The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 08-14-2003, 02:56 AM   #1
Nothing But Net
Professor

Letter to the editor of the Baton Rouge (LA) Advocate

May never get printed, but I feel I must share:

Tuesday last, I was victimized by the infamous Southern Louisiana police 'fishing expedition'. After a long day of driving from Nashville, wanting nothing more than to just get home, I was stopped by one of BR's 'finest' at one a.m., obstensibly for 'crossing the line' a couple of times on I-10 West entering Baton Rouge.

I had my cruise control on 60 and know I crossed no dividers. Actually, my only 'crime' was transiting the city with an out-of-state license plate, as I am sure my fellow harrassee from North Carolina could attest. Certainly nobody with LA plates is worth stopping. Really, I would have thought the national exposure to this scam would have put an end to this unconstitutional ridiculousness by now.

It was obvious from his line of interrogation on the side of the highway that he didn't think I was drunk, and it made your officer look like an idiot. His line of questions were along the lines of 'Where am I coming from and where am I going?". Suspected drunk drivers don't get asked questions, they get a sobriety test. He confronted my passenger (girlfriend) along those same lines. What does that have to do with the alleged infraction? The State of Louisiana used to get my gambling business, but no more. I'm taking it to Mississippi or some other state, bypassing your illegal backwater burg altogether. And I'm telling all my friends to do the same.

What do you think?
Nothing But Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 08:37 AM   #2
dave

You fuckers in the South are something else. That's what I think.
Old 08-14-2003, 11:11 AM   #3
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

Well, from the point of view of someone who worked in customer service for years, and fielded a lot of customer complaints, I can tell you that the "you wronged me so now you won't get my business, and I'll tell all my friends" approch is pretty ineffective from an individual, really. Sad but true. The person who opens the letter usually just doesn't care where you take your business. Somebody cares, but not the paper-handling schmuck who actually reads the letter. The exception is if they get a lot of these in a short amount of time, in which case the trend will draw attention.
Old 08-14-2003, 06:15 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Go to MS as many times as it takes to hit a big jackpot. When the TV station comes to "film at 11" tell them your story.
Oh...or run for Gov. of CA and do the same.
Old 08-14-2003, 06:29 PM   #5
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

I agree with the understandably frustrated, but horribly ineffective letter. I used to work at a Naional Credit Card Bank, in the office of the President, and I can tell you from experience, all it's going to get is a roll of the eyes and a muttered, "yeah, yeah." Especially since the editor is probably that donut eating asshole's brother.

I had Nevada plates, but luckily didn't encounter any problems as I went through LA and MS on I-10. Course, it was two women with the car stuffed full of shit, and obviously trying to leave the state as quickly as possible...

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 06:39 PM   #6
juju
no one of consequence

I thought that every state's highway police did this?
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 07:19 PM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Pa, does.
Old 08-14-2003, 07:21 PM   #8
juju
no one of consequence

I'm just saying, why single out Louisiana?
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 07:52 PM   #9
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Tim, some honest suggestions:

--I would leave the sarcastic quips out. State the facts plainly and simply.

--I would only hint at the possibility that it was due to out-of-state plates.

--Express your general concern with the situation, perhaps find out if anyone else you know has gone through this, then hint at the problems that things like this could cause the state of LA (like losing gambling revenue from Texas residents).

--Send it to the Mayor's office in Baton Rouge as well as the newspaper there.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 07:54 PM   #10
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
Pa, does.
According to a story I heard, PA Troopers even pick on NY Troopers.
Old 08-14-2003, 08:23 PM   #11
Nothing But Net
Professor

As you say, a remarkably ineffective letter which will likely never see the light of day, but goddammit I just had to vent.

I have nothing personal against Louisiana, hell, my mom is from there and I've passed many a good time in New Orleans.

I know this is a scam. I saw a piece about it on 20/20 or 60 Minutes 2 a couple of years ago. They rented a van with out-of-state plates, loaded it up with hidden cameras and drove like angels down I-10. Got stopped for 'crossing over the line'. It's all a bullshit fishing expedition.

The cop looked kinda like Gary Sinise, only not as handsome . I admitted to drinking a couple of beers, he asked if I felt impaired, I said no and that was that. The the Nazi asshole started this line of bullshit:

"Where are you coming from?"
"Where are you headed?"
"What is the purpose of your trip?" (or something to that effect)
"What is your address?" He had my fucking license by now, didn't even want to see my proof of insurance.
"Who do you work for?"
"What do you do?"
"Who's in the car with you?"
"Who do those dogs belong to?"

Not one of those questions relate to any of his fucking business. Then he went and talked to Lin who was still in the car. The dogs were going nuts. She told me later that she warned him Baron might bite and he said: "Let him." What would you do, shoot my dog, motherfucker? I swear, I would have killed him with my bare hands if he did that.

To tell you the truth, I was a bit worried a search would turn up my pistol in the passenger compartment. I don't think it's illegal when traveling in LA, even though I don't have a CCL, but I wasn't sure and I sure as fuck don't need the hassle. That's why it was all 'Yes Sir! No Sir!' the whole way.

Also, I was a bit perturbed by all the obvious instances I witnessed of 'driving while black'. I counted no less than three searches going on as I passed by during this trip. It all just pisses me off to no end. As much as I hate to say it, it took a personal injustice to truly feel that pain, and now I understand the humiliation and fear that comes with it.

Fucking cops, breaking the law to enforce a bad law. The irony is truly Kafkaesque.

As we parted company, he said "Do you know your alphabet?".
I said "Wha'?"
Badass Cop: "Say it"
Me: "A-B-C-D-E-F-G-H-I-J-K-L-M-N-O-P-Q-R-S-T-U-V-W-X-Y-Z" (in about 5 seconds)
BC: "Get out of here"
Me: "F-U-C-K-Y-O-U" (well, I was in the car by then)
Old 08-14-2003, 08:35 PM   #12
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally posted by Nothing But Net
The cop looked kinda like Gary Sinise, only not as handsome . I admitted to drinking a couple of beers, he asked if I felt impaired, I said no and that was that.

To tell you the truth, I was a bit worried a search would turn up my pistol in the passenger compartment.

I don't think it's illegal when traveling in LA, even though I don't have a CCL, but I wasn't sure and I sure as fuck don't need the hassle. That's why it was all 'Yes Sir! No Sir!' the whole way.
If you got stopped in PA and admitted to a couple of beers, it probably would have gone further.

Also, the time to consider if a weapon in the passenger compartment is legal in a jurisdiction is before you go there.

You did the right thing. Be polite. Answer questions. Always remember that if they ask you if they can search your vehicle you are allowed to say no. If they did not need to ask because they had 'probable cause', they wouldn't bother to do so.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 08:37 PM   #13
dave

What exactly are they stopping you for, do you presume?
Old 08-14-2003, 08:40 PM   #14
Nothing But Net
Professor

Quote:
Originally posted by dave
What exactly are they stopping you for, do you presume?
Looking for drugs, duh! There were a least 3 cop cars in the vicinity, one of which was a K9 unit, I can assure you.
Old 08-14-2003, 08:40 PM   #15
dave

Ah.

See, I'm not exposed to that kind of thing, so I have no idea.