The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Sports
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sports My tribe can beat up your tribe

Old 08-12-2006, 11:39 AM   #46
Pangloss62
Lecturer

Trade?

Cashman said "no way" about an A-Rod trade, but why should we trust him? If NY tanks in Beantown, I bet they start thinking about it.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:50 AM   #47
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Who picks up a 25M salary for a 3B/SS with now, bad D?

http://sportsline.com/mlb/salaries
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 11:59 AM   #48
Griff
still says videotape

I think the consensus is that right now he can't throw under a microscope but would loosen up in a more mellow atmosphere or hopefully after a few big moments in NY. I believe Texas is paying a chunk of that absurd salary. Last night, Figgins shoetopped what would've been a big hit for him. He can't buy a break.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:46 PM   #49
WabUfvot5
Operations Operative

Don't discout the Giants ability to make a bad pick up. If Bonds goes bye-bye (for whatever reason) there you go.
WabUfvot5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 09:45 AM   #50
Pangloss62
Lecturer

Friendly Fenway

Boston finally made some ground on the Yanks. We're only one game back. But now we play Detroit. Boston won't be able to hit their way into the playoffs unless our pitching gets better. It was 11-9 yesterday.

Gotta admire Mike Lowell; he gets absolutely clocked in the head with a pitch but goes on to hit and field as if nothing happened. And talk about playing third. He doesn't "look" like a gold glove kinda guy but he's proven that he is with amazing plays all year.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:29 AM   #51
W.HI.P
Free

i guess the yankees-redsox race is over now after the 4th in a row thats about to finish. it's too bad for boston actually as their line-up is more than impressive.
dodgers and arizona still going at it, it should be decided near the end despite the dodgers looking much better at the moment.

oakland can feel the angels breathing down their necks and its innevitable that the angels will surpass, seattle proved less than, texas may just catch the falling a's for 2nd place.

detroits hanging on but i guess it dosen't matter that much to the white sox as they can and will get in on the wold card and vice versa.

the mets suddenly look hopeless without glavine for the rest of the season, pedro's questionable..... their setup man is out for the season, their closer has not been himself this year, who's left....o. hernandez,trachsel, oh my are the mets in trouble or what...they only thing they have left is their lineup which just so happens to be a little more than impressive, but is that enough, i don't think so, not without pedro at least...poor glavine

i dunno whats up...st.louis is terrible unless carpenter's pitching. cincinatti is still living off their early form but they are less than a team at the moment.
houston's pitching looking really good right now and the line-up is looking like their picking it up, but is too late?

well thats about it.
W.HI.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 04:19 PM   #52
Griff
still says videotape

Attached Images

Old 08-21-2006, 04:44 PM   #53
WabUfvot5
Operations Operative

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.HI.P
oakland can feel the angels breathing down their necks and its innevitable that the angels will surpass, seattle proved less than, texas may just catch the falling a's for 2nd place.
Oakland is hardly failing. 8-2 in the last 10 games. First place is far from a lock but I see no evidence to support Oakland ending up in 3rd place.

Quote:
detroits hanging on but i guess it dosen't matter that much to the white sox as they can and will get in on the wold card and vice versa.
The Detroit lead isn't so big now. Either the Twins or ChiSox could take it by the end.

Quote:
the mets suddenly look hopeless without glavine for the rest of the season, pedro's questionable..... their setup man is out for the season, their closer has not been himself this year, who's left....o. hernandez,trachsel, oh my are the mets in trouble or what...they only thing they have left is their lineup which just so happens to be a little more than impressive, but is that enough, i don't think so, not without pedro at least...poor glavine
Mets still have a 14 game jump. The rest of the division isn't exactly intimidating. I say they hang on, although there is a lot of ball left to play.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:22 AM   #54
W.HI.P
Free

Quote:
Mets still have a 14 game jump. The rest of the division isn't exactly intimidating. I say they hang on, although there is a lot of ball left to play.
dude, i;m not talking about the pennant race, thats over and done with, im talking about after that. thats what matters.
without a starting pitcher set up man and a questionable closer, what do you have left, sorry but the mets will not win the world series, thats where i was getting at, lol not the pennant.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:27 AM   #55
Pangloss62
Lecturer

Ugh.

NYY
BOS

I hate it when the Bo-Sox have to chase the Wildcard; that's so lame.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:45 PM   #56
WabUfvot5
Operations Operative

Quote:
dude, i;m not talking about the pennant race, thats over and done with, im talking about after that. thats what matters.
without a starting pitcher set up man and a questionable closer, what do you have left, sorry but the mets will not win the world series, thats where i was getting at, lol not the pennant.
Oh, I got you now. I think them taking the series was a very longshot in the first place. Taking the division is still a good step considering how many years Atlanta has taken it while the Mets have been mediocre at best.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:49 PM   #57
W.HI.P
Free

well, they we're 2nd favorites after the yankees, and obviously favorites from the national side. but not anymore...all of a sudden the dodgers look like a good bet with the amazing odds they have, who else...the cardinals suck .....seeing clemens against r.johnson in the final game of the world series would have been interesting though, but unlikely now.
well i don't really care that much who makes it there from the national side, i just hope the angels can take out the yankees when the time comes, cause thats what it will come down to...of course i fear the white sox a bit, but thats all.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:27 AM   #58
WabUfvot5
Operations Operative

Aside from the Mets no team in the NL looks very dominant. And now the Mets may slide a bit. When comparing the leagues the AL simply crushes for the most part. There were only two NL teams (Giants and Rockies) who DIDN'T have a losing interleague record. The Dodgers have made great strides but are they a great team? Hard to say at this point.

I'm thinking Yankees, Detroit and Oakland with Chicago as the wild card. Doesn't exactly give me high hopes for the A's going very far (of course they need to take the division first). The common thread with Detroit, NYY and Oakland is that they all have the least runs scored upon them in their division; in simpler terms good pitching and defense.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:36 PM   #59
W.HI.P
Free

are you still on about the a's ....its not gonna happen..i can't understand why you keep going on about oakland, when its clear that they are less than.
anyhow....no, the dodgers are not a great team at all, but given the fact that there is no great team left in the national league, i say they have a shot...b.penny is more than worthwhile to represent them in a key match.

on the other side, i can't see detroit being a factor in any way.
the yankees and angels are the best teams in baseball at the moment.
although i wouldn't rule out the white sox yet, as the do have the units to suprise and go all the way
Old 08-23-2006, 11:28 PM   #60
WabUfvot5
Operations Operative

Of course I am. They've shown the most mettle of any team in that division and I see nothing changing that. Could the A's finish second? Sure. I just don't foresee it. All season the A's have been plagued with injury yet have still managed a better record than Anaheim. Not to mention the Angels got a tough schedule before the division games. BOS, NYY, SEA, DET, BAL, TOR, CWS. Youch. Granted the A's have a tough schedule too but have teams like the D-Rays and Indians in the mix.

Penny is a great marquee pitcher. So is Santana of the Twins. It takes more than one guy to win however. Then again that may be all it takes in the NL this year.

Detroit not a factor? While they've cooled they still own the best record in baseball. Pretty impressive batting lineup and some quality starters in Bonderman, Rogers, Verlander.

Yankees I can believe; you have to convince me on the Angels. What evidence do you have in support of them?