The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 04-25-2011, 09:23 AM   #1
Nirvana
Back in 10

April 25th, 2011 Grass Fed ?

The steak is represented as grass fed and was sold by Sonrise Beef, one of the largest producers of grass fed beef in southern California. Any person, knowledgeable about beef, will immediately recognize the probability is almost 99% that this is grain fed beef.

LINK
Old 04-25-2011, 09:36 AM   #2
Nirvana
Back in 10

SUSTAINABLE AGRICULTURE

PART III --- THE FAMILY FARMER

Urban life can be stressful. Competition is intense. Large densities of people are crammed into small spaces and the interaction results in frequent conflict. Many of those residents have roots in rural America or rural whatever country you can name. Many of those roots are generations back but recollections of the past are buried in the folklore passed from generation to generation. Sometimes folklore turns into myth and myth into an idealized vision of how things ought to be. This nostalgia and longing for simpler times has given forth to the rebirth of the idea of OLD MACDONALD’S FARM where the cows in the meadow and the sheep are in the corn.

The real life extension of OLD MACDONALD’S FARM is today’s farmers market. No one would question the premise that fresher produce tastes better or that locally raised produce rushed to market is preferred mode as advocated by the Localvores. The urban consumer’s need for food with a story behind it, created such a marketing opportunity that it brought forth all the scams found in a local carnival. Middlemen moved into the fray and all of a sudden you had an onslaught of people representing themselves as family farmers and their products as locally grown and organic. Because the venue would change and the instant shops would come and go, regulation was difficult. Misrepresentation was rampant.

The tools of the trade are fairly simple and limited. The seller of food at the farmer’s market must:

1. Pretend to be a family farmer to the consumer whatever that means.

2. Subscribe to notion that the foods that are sold are natural or organic whatever that means. The bonafides are frequently displayed on the tables in front of the stall in the form of acceptable literature and billboards.

3. Charge at least twice as much as the food sells for at the local grocery.

A visit by this reporter to a farmer’s market in La Jolla, California illustrates the point in this photo.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:37 AM   #3
Nirvana
Back in 10

So what is a family farmer? The answer is straightforward. The 200,000 families that produce 85% of the nation’s food are family farmers. Only 2% of our food is produced by corporations. Family farms come in all sizes. In the mind of urban writers, exactly when does a family farmer become a factory farmer? No one knows or can say, but chances are good that if your size is larger than a few acres, you are at risk of being called a factory farmer.

“Factory Farmer” as a descriptive term is meaningless. The processes used in production don’t vary a lot between sizes of farms. Certainly size does matter. Larger operations offer economies of scale and this is the feature of American agriculture that has pushed us to the forefront of efficiency in the world. Spreading the cost of overhead and management over 1000 acres of cropland is more efficient than over 100 acres. Looking after 1000 cows is more efficient that 100 cows. Both manpower and equipment are used more efficiently. Larger producers got to be larger because they are more efficient. A useful exercise for those who chose to label operations as factory farms would be to edit their articles or books to substitute “efficient” for “factory” in front of every farmer entry in the article or book.

The myth of the small family farm as the sole custodian of a caring, sensitive food provider is out of touch with reality. Many small farms are tended by owners with a primary job elsewhere. They are small tracts outside of town where the owner runs a few livestock or farms a few acres in their spare time. Other small farms are owned by rich people who have no understanding of production practices and often don’t really care. They are interested in a retreat and the tending to the crops whether plant or animal is never a priority.

At the core of production agriculture are the thousands of American farmers who make their living farming livestock and crops every day. They vary in size but share one common concern – the health and sustainability of the crops they produce –whether plant or animal. They fight the elements, the weather, the markets, and daily crisises of production agriculture every day of the year because it’s in their blood. They spend very little time and lose very little sleep worrying about whether they are a family farmer or a factory farmer.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:04 AM   #4
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

I'm at work so haven't followed the link. Is this something that you've written or is it from an article written by someone else?

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:30 PM   #5
Nirvana
Back in 10

I guess I could have written it but my family farming keeps me too busy. This is a page called the cattle report.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:11 PM   #6
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I am a meat-eater, but not terribly meat-knowledgeable. What makes it obvious that that chunk o' meat is grain fed? Has it to do with the amount of fat in the meat? Is that what indicates that this beef is from a cow that spent it's time just standing around a feedlot waiting for dinner rather than browsing?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:52 PM   #7
lpe397
Kinda New Member

The extensive marbling of fat is a clear indicator that this is corn fed beef.
lpe397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:56 PM   #8
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Then I know more about meat than I thought.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 04-25-2011, 04:01 PM   #9
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
Then I know more about meat than I thought.
Except that you eat steers and not queers cows
Old 04-25-2011, 05:38 PM   #10
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

"Higher" grades of beef are still considered to be the most marbled with fat.
Commercial beef comes pretty much equally from males (steers and bulls) and females (heifers and cows).
Diaphone Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:41 PM   #11
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I am from the suburbs. I don't look at the undercarriage before I eat it.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:06 PM   #12
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana View Post

The steak is represented as grass fed and was sold by Sonrise Beef, one of the largest producers of grass fed beef in southern California. Any person, knowledgeable about beef, will immediately recognize the probability is almost 99% that this is grain fed beef.

LINK
It can also depend on the breed of the stock and the quality of the green feed. Maybe it was a lazy cow too. lol

Yeah I'd look at that and say grain fed, but there are some breeds that produce more marbling naturally, particularly in a nice rib fillet.

eta: of course, you know of all of this already Nirvana, so I'm not trying to refute what you're saying. I was just thinking about Wagyu or Kobe beef for instance, which is high in marbling even when grass fed.

Last edited by Aliantha; 04-25-2011 at 06:18 PM.
Aliantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:32 PM   #13
Nirvana
Back in 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
Except that you eat steers and not queers cows
If you are eating at fast food restaurants or buying frozen patties you are eating mostly cull dairy cows. If there is fat and marbling that is grain fed. Grass fed beef is tough and stringy. Very lean no fat.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:54 PM   #14
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
I know a few farmers here who grass feed and a couple who grass finish. I think the latter is a marketing gimmick, but I don't know. The quality of the grass fed beef up here is all over the map flavor and texture-wise, but yeah, generally lean.

Now the pigs, that's another matter...
Old 04-25-2011, 08:24 PM   #15
monster
I hear them call the tide