 1996.

How long did it take before we found out about Lewinsky? What, a year or so? That's a whole different ballgame, but I am fairly certain there are lots of things that go on at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. NW that we don't know about. From the mundane to the disturbing, I'd imagine.

I'm glad he's okay too, but I wonder if he was rooting for the Niners in that SF-GB game.
Old 01-14-2002, 05:38 PM   #5
jaguar
whig

What can i say? argh so close!
Old 01-14-2002, 05:47 PM   #6
Nic Name
retired

Didn't his dad pass out into a plate of Pad Gai in Japan? True.
Nic Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 06:57 PM   #7
Chewbaccus
Freethinker/booter

Pass out in, no. Chew, swallow, mix with bile, and regurgitate into the Japanese Prime Minister's lap, yes.

~mike
Old 01-14-2002, 07:17 PM   #8
Griff
still says videotape

C'mon guys!

This is actually a great oportunity for wild accusations of cover ups and a chance for conspiracy mongering. IMHO W is the victim of ongoing spousal abuse, don't y'all remember the "lesion" which was removed a while back? Keep your eye on the ball folks these oportunities don't come every day.
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 07:31 PM   #9
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

The Secret Service should turn a completely blind eye to everything that happens. Their job is to protect the President, and reporting the guy's behavior and decisions is absolutely in direct conflict with that job.

This includes that SS agent who turned on Clinton. He may be an utterly reprehensible scumbag. But he's the elected President. He can't stop to think whether a politically unpopular decision or behavior may get him killed. He's in there on our behalf. Maybe he's got a weak personality and lots of personal failings. As long as he's upholding the constitution - whatever version of the constitution the courts see fit today, anyway - the SS has to protect him.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 11:05 PM   #10
dave

I agree with you. But I'd be willing to bet that an SS agent walked in on SOMETHING happening at least once.

Apparently (I'm probably wrong on this), the Presidential Bedroom is the only room in the White House without cameras. I'd say that's a good thing, 'cause you don't want your love for anal sex to cost you the re-election. However, I gotta wonder exactly how they guard it - i.e., can guards hear in there? What if I was in there and some dude had broken in and was trying to strangle me? How would they know? Just curiosity, mainly - one must prepare for one's run in 2016.
Old 01-14-2002, 11:26 PM   #11
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by dhamsaic
How would they know? Just curiosity, mainly - one must prepare for one's run in 2016.
If I understand correctly, there is a panic button in each room that can be used to alert someone (I assume the SS) to trouble.
Old 01-14-2002, 11:39 PM   #12
jaguar
whig

And getting in though the window etc i guess would involve circumnavigating some pretty tough stuff security wise anyway, electronic and human.
Old 01-15-2002, 08:04 AM   #13
dave

Yes. The White House perimeter is guarded by SS agents whose credo is "Shoot First. Ask Questions Later." No joke.

If they see you at night, BAM! They don't bother introducing themselves.

I wonder if there's multiple panic buttons. If I'm in the john, sure, I only need one. But a Presidential Bedroom, that merits at least 2. Big room, ya know? Don't want to have to jog to get to it.
Old 01-16-2002, 06:33 AM   #14
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Talking Re: C'mon guys!

Quote:
Originally posted by Griff
This is actually a great oportunity for wild accusations of cover ups and a chance for conspiracy mongering. IMHO W is the victim of ongoing spousal abuse, don't y'all remember the "lesion" which was removed a while back? Keep your eye on the ball folks these oportunities don't come every day.
Conspriacy Theories, eh?

They say that beer and pretzels go great together during a football game.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 07:58 AM   #15
Griff
still says videotape

he he

I'd say the beer and pretzels conspired to get W through the weak sister weekend of NFL spectacle. The serious teams will play this weekend.
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote