The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.43 average. Display Modes
Old 03-10-2004, 08:27 PM   #16
Nothing But Net
Professor

Somebody's going to get some yardage out of this stunt.
Attached Images

Nothing But Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 02:20 AM   #17
paranoid
May Ter Dee

Re: 3/10/2004: Tiger Woods' unique tee-off

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
I would imagine it's nice to be the sultan; and I would imagine it's nice to be the greatest golfer of all time. We can only look at amazing pictures like this, and imagine.
I would imagine it's much better to be smart and well-read. He can build a huge-ass hotel in the desert, so what? Last month I've read a couple interesting books, listened to a couple of interesting lectures and learn a lot new stuff. And who is better off now?
paranoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 02:33 AM   #18
jaguar
whig

I won't ask how you know that novice =)
He's right about dubai though, I know a few expats that have done stints over there. Earn a lot but everything is so damn expensive. From memory the presidential suite is $10k per night or so.

Most expensive I've done is about $600, though I've done $400 or so at the one attached to KL Airport on numerous occasions, usually because I can't be stuffed taking the express into the city and dealing with all the crap for a night.
I hope they've upgraded the place since coz last I went there was nowhere you could jack in a laptop which bit some serious ass. Particulary in comparison to 4-head showers and king+ beds.
Old 03-11-2004, 03:45 AM   #19
Torrere
a real smartass

Quote:
Originally posted by stlbob
I wonder how far Tiger's ball would have traveled? Someone smarter than I could probably figure it. We'd only need the height, given by Undertoad at 1000ft, Tiger's normal driving distance, assume no wind, hmmmmm. Sounds like too much work for me. Bet the ball went at least 1000 feet, eh?
Nope. That would be complicated. It's easier to take the normal velocity of his golf balls after being struck by the club and their angle respective to the ground.

According to The Physics of the Golf Swing, Tiger Woods' shots usually travel at 180 miles per hour, or 80.46 meters per second. 12 degrees is apparently the typical angle for golfers. The vertical component of the velocity of his golf ball would be 80.46sin(12°), or 16.72 meters per second. This means that the ball rises another 14 meters and gives it 1.7 seconds before it starts to fall.

If the ball were simply placed in the air at 319 meters, it would take 8.06 seconds to hit the ground.

2 * distance = gravity * time squared

The horizontal component, 80.46 meters * sin(12°), is 78.7 meters per second.

78.7 m/s * (8.1 s + 1.7 s) = 771.3 meters (half a mile) before the ball will splash into the ocean - assuming no air resistance. That'd be one mighty splash.

I surely didn't make any more errors, but if I did I can count on you to correct me.

[edit: I did mess up. When the ball returns to 1000 ft above the surface, it's already going 16.72 m/s - fixed.]

Last edited by Torrere; 03-11-2004 at 09:38 PM.
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 10:31 AM   #20
noodles
Wet Nurse's Aide

i cannot afford to prove or disapprove your calculations. The fact is that it is a picture, and someone pasted it here.

more golfers, more golf widows.
noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 12:09 PM   #21
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Re: Re: 3/10/2004: Tiger Woods' unique tee-off

Quote:
:Originally posted by Undertoad
I would imagine it's nice to be the sultan; and I would imagine it's nice to be the greatest golfer of all time. We can only look at amazing pictures like this, and imagine.
Quote:
Originally posted by paranoid

I would imagine it's much better to be smart and well-read.
According to what standards? I know of plenty of people who would love to be in a position to be as rich as a Sultan (oh, and they are smart and well-read as well).

Quote:
He can build a huge-ass hotel in the desert, so what? Last month I've read a couple interesting books, listened to a couple of interesting lectures and learn a lot new stuff. And who is better off now?
Yeah, who IS better? Someone who boasts that they are better? Hmmmmm.....

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 05:03 PM   #22
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Re: Re: 3/10/2004: Tiger Woods' unique tee-off

Quote:
Originally posted by paranoid

I would imagine it's much better to be smart and well-read. He can build a huge-ass hotel in the desert, so what? Last month I've read a couple interesting books, listened to a couple of interesting lectures and learn a lot new stuff. And who is better off now?
Wouldn't it be nice to be fed skinned grapes and have a pedicure while you read those books?
Old 03-11-2004, 06:52 PM   #23
Griff
still says videotape

Thing is the Sultan has to live in the mid-east, that takes a lot of the fun outa being rich. Tiger has the better part... except he has to play golf all the time. I'll take being a regular Joe in the good old USA thanks.
Old 03-12-2004, 10:14 AM   #24
CharlieG
Hoodoo Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by Torrere

Nope. That would be complicated. ...snip...

- assuming no air resistance. ..snip...

I surely didn't make any more errors, but if I did I can count on you to correct me.

...snip...
Yeah, and it's even worse than you think - because of course we can't discount air resistance, and even stranger with a golf ball - LIFT. All those dimples? They create lift due to the fairly large amount of spin on the ball - you loose some velocity (due to drag), but gain lift, keeping it off the ground longer

Ugh
CharlieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 02:46 PM   #25
Torrere
a real smartass

And howinthehell are we going to get the drag coefficient?

We could find the air pressure. We already know the height above sea level (but - would this ball be falling far enough that we would need differential equations?), and we could find the temperature and weather that day (or we could approximate). The dimples will also make finding the cross-sectional area of the golf ball a pain, right?

I don't even want to think about lift - at least not until/if we can get air resistance squared away.
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 06:19 PM   #26
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Christ, do you guys do everything the hard way?
Bribe the Concierge.
Old 03-12-2004, 07:56 PM   #27
stlbob
Romantic Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by stlbob
I wonder how far Tiger's ball would have traveled?
Amazing isn't it? Make a small comment and boom, the math geeks pop outta the woodwork!
stlbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 08:18 PM   #28
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally posted by Torrere
And howinthehell are we going to get the drag coefficient?

We could find the air pressure. We already know the height above sea level (but - would this ball be falling far enough that we would need differential equations?), and we could find the temperature and weather that day (or we could approximate). The dimples will also make finding the cross-sectional area of the golf ball a pain, right?

I don't even want to think about lift - at least not until/if we can get air resistance squared away.
I'm sure the manufacturer could provide lift and drag numbers.
Old 03-13-2004, 08:33 AM   #29
quzah
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

Quote:
The richest man in the world is not Tiger Woods; it's the sultan of Dubai
Really? I think Mr. Gates would dispute that. Or is he just the richest in America. And Tiger? Not a chance. Not even close enough for consideration.

Quzah.
quzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 08:45 AM   #30
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Looks like you're right - I'm not sure where I got that "fact" from...
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote