The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 02-22-2011, 09:15 AM   #166
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Russia blames Google for stirring Egypt unrest-WSJ

Quote:
MOSCOW Feb 22 (Reuters) - Prime Minister Vladimir Putin's deputy blamed Google Inc in an interview published on Tuesday for stirring up trouble in the revolution that ousted Egyptian leader Hosni Mubarak.

"Look what they have done in Egypt, those highly-placed managers of Google, what manipulations of the energy of the people took place there," Russian Deputy Prime Minister Igor Sechin told the Wall Street Journal.

Such strong comment from one of Putin's most trusted deputies is a clear signal of growing concern among Russian hardliners about the role of the Internet in the unrest which has swept across the Arab world.
what fools....

http://af.reuters.com/article/tunisi...110222?sp=true
Old 02-22-2011, 09:24 AM   #167
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Merc I watched a documentary the other day where Ugandan schoolchildren blamed homosexuality on Western influence and specifically mentioned a Rhianna video (I haven't seen it - I think she kisses a girl).

Given that homosexuality is already punishable by imprisonment there, and there are moves to make it a capital punishment, that's one hell of an advertising campaign.

Poor old Coca Cola. They wish they could have that kind of influence.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:12 AM   #168
TheMercenary

I think one of the great influences on that issue in many of the African countries is the religious evangelical who are selling a radical form of Christianity to the masses. There has been a number of articles in recent years on the subject, I will see if I can dig some up.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:13 AM   #169
TheMercenary

In the mean time Reason Mag is a great source for logical discourse. This is pretty good:

The End of a Libyan Crime Family
They might hold out temporarily, but it’s over for the Qaddafi clan.

http://reason.com/archives/2011/02/2...ibyan-crime-fa
Old 02-22-2011, 01:09 PM   #170
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
I think one of the great influences on that issue in many of the African countries is the religious evangelical who are selling a radical form of Christianity to the masses. There has been a number of articles in recent years on the subject, I will see if I can dig some up.
It's definitely coming from the churches. And the teachers hold to fundamental doctrine too - no idea if they recommend killing for eating prawns or the stoning of disobedient children though.

One of the clips I watched showed a sex education class where it was claimed "A man's anus is licked like this" simulated the sucking and licking of an ice-cream "Aad then what happens, even poo-poo comes out, and then they eat the poo-poo." This is what they teach their children. Homosexuality = coprophagia.

Would Two Girls One Cup blow their minds?
Oh no, sorry. It would confirm their suspicions
Old 02-22-2011, 01:55 PM   #171
TheMercenary

I hate to say it but usually their leaders are more often concerned with consolidating power and getting the bulk of revenues and kick backs from oil or mineral contracts and less concerned with what is happening to their people. They need to reign in those religious zealots.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:50 PM   #172
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Oil? Africa?

Yes of course all they want is to consolidate their power. And no, giving a damn about their starving people is not even on the agenda.
But this kind of sick homophobia, where they declare it non-African, and claim it has come in as a disease from overseas is just repulsive.

Historically Africa had a (slight) tolerance towards homosexuality. Along the lines of don't ask don't tell. Now they believe gays are actively recruiting.

There are far too many reports to deny that across the African continent straight men believe sex with a virgin female can cure a man of being HIV positive. How many women does that infect? And how many therefore give birth to an HIV positive baby? (I know it isn't 100%, but hell it raises the risks)

But a gay man finds another man to kiss, to hold, to care for, to love. He might end up sucking his cock, rimming or fucking; in truth it's more about a connection between two people. And they can be prosecuted. They can be imprisoned. They can be CONDEMNED TO DEATH. The latter is a big thing for the majority of the Wstern World who eshew the death penalty; entry to the Europeon Union depends on it for example.

Last edited by Sundae; 02-22-2011 at 02:59 PM.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:47 AM   #173
Uday
Poker Playing Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
I hate to say it but usually their leaders are more often concerned with consolidating power and getting the bulk of revenues and kick backs from oil or mineral contracts and less concerned with what is happening to their people. They need to reign in those religious zealots.
What do you think is cause people to listen to those religious zealots in the first place?
Uday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:41 AM   #174
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uday View Post
What do you think is cause people to listen to those religious zealots in the first place?
Facebook?

(i couldn't help myself) (sorry!)
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:00 PM   #175
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
It's easy for religous zealot leaders to motivate and organize religous zealots, so they can make concerted efforts, whether in speech or violence, to promote their viewpoint. And if they have a prominent voice, they can accuse others of not being religious enough, which can turn people who aren't zealots, but still have a feeling that more religious is better, against those targets.

I hope Egypt's military allows a true representative government, but if they do, then the Egyptians are going to have a huge job cut out for them. The theocrats will never stop trying to take over.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:28 PM   #176
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
A friend (ethically challenged) was one of those call center people who would even sell bonds from a Nigerian Prince. Best people to call were the most religious. They would religiously believe the first thing they are told. And then deny with aggression when reality showed them that truth was otherwise.

The most religious, in history, are some of the most dangerous. Because they are the most easily brainwashed. Because they never learn what is necessary to know something. And because they promote that "god's decree" at the expense of mankind.

One need only read the discussion Pedophilia Irish Style to appreciate how religious people will condom and continue to hide child rape - for the greater glory of god. No honest person would find that acceptable. The cover up (in Philadelphia) is traceable to all three past Cardinals. This latest coverup traceable to the Cardinal's man who was supposed to identify and avert pedophilia.

Meanwhile, Voices of the Faithful, a church group demanding reform, has been banned or uninvited from many parishes. Their demands based in facts is objectionable to the more emotional in that religion.

Three examples of who is most easily manipulated by organized religion, corrupt leaders, and religious zealots. Advertising is so effective for the same reason. Large numbers of people only believe what they are ordered to believe. They feel rather than think. Even forget from junior high science what is necessary to know anything - always required hard facts with numbers. Those who know because they feel make fertile ground for zealots. Learning the difference between an emotion and a fact is either difficult or impossible for many.

Last edited by tw; 02-24-2011 at 11:34 PM.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:52 PM   #177
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
..appreciate how religious people will condom and continue to ...
TW, one thing Catholics will not do is condom ...

Last edited by ZenGum; 02-24-2011 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Smilie face does not go well with mention of child rape.
ZenGum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:39 PM   #178
Uday
Poker Playing Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
I hope Egypt's military allows a true representative government, but if they do, then the Egyptians are going to have a huge job cut out for them. The theocrats will never stop trying to take over.
Sound like United States.
Uday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:57 PM   #179
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Sound like United States.
Amen.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:11 PM   #180
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
TW, one thing Catholics will not do is condom ...
If the church says sex is only for procreation, why did they forget to tell their priests?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote