The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 06-03-2013, 02:08 AM   #1
wanderer
Master of the Domain

Moving On

Its that feeling now which I often get on taking some huge life-changing decision.

To start with I will say I had a decent job going well enough for me from last seven years or so. A good pay-check. A kind of a settled life with a good girl.
There was time enough to play video games, read fat fantasy novels and do some art work.

'They' often told me that I was bit introvert and doesn't bother too much about the world around me. Very true that one.
However I started noticing something more scary. It wasn't abrupt but eventually this shrill constant screaming in my ear surfaced itself. That's not a metaphor but a literal statement. Doctors diagnosed and said I had tinnitus. Congrats, hola and my hearing has been markedly been affected due to it (thought I was just not paying enough attention to the people speaking). Well if its broke, its broke. Nothing much can be done about it as per medical guy. 'Irreversible loss'. Nada-de-nada. Enjoy your silence or shrill shrieking you deaf man!

What that changed for me was how I dealt with my job. Being technical analyst and all that computer fuzz guy, I had to attend lots of meetings and get involved in active communications. My problems were becoming evident and knew I was on borrowed time with the job. I could have pushed it for another couple of years perhaps but at the cost of being embarrassed and ducking the duties.

Then last week two of college old timers dropped by my place to watch Sunday night game. Few tequila shots and I came to know that these guys drive their own business. Self-employed entrepreneurs in software industry you can say. They happened to be in need of technical director at their company- a role that suits me very much. No doubt, they ask me to pitch in and join the party. I took few days. Discussed it around with my girl/parents and decided to go for it.

Good thing is that these guys know about my ear problem and don't have any issues with it. They just need the technical stuff to be taken care of. And I will be my own master. No one to report to. Whats even better that this venture has huge scope for expansion.
But whats bothering me is that I have to shift from my place. Have to live away from my girl/family for time till at least I have some solid foundation at my new work. Also, as I already said, there will be a cut in my pay-check as well. And moreover, this is no Apple or Microsoft. This is just bunch of guys striving to have foothold among the giants out there. I don't know what future has in hold for me.

But there it is. Long story short: Its that feeling now which I often get on taking some huge life-changing decision.
Feels good to share it though.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:26 AM   #2
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

I know what you mean. I've done that major job/location shift a couple of times. It's exhilarating, and a little scary. Skype is a great way to keep in touch with family when you're far away. And visits, of course, make time for that.
Bood luck!
Old 06-03-2013, 05:45 AM   #3
Griff
still says videotape

Tinnitus is a pain and my work is all communication... I'm glad you found another option.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:14 AM   #4
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Tinnitus sufferer here as well. I certainly had a blast going to all those concerts, but the payback is a bitch. I do a TON of public speaking, events, networking etc etc. Certainly makes things more interesting.

Great to hear hat you have some new excitement in your work life...
Old 06-03-2013, 10:29 AM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Just smile and hope it wasn't a question.

Sounds like you're young, and debt/obligation free, enough to take advantage of this chance. Hell yeah, go for it, another notch in the resume, baby.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #6
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

I have tinnitus also. And I still can hear after a fashion I refuse to let it control me.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:14 PM   #7
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

My dad has tinitis too. He's been doing sound therapy which he says is helping. Basically he walks around all day with ear phones and a little sound player plugged in and it someehow helps. I am not sure of the efficacy of this so called cure, but my dad seems to think it helps.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:47 PM   #8
wanderer
Master of the Domain

Quote:
Just smile and hope it wasn't a question.
I do that all the time!

Quote:
Sounds like you're young, and debt/obligation free, enough to take advantage of this chance. Hell yeah, go for it, another notch in the resume, baby.

Quote:
I do a TON of public speaking, events, networking etc etc. Certainly makes things more interesting.
Wow! I am taking a guess here:
Most of the time you "Just smile and hope it wasn't a question."

Fargon/Griff: Yeah guys, I understand how it feels. But then we carry on. Its nothing after all compared to the pain and trouble some people endure.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:49 PM   #9
wanderer
Master of the Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
My dad has tinitis too. He's been doing sound therapy which he says is helping. Basically he walks around all day with ear phones and a little sound player plugged in and it someehow helps. I am not sure of the efficacy of this so called cure, but my dad seems to think it helps.
Many people with this problem try white noise therapy. It works as long as you don't have to get involved in two way communication. Moreover I feel meditating and regular exercise helps better than headphones technique.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:18 PM   #10
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

What?
Old 06-03-2013, 02:23 PM   #11
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

I have genetic hearing loss and tinnitus, and I find that hearing aids do a very good job of masking the latter. The moment I take them out, wow - huge and unpleasant difference. You've probably looked into hearing aids; if not and they are a possibility for you, they could make a great difference in both areas of the problem.

Good luck with your new direction!
Old 06-03-2013, 04:52 PM   #12
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I'm in the process of getting two new hearing aids, as one has died and the other is gasping. What a royal pain in the ass trying to get accurate, up-to-date information on aids.

Being a market riddled with shysters and snake oil vendors for years, add new slick marketing types wanting to cash in on the boomer's market, and it's a minefield.

Nobody's real upset because they don't know if grandpa's hearing aids only improve his hearing 20% instead of the 75% possible. Each and every case is different so there's no standard, no yardstick to judge with.

I've a slight edge since I've had a shitload of them since 1981, and can usually sort out a lot of the ridiculous claims and judge the knowledge/honesty of the seller, from the get-go. Of course with improvements, what would be bullshit three years ago could be possible now.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:02 AM   #13
wanderer
Master of the Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthodoc View Post
The moment I take them out, wow - huge and unpleasant difference. You've probably looked into hearing aids; if not and they are a possibility for you, they could make a great difference in both areas of the problem.

Good luck with your new direction!
Thanks Ortho.
Yeah I tried them, (the hearing aids that is) and they do make the difference. Issue is that I start feeling irritated after keeping them on for too long. Maybe they doesn't fit and resonate quite properly as per my requirement. But damn, I spent too much trying to get the best ones.

Someone should have shouted to me what Bruce mentioned:
Quote:
What a royal pain in the ass trying to get accurate, up-to-date information on aids.

Being a market riddled with shysters and snake oil vendors for years, add new slick marketing types wanting to cash in on the boomer's market, and it's a minefield.
I can't agree more. Now that I did some research, I feel quite an ass for hurrying on the purchase. But then that doc said these were best recommended and suitable for me. Darn! I went on to getting them tweaked so many times but they either end up being too loud or completely useless. *Sigh* there's no replacement for natural hearing I believe.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:59 AM   #14
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Good on you for moving on up, Wanderer.
In the same way that staying put was right for Perry, going for the great leap forwadr into the unknown sounds good for you.

I have no tinnitus, but I have know people who suffer horribly.
Puts my slightly substandard hearing into perspective.
Perhaps we could have a "What Did You Say?" thread
Just the other day I was puzzled by a news headline on the radio about a fire in a terrorist house. I couldn't work out why it wasn't further up the running schedule.

When the main article came on it was a fire in a terraced house.
No doubt equally devastating for the people who live there, but certainly not the neighbourhood-wide evacuation scenario I was imagining.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:59 AM   #15
wanderer
Master of the Domain

That's similar to watching a comedian and having a laugh.

Then later asking the companion "what did he say anyway?"!