The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 06-21-2006, 02:47 PM   #1
Pangloss62
Lecturer

Iraq Abduction

BAGHDAD, Iraq (AP) - Iraqi police and a witness say about 85 workers have been abducted as they left their jobs at an industrial plant north of Baghdad.

The witness says militants nabbed the workers near the plant's parking lot. An engineer at the plant says gunmen in cars intercepted workers leaving the site on the plant's buses and a minivan.

The workers are thought to be mostly Shiite. The plant is in a mostly Sunni area.

If they start lopping off more heads, I'm gonna scream.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:02 PM   #2
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

get ready to scream. that's sop with these nutjobs.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 09:18 PM   #3
Kagen4o4
The Sheriff of Nothingland

im sorry but i was waiting for a punchline and thought i got one but then read it again and realised it wasnt a joke.

this is how i read it
Quote:
The workers are thought to be mostly Shite. The plant is in a mostly Sunny area.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:56 PM   #4
rkzenrage

Time to go.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:13 AM   #5
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

New York Times of 22 Jun 2006:
Quote:
Hussein Lawyer Seized and Slain in Baghdad Raid
Saddam Hussein's trial on crimes against humanity was struck by new violence on Wednesday when a senior lawyer on his defense team was abducted, beaten and shot to death. The defense lawyer was the third to be killed since the trial began in October, and the 10th person associated with the court trying Mr. Hussein to be killed in the last 18 months.

According to his widow, the lawyer, Khamis al-Obeidi, 39, was asleep when at least 10 gunmen in civilian clothes stormed their home in the mostly Sunni Arab district of Slaikh at 7 a.m. and pulled him from bed within view of his three school-age children.
These stories are now so routine as to almost never be reported. This type violence kills maybe 1000 Iraqis per month. Let's see. Saddam killed maybe 1500 Iraqis per month. American 'liberation' only kills about 1000. Numbers prove Americans are a more righteous and moral people.
Quote:
Witnesses said the killers had driven the lawyer five miles from his home to an area known as Hamidiya
Same city where Americans are also accused of murdering Iraqis.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 08:34 AM   #6
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
American 'liberation' only kills about 1000.
Yeah, but we have to be there! We found some rusty old shells in the desert that could have been used to kill American families! That's why we're at war, saving these people.

Santorum needs to shut the hell up.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 09:05 AM   #7
Pangloss62
Lecturer

Santorum Shite

I can't speak to the whereabouts of WMD, but I concur that Santorum is an ass. I can't stand that guy!

Old 06-22-2006, 09:17 AM   #8
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Wow. I think it's time to mail a certain Senator a basic "Intro to Anthropology" book.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:05 AM   #9
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

So you are quite certain, Kitsune, that you have unimpeachable examples of societies doing any or all the above, particularly in preference to het marriages? This I have to see. [Don't make extraordinary claims without having the extraordinary evidence cold.]
Old 06-22-2006, 11:09 AM   #10
Urbane Guerrilla

Unlike tw -- whose thinking seldom resembles mine, as I am not some stupid, hackneyed, jaded, tertiary-syphilis case of a Blame America Firster like him -- what I find interesting about all this is that Saddam is so unpopular they're shooting his defense lawyers. And they don't seem to be hiring foreigners for the job.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:22 AM   #11
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla
examples of societies doing any or all the above, particularly in preference to het marriages? This I have to see. [Don't make extraordinary claims without having the extraordinary evidence cold.]
"Included homosexuality"? Yes.
"Man on child"? Define "child" and how that varies from culture to culture. Answer, anyway, is "yes".
"Man on dog"? Oddly enough, yes.

"In preference to" has nothing to do with it, not to mention that the rediculous comparisons he is somehow trying to draw. But his claim of "every society" is bullshit. Santorum needs to read up on the interesting cultures of sex and marriage customs of Pacific Islanders, India, and tribes in Africa.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:51 PM   #12
Urbane Guerrilla

Man on child, however defined, doesn't seem to appear as a "definition of marriage," which is how I read Santorum's remark. Heterosexual unions with a wide age difference strike me differently from Classical Greek paederasty -- which was itself notable for being a minority practice only, and not apparently widespread enough to occupy even the entire bisexual population of ancient Greece.

I'll read the "Man on dog," and while we're at it, cf. the Arab historian's account of a Viking funerary ritual featuring "man on mare." Yep, it was a different way to mount a horse.

Now the way I read the Wiki entry on "dog" is that the whole business is much more a ritual, often performed for luck, than ever thought of as a way to make a family. It looks like no one anywhere tries to make that leap.

Last edited by Urbane Guerrilla; 06-22-2006 at 12:54 PM.
Urbane Guerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 01:20 PM   #13
rkzenrage

A contract must be between two parties who can consent... this idiot does not know that?
Can we get him a lobotomy for Christmas?
Old 06-22-2006, 01:22 PM   #14
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla
Now the way I read the Wiki entry on "dog" is that the whole business is much more a ritual, often performed for luck, than ever thought of as a way to make a family.
"Family" is a relative term and applies to so many different combinations of people, today, that I know marriage isn't required. Maybe you were talking about producing children? It is very clear marriage isn't required for that, either, so I'd even go as far as to say that westernized marriages are nothing more than a "ritual often performed for luck".
Old 06-22-2006, 01:58 PM   #15
Pangloss62
Lecturer

Namaste?? Isn't that like Gunga Din?