The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 04-16-2013, 06:55 AM   #31
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Yeah, and in the last day or two we killed 30 civilians at a wedding party or some such in Afghanistan. Bad intel or an accident, I don't recall.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:13 AM   #32
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

All I know is that this happened. Here. A Marathon is not war. A Marathon is people doing something for themself: to feel better, to achieve a goal, to work towards something...and the loved ones who were so proud of their achievement.

My sister-in-law ran the Chicago Marathon this year. First time ever. She decided to do it, and so she did. My brother had text by text updates and was able to give her a quick kiss about halfway, and meet her at the finish line. She said the last 2 miles were the hardest thing ever (you don't train the entire 26.2 at all) and she was crying and happy and with the love of her life when she finished. I also followed along on the GPS thing they had set up.

To think that this could have happened there (because it can happen anywhere) and to think how horrifying and devastating it was to those who were there in Boston yesterday...it's hard to fathom. 3 dead, one 8 year old boy, lost limbs, probably some PTSD coming along. I think there may be more fatalities when all is said and done, considering how many are in critical condition.

So I don't find the jokes particularly funny. And I don't appreciate using this as an opportunity to argue about Obama vs Bush vs War vs Fault vs...who the fuck cares right now?

We're so insulated. It happened in Boston. Not down the street from you. They weren't your loved ones, probably. But they were someone's loved ones. What makes me an ineffectual corporate rat also makes me a caring compassionate person. And I am more than disgusted with the evil crap in this world.

Expecting the typicals flames from the typical flamer, but I won't apologize for having cried over such a bullshit cowardly act of murder.

edit: I heard a couple jokes in the office as the news was going around. That's what I was talking about. It reminds me of 9/11 when I had to go work lunch at the Country Club and some asshole came in off the course and wanted to know who we pissed off now, as he chuckled and drank his beer.

Last edited by infinite monkey; 04-16-2013 at 07:27 AM.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:39 AM   #33
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore View Post
I think Americans in general are certainly hyper-sensitive to terrorist attacks, foreign and domestic. However, we're also of the mindset that, "Hey, fuck you! You don't try and fuck with my parade! Now we're gonna make an even bigger parade...and walk around naked too!"
No, no they're not. Unless by sensitive you mean able to be quickly outraged after an event rather than alert to prevent them? But they're hyper-dramatic once they've happened.

Sadly, even airport security still leaves a lot to be desired, never mind public awareness (which means watching for suspicious things in large crowds, not knowing exactly what you were doing the moment it happened and posting on facebook about how much you are praying....) .

Yes, there are now sniffer machines and x-ray machines and metal detectors and guards with even more guns and scary dogs at the airports.... and you can't wear shoes or take knitting needles on a plane.......... but two weeks ago at Metro Detroit there were STILL piles of unattended bags everywhere.

I grew up undwr the threat of IRA attacks and weekly bomb scare and let me tell you the American public is NOT "hyper-sensitive"

And the immediate assumption is foreign terrorism? Who recently shot up a primary schoool, a movie theater, a place of worship......? And who bombed Oklahoma City?
Old 04-16-2013, 07:52 AM   #34
infinite monkey

Agreed, monster. I think we were more hyper-sensitive during the cold war.

But, I also heard they had police officers everywhere. Every so many yards or something.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:00 AM   #35
monster
I hear them call the tide

who also need some alertness training....

I am really, really horrified by this event, but I am equally horrified about the reaction. Stop being so goddamn arrogant. It can happen ANYWHERE for ANY REASON. All it takes is one nutjob with know-how or guns who thinks they have a grievance. There's an unending supply of them. Let's focus on not giving them the opportunity (and maybe fewer "reasons")
Old 04-16-2013, 08:53 AM   #36
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
So, like, be chill, America, act all cool and stuff, don't play this up too much, but, like, still nail whoever did it.
This.

The point of terrorism is to make us hurt ourselves by over-reacting to it. We and our loved ones are much more likely to die by choking to death than as the result of a terrorist attack. Let law enforcement and government agents figure out who did this and bring them to justice. And keep calm and carry on. We'll be fine.

We don't need to rush into another two wars in the mideast over this like we did after 9/11.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:04 AM   #37
infinite monkey

I don't advocate war either. And yes, 'we'll' be fine. But some of 'we' are not fine today, and that is my focus.

On 9/11 someone probably also choked to death in Peoria. A woman probably died in childbirth somewhere in Seattle. They were more likely to be dead from those things than from a terrorist attack. Great. But I might focus on the ~3000 who were dead as the result of an act of terror.

I'm not quite ready to walk down the street whistling as if I'm trying to avoid the cornfield.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:28 AM   #38
Lamplighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
who also need some alertness training....
I am really, really horrified by this event, but I am equally horrified about the reaction.
Stop being so goddamn arrogant. It can happen ANYWHERE for ANY REASON.
All it takes is one nutjob with know-how or guns who thinks they have a grievance.
There's an unending supply of them.

Let's focus on not giving them the opportunity (and maybe fewer "reasons")
Oregon has it's share of "Wile E Coyote's and Acme Mail Order Co."

IdahoOnYourSide
Mike Sharp
Apr. 15, 2013

Two Ontario men injured in detonation of homemade explosives, police investigate
Quote:
In a remote area near Vale, Ore., two men were dealt life-threatening injuries
after their homemade explosives detonated - eventually landing them in hospitals in Portland and Boise.

"They were able to summon assistance after the explosion from a relative who
then transported them in their vehicle to Saint Alphonsus," says Ontario, Ore. Police Chief Mark Alexander.

But, the Ontario neighbors of the two men say, it's not the remote scene in the desert that worries them the most.

“(An) officer comes to the door and tells me that the neighbor had been making bombs
and there were several bomb materials inside the home," says next-door-neighbor Nikina Williamson.

Police evacuated Williamson’s home, finding even more explosives where the men lived
-- a home that happens to be right next door to a daycare,
and just feet away from where small children play.
<snip>
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:35 PM   #39
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
Forgot, the Prez is basically Phil Hartman. Smarmy dickhead in inconsequential comedy sketches.
We know from facts and history that an attack is most likely performed by one who entertains his emotions - like a child. That post demonstrates thoughts typically found and avocated in terrorist circles. He jiust knows because rhetoric (the political agenda) tells him what to know. And then posts disparaging comments to prove his ‘knowledge‘.

An adult who is an adult, instead, replies with informed reasoning.

Flint demonstrates hate actively promoted by Limbaugh, Beck, Hannity, and others. Same hate feared a mosque in lower Manhattan. And makes likely more events such as Boston, Atlanta, Arizona, and Sandy Hook.

No adult who thinks like an adult would do that act. That is the point. 'Left verses right' is another bogeyman to inspire adults to act like children. Who would even insult a President who is undoing economic, political, and international damage created by wacko extremists rhetoric.

Terrorists are typically the worst example of extremists. Terrorism is performed by extremists who only know what they were told to believe. Who get angry and take revenge when others (moderates) instead use their prefrontal cortex. Domestic extremists, brainwashed in the hate rhetoric of Limbaugh and other right wing extremists, are a most likely suspect. Domestic terrorists need bogeymen to justify their hate and resulting actions.

A responsible post would have addressed reasons why terrorists are inspired to be harmful and destructive. Why this Boston event occurred. But that means posting as a moderate without profanity. And without cheap shots.

Limbaugh and even religious extremists (similar type people) preach something completely different. Called hate.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:19 PM   #40
Lamplighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
Ummm.... that's from the NY Post
- not to be confused with the NY Times or the Washington Post

International Business Times
Ellen Killoran
April 16 2013 3:54 PM

One Day After Boston Bombing, New York Post Has Not Retracted
Presumably Incorrect Reports Of Death Toll And Saudi Suspect

Quote:
On Monday afternoon, the New York Post published a dramatic report
that was widely aggregated and shared by thousands:
The Rupert Murdoch-owned tabloid claimed that 12 people were killed by explosions
at the finish line of the Boston Marathon, and that a suspect
-- a Saudi Arabian male -- was being questioned at a Boston hospital.

At the time of the report, Boston Police officials were reporting a death toll of two
(which has since been raised to three); the Post was the first to report that any suspects were in custody.

As the story began to circulate widely on Twitter
-- with little corroboration from more-reputable news sources -- skepticism grew. <snip>

But the Post refused to acknowledge any errors in reporting,
even after a spokesperson for the Boston Police Department told
Talking Points Memo that no suspects had been taken into custody.

"Honestly, I don't know where they're getting their information from,
but it didn't come from us," the spokesperson said.
<snip>
From my readings of various news articles, a Saudi student has now been exonerated.
He was a runner in the marathon... injured by the 1st bomb...
and was tackled by a bystander who "thought he was acting suspiciously".
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:38 PM   #41
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The CBS TV reporter on the scene, about 4:30 or so, mentioned the guy being tackled because he was running away from the blast, quickly pointing out so was everyone else. He said the guy was cooperative will the police and not arrested. Just a case of an over zealous bystander.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:44 PM   #42
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Here's a showing of compassion by the people of Boston.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:24 AM   #43
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
Ummm.... that's from the NY Post
- not to be confused with the NY Times or the Washington Post
Yeah, they lie sometimes.
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2013, 01:30 AM   #44
elSicomoro

Wow...I had never heard of them getting the Titanic wrong. Awesome find!
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:49 AM   #45
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
Forgot, the Prez is basically Phil Hartman. Smarmy dickhead in inconsequential comedy sketches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
... an attack is most likely performed by one who entertains his emotions - like a child. ... posts disparaging comments to prove his ‘knowledge‘. ... [tw] demonstrates hate actively promoted by [who cares] ... No adult who thinks like an adult would do that act. ... 'Left verses right' is another bogeyman to inspire adults to act like children. Who would even insult a President ...
Not a President, THE President. It's a position, not a person. I was referring to the position.

But as a thought experiment, let's assume I was disparaging W. Bush. What do we see happen then? There's tw, on the hate-monger bandwagon, waving that 'left versus right' flag. Ironic, huh? Hold a mirror up to yourself.

Oh, and watch your fucking mouth when speaking to a grown man. I guarantee you don't do that shit in real life, or by now you would have had your fucking face smashed in. DESERVEDLY.

How's that for fodder--now lay into me.

Do you jack off to your own posts, tw?

Oh, wait, is it only tw who is allowed to let his childish emotions get the better of him--are us lesser beings afforded the same luxury? Let's see. I expect tw will now log in and apologize for his comments, and own up to his shortcomings..? Don't hold your breath.

In short: fuck off, tw.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote