The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 08-06-2007, 07:59 AM   #1
Griff
still says videotape

August 6th/9th, 1945

I couldn't let it pass without notice, after all two WMD were dropped on civilians.

We allowed war madness to grip us once again with protestations of righteousness, setting aside our moral training, in the name of what?
Attached Images

Old 08-06-2007, 10:36 AM   #2
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Victory.
Attached Images

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:41 AM   #3
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Victory:
Old 08-06-2007, 03:29 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Saved hundreds of thousands, maybe millions of lives in Operation Downfall.
Quote:
~snip~
President Truman approved the plans for the invasion July 24. Two days later, the United Nations issued the Potsdam Proclamation, which called upon Japan to surrender unconditionally or face total destruction. Three days later, the Japanese governmental news agency broadcast to the world that Japan would ignore the proclamation and would refuse to surrender. During this same period it was learned - via monitoring Japanese radio broadccasts - that Japan had closed all schools and mobilized its schoolchildren, was arming its civilian population and was fortifying caves and building underground defenses.

~snip~

During the sea battle at Okinawa alone, Japanese kamikaze aircraft sank 32 Allied ships and damaged more than 400 others. But during the summer of 1945, American top brass concluded that the Japanese had spent their air force since American bombers and fighters daily flew unmolested over Japan.

What the military leaders did not know was that by the end of July the Japanese had been saving all aircraft, fuel and pilots in reserve, and had been feverishly building new planes for the decisive battle for their homeland.

As part of Ketsu-Go, the name for the plan to defend Japan, the Japanese were building 20 suicide takeoff strips in southern Kyushu with underground hangers. They also had 35 camouflaged airfields and nine seaplane bases.

On the night before the expected invasion, 50 Japanese seaplane bombers, 100 former carrier aircraft and 50 land-based army planes were to be launched in a suicide attack on the fleet.

The Japanese had 58 more airfields on Korea, western Honshu and Shikoku, which also were to be used for massive suicide attacks.

Allied intelligence had established that the Japanese had no more that 2,500 aircraft of which they guessed that 300 would be deployed in suicide attacks.

In August 1945, however, unknown to Allied intelligence, the Japanese still had 5,651 army and 7,074 navy aircraft, for a total of 12,725 planes of all types. Every village had some type of aircraft manufacturing activity. Hidden in mines, railway tunnels, under viaducts and in basements of department stores, work was being done to construct new planes.

Additionally, the Japanese were building newer and more effective models of the Okka - a rocket-propelled bomb much like the German V-1, but flown by a suicide pilot.

When the invasion became imminent, Ketsu-Go called for a fourfold aerial plan of attack to destroy up to 800 Allied ships.

~snip~

But as horrible as the battle of Japan would be off the beaches, it would be on Japanese soil that the American forces would face the most rugged and fanatical defense encountered during the war.

Throughout the island-hopping Pacific campaign, Allied troops had always out numbered the Japanese 2 to 1 and sometimes 3 to 1.

In Japan it would be different. By virtue of a combination of cunning, guesswork, and brilliant military reasoning, a number of Japan’s top military leaders were able to deduce, not only when, but where, the United States would land its first invasion force.

Facing the 14 American divisions landing at Kyushu would be 14 Japanese divisions, 7 independent mixed brigades, 3 tank brigades and thousands of naval troops. On Kyushu the odds would be 3 to 2 in favor of the Japanese, with 790,000 enemy defenders against 550,000 Americans. This time the bulk of the Japanese defenders would not be the poorly trained and ill-equipped labor battalions that the Americans had faced in the earlier campaigns.

The Japanese defenders would be the hard-core of the home army. These troops were well-fed and well equipped. They were familiar with the terrain, had stockpiles of arms and ammunition, and had developed an effective system of transportation and supply almost invisible from the air. Many of these Japanese troops were the elite of the army, and they were swollen with a fanatical fighting spirit.

~snip~

In retrospect, the 1 million American men who where to be casualties of the invasion, were instead lucky enough to survive the war.

Intelligence studies and military estimates made 50 years ago, and not latter-day speculation, clearly indicate that the battle for Japan might well have resulted in the biggest bloodbath in the history of modern warfare.

Far worse would be what might have happened to Japan as a nation and as a culture. When the invasion came, it would have come after several months of fire bombing all of the remaining Japanese cities. The cost in human life that resulted from the two atomic blasts would be small in comparison to the total number of Japanese lives that would have been lost by this aerial devastation.

With American forces locked in combat in the south of Japan, little could have prevented the Soviet Union from marching into the northern half of the Japanese home islands. Japan today could be divided much like Korea and Germany.

The world was spared the cost of Operation Downfall, however, because Japan formally surrendered to the United Nations September 2, 1945, and World War II was over.
It was the right thing to do.

For Freshchronic's eyes only, everyone else please stop here.

'cause the little yellow bastards deserved it...
Bwahahahahahahahaha.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 08-06-2007 at 03:34 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 05:54 PM   #5
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

Hmm, it ended a major "conflict really quick" and in the long run "Saved hundreds of thousands, maybe millions of lives..."
yesman065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 06:09 PM   #6
deadbeater
Sir Post-A-Lot

Actually, some of the Japanese generals wanted an all-out attack against the US in response to the nukes. And I mean all out, involving every man, woman and child. Hirohito alone put a stop to the war.

There is no lead terrorist who alone can put a stop to terrorist attacks. But there are plenty of terrorist who are like those Japanese generals if a president thinks about bombing Mecca or the like.
deadbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 06:14 PM   #7
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

I agree - it is NOT a solution to the current situation and would only cause much more harm. The world environment has a totally different landscape than it did 60 plus years ago.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:28 PM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbeater View Post
Actually, some of the Japanese generals wanted an all-out attack against the US in response to the nukes. And I mean all out, involving every man, woman and child. Hirohito alone put a stop to the war.
An "all out" attack was not possible and an all out defense was already in place, according to my link.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:13 PM   #9
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Why didn't we let Patton have his war on the Russians? I used to know some of the story, but I forget.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:31 PM   #10
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

meanwhile.....50 years later........
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:26 AM   #11
freshnesschronic
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
For Freshchronic's eyes only, everyone else please stop here.

'cause the little yellow bastards deserved it...
Bwahahahahahahahaha.
nice!
Plus I myself am glad it happened. Japan was taking over all of Asia and my homeland country of the Philippines as well. Thankfully in due course my homeland acquired freedom.
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 06:57 AM   #12
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
meanwhile.....50 years later........
[Hi]And there are still millions Greatfully Deadicated[Jack]
Old 08-07-2007, 06:02 PM   #13
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshnesschronic View Post
nice!
Plus I myself am glad it happened. Japan was taking over all of Asia and my homeland country of the Philippines as well. Thankfully in due course my homeland acquired freedom.
I've worked with a bunch of the Filipinos, over the years, that came here via the US Navy.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:02 PM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

An interview with the crew of the Enola Gay.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:30 AM   #15
Griff
still says videotape