The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 10-27-2013, 04:33 PM   #16
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

Ok, so we had a blast and I can't wait to do it again. Too bad our families all live so far away, and we have to go visit them too, otherwise, we'd be on a cruise every year!

I'm not going to re-post all the photos from Facebook, but the album is public if anyone isn't a friend on FB and wants to view - Facebook album

The only negative was having all five of us crammed in one cabin. We got snappy with one another when trying to get ready to go anywhere. We didn't get seasick or any other kind of sick. I had every imaginable kind of medicine in my first aid kit and needed none of it! .

Grand Cayman was very commercial and I've seen better snorkeling in the Keys. But no one else had ever been snorkeling or seen tropical fish nose to nose. So they were pretty awed. Which made me happy!

Cozumel was also very touristy, at least in the city/port area. I live 3 miles from one of the best beaches in the world, so beaches don't impress me by their mere existence. I had hired a driver and van to spend the day with us, and had asked them to take us to specific places.

One place I got zero pictures of was the Chocolate Factory . It was a very quaint compound with a charming host and very informative tour of the history of chocolate as well as a taste of various flavors of chocolate. My family was highly pissed off to discover that that delicious smelling chocolate bean was extremely bitter and nasty when the host popped a tiny bite into their mouths . We went to a Tequila Factory, except it wasn't really, but they had some wonderful tequila flavors. Yes, we tasted them. But what happens on the cruise ship vacation stays on the cruise ship vacation.

After that, we went to the San Gervasio ruins. Our lovely driver, Jerry, went off and procured "the best tour guide" for the ruins. We enjoyed his description of the goddess Ixchil, the city, the culture and each building's purpose. He discouraged taking photos while he was talking, so as to maintain focus and speed us up. I went back and took photos later, but had trouble remembering everything he told us. Can't find a lot of what he described on the internet either. Oh well. My spouse and son were fascinated, daughters not so much.

I had asked our driver to take us to a less popular, more local restaurant for lunch, so he took us to the far side of Cozumel. He shared with us that the government kept the southeastern side of the island undeveloped to preserve the natural beauty of the place. This is literal, in that only a road and bike trail exist along the SE coast. No electricity, no running water, no utilities, no gas stations, shops, houses, condos, no traffic lights and only 6 restaurants are permitted to do business along the beach. They are spread out so far, you cannot see one from another. We were told they truck in water and cook with propane. We went to Playa Bonita, which only had one full wall, one partial wall and a thatched roof. THey served us the most delicious Mexican food I've ever eaten. I'm only sad I got full too soon to finish it all. The breeze kept us comfortable and cool.
After lunch, we had to go back to the ship and say goodbye to Cozumel and Jerry.

I don't know how many of you have been on a cruise, but it is the ultimate pampering experience. You have meal choices between a sit down fancy restaurant for breakfast and dinner, or a couple of buffets for lunch. Additionally, there is a deli and a pizza parlor 24/7. Room service is available 24/7 as well. Soft serve ice cream is available all day and night. On top of this, they have special buffets...one was a mexican buffet and one was a chocolate decadence buffet. The dinner food is amazing...lobster, steak, prime rib, veal parm, chicken piccata, as well as hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken nuggets, meatloaf, and many different salads + salad bar to name just a very few of the choices. We had a steward who makes up the beds in the morning, cleans up the cabin, then turns down the beds at night, complete with a complementary chocolate on your pillow and cute little towel animal. Everyone is super friendly and helpful and happy.

My youngest loved Camp Carnival and I was happy with their level of security. They had non-stop activities from 10 am until 10 pm, plus another 4 hours of paid activities, until 2 am, if desired. She stayed late almost every night for the Night Owl events (movies, dances, crafts, etc.) One afternoon was a build-a-bear event, which she went to with daddy.

It was rough having to come back to reality, let me tell you. I did miss my own cooking, but not the actual work or clean up involved, lol. I put on 4 lbs, which I expected. I had lost 6 lbs prior to the cruise, so I'm actually still ahead. My partner and I made a pact to enjoy everything without guilt or recriminations for those 5 days, and we certainly did.

I'm uploading a couple of photos that I didn't put on facebook because they were flawed (closed eyes, blurry, etc.) , but I still like them.
Attached Images

Old 10-27-2013, 04:43 PM   #17
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormieweather View Post
I'm not going to re-post all the photos from Facebook, but the album is public if anyone isn't a friend on FB and wants to view - Facebook album
Quote:
Sorry, this page isn't available

The link you followed may be broken, or the page may have been removed.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:11 PM   #18
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

Maybe this link?

Cruise album
Old 10-27-2013, 07:35 PM   #19
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That's more gooder.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:45 PM   #20
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Glad you had fun , ours was a blast as well , Hell just sitting in a lounge chair at nite watching a Movie on the big screen over the center pool with a Good dark sipping rum was the best !!
Old 10-28-2013, 05:41 PM   #21
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

So glad you had a good trip! Even with the touristy bits (like Cayman), the cruise lines do things up very nicely. The pampering is lovely and there are cruises to suit every taste.