The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 08-28-2014, 02:07 AM   #76
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Big difference between SE and JB.

SE dropped in and trolled for a little while and got banned. Then started a new account and trolled for a while and got banned.

JB was a member for quite some time. Sometimes he was troublesome, sometimes he was a thoughtful member of the community who shared his life and something of himself.

You don't become a 'dwellar' by joining. That just makes you a member. You become a 'dwellar' by joining and making friends, becoming a part of the community and contributing in some way. Even if the way you contribute is by becoming the resident troll through years of trolling.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 04:42 PM   #77
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Like JBKlyde, Starring_Emma had psych issues. She had been an inpatient for several months, much as Sundae is going to be, shortly before arriving in the Cellar. Like JBKlyde, Starring-Emma exhibited aberrant behaviors and was banned. Whereas JBKlyde could be personable, Starring_Emma was bright and her prognosis is much better than it can be for JBKlyde. She was young, vibrant, and bright enough that she was able to out debate some dwellars here. That seemed to bring distain from the old crones who were indifferent to her being an impaired minor. In this country, such people are given a clean slate when they reach the age of majority. Their juvenile records are sealed so they're not penalized for having been impaired before they became their own responsible party. It's the same in other advanced countries; except, for the old crones who will be old crones wherever they are.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:40 PM   #78
DanaC

Never said she shouldnt be allowed back. Just said she wasn't a 'dwellar'. She wasn't here long enough and didn't engage enough beyond game playing to become a 'dwellar' in the way JB did. She didn't become a part of the community, nor was she interested in doing so - she was just a site member for a little while. Lots of people join the site - but you have to become a part of the community (imo) to be a dwellar in the 'once a dwellar always a dwellar' sense. If she came back then maybe she would. Like you say - people change. They grow up. I have no problem with giving her another chance if she were to show up here again.

Leave Sundae out of this. Not even remotely the same situation.

[eta] Actually I'll qualify that a little: anybody who joins could be considered a dwellar whilst they're posting here. But if someone joins and stays for a couple of weeks - makes a few posts and doesn't really make themselves a part of the community and then leaves then it doesn't seem appropriate to me to say 'once a dwellar always a dwellar'. But JB was a part of this community. No matter how annoying he occasionally was, he shared something of himself and made himself a part of the fabric of this place over several years.

Any one of us could go off the deep end and I'd expect at least a degree of forbearance from the rest - because that's been built up over time. But someone breezing in and breaking out the fruit loops straight off hasn't built the basis of that forbearance.

That said, there were very particular reasons why SE ended up being banned - as I recall there was some worrying stuff going on via PMs and the mods stepped in because of that - it wasn't just the being annoying that made that happen. If that's all that had been going on I doubt it would have resulted in bans and she might have chilled out over time.

Last edited by DanaC; 08-28-2014 at 07:16 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:27 PM   #79
sexobon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
... (imo) ...
THANK YOU!

Quote:
... Leave Sundae out of this. Not even remotely the same situation.
[smilie mine]

Jane, you ignorant slut. It was Sundae who brought up a possible disparity in the use of the term "inpatient" which was in my post. I put that in for clarification:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
... including living in "practice accommodation". All in-patient, and in case that term doesn't translate it means I don't go home. ...
Old 08-28-2014, 07:47 PM   #80
DanaC

Oh shush you old codger. You're just jeal she didn't send her inappropriate teeny pics to you on PM.

Oh! Or maybe she did! Dirty old man!
Old 08-28-2014, 08:10 PM   #81
sexobon

Quote:
[eta] ... That said, there were very particular reasons why SE ended up being banned - as I recall there was some worrying stuff going on via PMs and the mods stepped in because of that - it wasn't just the being annoying that made that happen.
After Emma strolled on in here, I did a Google search for clues as to where she was going with it. I'm the one who let UT know Emma had discussed her inpatient time in another public forum and had been banned elsewhere: I provided the links. I'm the one who suggested that Emma, a psychologically impaired MINOR, should be removed from the Cellar for ethical considerations and for her own protection. After UT sent her to Coventry (genius, pure genius on his part), UT posted that there was additional information available from him by PM.

Your "very particular reasons" and "worrying stuff" is stuff that I provided and addressed in my earlier post.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:50 AM   #82
DanaC

So, my recollection was right. Good oh. Which explains why she was banned.

In which case - what exactly is your point? Why even bring her up, when I suggested to his brother that JB will 'always be a dwellar'?

Oh that's right: you were just trolling.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:19 PM   #83
sexobon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
Quote:
... Banned or not: once a dwellar, always a dwellar :p
Saaaaaay, that reminds me. ...
I specifically said that your statement reminded me of what I elaborated on. It wasn't a reply to you. I was considering which others who were banned had the potential to reintegrate if during the meantime their status changed, as JBKlyde's might do with help from his brother, and they were given the opportunity to be ... always a dwellar. Your statement was only a trigger. You seem to be quite paranoid. Perhaps you should try cutting back on the dope.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:25 PM   #84
DanaC

Ahh. I see. I misunderstood you. Thought you were making a direct comparison.

To cut back on the dope would first require having some to cut back on :P