The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 10-31-2009, 03:19 AM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Oct 31, 2009: Cut Paper Maps

Neatorama points to these cut paper maps of NYC, at Jailbreak.

Quote:
By removing the unnecessary, this New York City map-cut reveals the “paths, nodes, circles, boulevards, parks and streets” of the greatest city in the world. Each of the four 3′ x 4′ paper panels fit together like panes of window. Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens and the Bronx are all represented, but it’s only when they’re combined and placed against a colorful backdrop that the city begins to take shape.

Quote:
It must have taken a large amount of time and patience to create something like this. That’s probably why the one-of-a-kind piece is being sold for $550.00.
Methinks, Duh would be appropriate here.
I'm thinking they must use a laser, or something, because making all those cuts by hand... without screwing up... would be mind boggling... and much more than $550.

Quote:
Also available is a Paris map-cut, $250. While New York was cut on regular paper, the Paris version was created out of an actual map, adding another dimension to this stellar concept.

The map-cuts come from Charlotte, NC-based artist Karen O’Leary’s Studio K.
They're almost done with London ($300) and will take custom requests. Forget about Christmas though, it takes months.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:46 AM   #2
SPUCK
Professor

Tedious Art

Another words art for tedious' sake, since it has no other saving grace.
SPUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 07:28 AM   #3
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Some relationships might benefit from a map you're not able to fold, or read.

(Incidentally, when you get a degree in Geography, you really do have instruction on how to re-fold a map properly. Doing so, I was pointing out to my classmates, "Come on, you know retarded kids are folding these maps in sheltered workshops (aka therapeutic sweatshop)all across the Commonwealth, you can do better than that."

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:09 AM   #4
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUCK View Post
Tedious Art

Another words art for tedious' sake, since it has no other saving grace.
Man there are a lot of art poo-pooers in this place.

Art isn't defined as "what you think is purty."

There is no definition, really, that is agreed upon. This is why it's called 'art' and not 'science.'

Quote:
Contemporary definitions are of two main sorts. One distinctively modern, conventionalist, sort of definition focuses on art's institutional features, emphasizing the way art changes over time, modern works that appear to break radically with all traditional art, and the relational properties of artworks that depend on works' relations to art history, art genres, etc. The less conventionalist sort of contemporary definition makes use of a broader, more traditional concept of aesthetic properties that includes more than art-relational ones, and focuses on art's pan-cultural and trans-historical characteristics.
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/art-definition/

I remember my first art history class in college. "Those colored squares? You could do that? Well you didn't, not first, anyway."

I think those maps are neato-keen.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:15 AM   #5
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Ah, but you'd have to carry those cutouts around everywhere, if you were ever going to use them. Just bring this guy along instead.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:13 AM   #6
spudcon
Beware of potatoes

To quote the wisdom of Red Green, "If I can do it, it's not art." I agree with him, therefore, this is art.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:33 AM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Spuck called it art, not Studio K that created it.
Her schtick is craft, making unusual and high class printed materials, invitations, announcements, stationary, and such.
But I think it's purdy.
It would look great hanging on a large wall, or that design etched into a large window.

@Clodfobble, I saw a video of that guy. They took him for a helicopter ride in Rome, then put him in a studio with a canvas about 25 ft wide. He drew a 360 degree view of Rome, with all the buildings that could be seen from one point. He got it right,too. Accurate down to how many lights of glass in every fucking window... incredible.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:51 AM   #8
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
I'm thinking they must use a laser, or something, because making all those cuts by hand... without screwing up... would be mind boggling... .
Every cut would have to be exact-o!
Old 10-31-2009, 09:53 AM   #9
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
It would look great hanging on a large wall, or that design etched into a large window.
Or in a place where it moved in the breeze.