The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 12-27-2003, 10:44 AM   #31
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

The drive-in my family and I used to frequent is now a strip mall my mom shops at in South St. Louis County. The last movie I saw there was E.T.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 12:51 PM   #32
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
The best "soda pop" machines are still those where the bottles are right there but you can't pull them out of their little metal holder thingie until you put the money in.

And then you still try to beat the mechanism by pulling out two bottles at the same time, but it doesn't work because the mechanism is just right.

I'm sure these old machines are wasteful of energy, with the door letting the cold air out of all the bottles. And the glass bottles would break and wreak havoc, and they were heavy, and they didn't hold much, and if they were returnable somebody had to haul them back to the bottler.

But it was better dammit.
Before Harley Davidson made their dealers remodel for the yuppies, Hanums in Media, had a Coke machine that sold the heavy glass 6 1/2 oz bottles. That stuff would take the scum from a 3 day binge, off your tongue. Or the chrome off your bumper.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 08:30 PM   #33
warch
lurkin old school

Cardboard records you'd cut out from the sides of cereal boxes.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 01:22 AM   #34
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally posted by warch
Cardboard records you'd cut out from the sides of cereal boxes.
Man I forgot all about those things!
Old 12-29-2003, 09:49 AM   #35
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I even ate cereal I couldn't stand for those sometimes.

My next entry: actual prizes in Crackerjack ... what they are putting in there now are certainly less likely to result in a liability lawsuit, but the joy of finding the miniature compass in a tire or the bug's eye viewer can not be felt by today's children.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 10:08 AM   #36
warch
lurkin old school

Cereal boxes were regularly bowed out and ripped up, to say nothing of the poor cereal, as my bro and I dug in there for gold. Cereal? what cereal?

We'd get in trouble if we cut out the box before the cereal was gone...on one occasion my dad tossed the empty box of Honeycomb which included a pressed record of "Sugar" (appropriate) by the Archies. Gone...gone...We raises such a ruckus he yelled at us, stormed out and returned with a new 45 (record)

This was also a time when we'd use that glass bottled milk with the cardboard top-the milkman left it on our doorstep in a silver insulated box.

Boy, now I feel old.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 11:10 AM   #37
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

We had the milk delivery when I was a youth, and then it stopped. And then, in 1977, we up and lived in England for a while, and the milk delivery was back again. This time it was better: it was in pint bottles, and it was not homogenized so the cream floated to the top. You'd either pour it off for use as cream later, or you'd stir it in if you preferred whole milk.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 11:28 AM   #38
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

My #1 ex's grandfather used to pour off the cream for his cereal then eat it with a fork leaving a bowl of slightly used cream for the kids.
Old 12-29-2003, 02:10 PM   #39
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
We had the milk delivery when I was a youth, and then it stopped. And then, in 1977, we up and lived in England for a while, and the milk delivery was back again. This time it was better: it was in pint bottles, and it was not homogenized so the cream floated to the top. You'd either pour it off for use as cream later, or you'd stir it in if you preferred whole milk.
And man, if you forgot to bring in the milk one morning, it was spoiled by noon.
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 04:09 PM   #40
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

UH....i vaguely remember the invention of the microwave oven? sears came out with a geigercounter after we had it for a year...."just to check" ....I do not currently own a microwave......I have a convection toaster oven.

....and the vcr.......did any of you go beta?

what makes me feel old is when i get a loan approved for someone who was born in 1984. and i graduated in '88.

after reading this thread, though, i'm feeling slightly more sprightly.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 05:16 PM   #41
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

No microwave!? How do you dry off the pets after a bath?
Old 12-29-2003, 05:20 PM   #42
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Or make funky designs on CDRs?
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 05:20 PM   #43
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

One of my HS teachers swore by Beta, and would only use VHS when necessary...and this was '93.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 06:29 PM   #44
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
One of my HS teachers swore by Beta, and would only use VHS when necessary...and this was '93.
'93?!? whoa. i was a manager at a local video store chain and we only carried VHS. that was from '89 to 91, in the collage days.

as a kid i used to like to catch roaches with a paper towel then wad it up so they couldn't get out and the zap them until they popped in the microwave. sick i know, but i'm sure someone has done worse......
Old 12-29-2003, 06:39 PM   #45
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

The only time i miss the microwave is when i want microwave popcorn, but as i am now 2 mos into the atkins diet, and can't have popcorn anyway, I don't miss it at all. jinx assures me that the microwave destroys most of the nutrients in food anyway. plus this toaster is almost as fast. and food is crispy not soggy.

PS. why the fuck is the semi colon where it is instead of where the apostrophe is?! i use the apostrophe all the time, and hardly ever use the semicolon. I'd like to start a revolution about this. I must have backed up 3 or 4 times to correct the semicolon typo. maybe i just shouldn;t bother. yeah, that;s it. that;s my revolution right there. i will no longer bother to correct that typo when i miss the apostrophe key and hit semi by mistake! who;s with me?!

-no i'm not drunk.....i;m just punchy from a busy day

Last edited by lumberjim; 12-29-2003 at 06:43 PM.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote