The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 04-19-2007, 10:48 AM   #181
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

From the BBC: Police probing the deadly shootings at Virginia Tech University have criticised the decision of US network NBC to show footage of the killer.

My thoughts on this:

1) "If it bleeds, it leads"...that's journalism in today's society. Did the police really expect NBC to sit on it?

2) I think the public should see at least some of Cho's video. It gives us a glimpse into who this guy really was.

At the same time, I think we've officially hit the saturation point with coverage of this. I'm going to quit reading and watching the news for the rest of the day, I think.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:54 AM   #182
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore View Post
From the BBC: Police probing the deadly shootings at Virginia Tech University have criticised the decision of US network NBC to show footage of the killer.

My thoughts on this:

1) "If it bleeds, it leads"...that's journalism in today's society. Did the police really expect NBC to sit on it?

2) I think the public should see at least some of Cho's video. It gives us a glimpse into who this guy really was.

At the same time, I think we've officially hit the saturation point with coverage of this. I'm going to quit reading and watching the news for the rest of the day, I think.
I agree, but it is time to stop giving this idiot, who dead anyway, more air time. It could be fanning the flames of someone with similar delusions and stimulate them into acting in a similar manner. They need to quit already, stop the pictures, stop the video, stop the voice overs. Stop. Let's focus on his victims.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:01 AM   #183
Cloud

Can you imagine being the NBC staffer who opened the package?
Old 04-19-2007, 11:03 AM   #184
elSicomoro

I think there would be more focus on the victims had Cho's package not came up. I recall hearing a lot more about the victims at Columbine and OKC at a similar point in coverage.

So is April the official month of crazy? Look how much bad shit has happened in April in this country.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:04 AM   #185
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
Can you imagine being the NBC staffer who opened the package?
Apparently, someone at the USPS notified NBC of the package...could you imagine being them?
Old 04-19-2007, 11:08 AM   #186
elSicomoro

I suspect this would be a bigger deal too, if not for VT.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:53 AM   #187
ferret88
(This space left intentionally UN-blank.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadistSecret View Post
You're both wrong. The moon is made from Provolone.
I thought it was Meunster
ferret88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:14 PM   #188
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore View Post
So is April the official month of crazy? Look how much bad shit has happened in April in this country.
Yes.

...and happy birthday to me. :p
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:42 PM   #189
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Merc is right on that they are giving Cho too much air time .

One, we should honor the victim instead of Cho.

Two, we are turning Cho into a fucking martyr. The media just told the entire United States that if you want to get a message out to the world, shoot up a school then kill yourself and people will read it.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:47 PM   #190
Cloud

yeah--one thing that disturbs me is they keep saying "the deadliest school shooting ever." That gives sickos incentive to beat the record.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:51 PM   #191
elSicomoro

Eh...maybe. I'm sure that there's some shithead out there thinking, "I can do 34!" But at the same time, Cho may have been a time bomb. The kids from Columbine may have given him some inspiration, but I suspect that his plan wasn't to go for any kind of record...just to hurt people.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:52 PM   #192
AgentApathy
I just look like I'm listening

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck_duck View Post
Not once did I form my opinion based on a movie and I don't care about mob violence, I'm talking about daily violence. Compared to where I'm from crime in america is rampant. You have armed gangs roaming the streets so how can you say it isn't out of control?
Imagine this: I'll be 36 next week, and I have *never* seen a gun used aside from the rifle that my friends and I used in the country to shoot cans off of a wall. I've lived in 4 cities so far, two of them metropolitan cities, and I've never seen a gun used or known anyone who has been shot, and I know a LOT of people.

To address those who think that NO ONE having a gun is a good idea, consider this: when guns are totally banned, the only ones who will have them will be exactly the people you want to defend yourself against. People with ill intent *will* find a way to get a gun if they really want one, so relieve yourself of the utopian notion that banning guns will mean that there will be no more guns. The black market is ingenious and capitalistic, and as long as there is easy money to be made, it will be made, laws be damned.
AgentApathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 03:15 PM   #193
freshnesschronic
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentApathy View Post
Imagine this: I'll be 36 next week, and I have *never* seen a gun used aside from the rifle that my friends and I used in the country to shoot cans off of a wall. I've lived in 4 cities so far, two of them metropolitan cities, and I've never seen a gun used or known anyone who has been shot, and I know a LOT of people.

To address those who think that NO ONE having a gun is a good idea, consider this: when guns are totally banned, the only ones who will have them will be exactly the people you want to defend yourself against. People with ill intent *will* find a way to get a gun if they really want one, so relieve yourself of the utopian notion that banning guns will mean that there will be no more guns. The black market is ingenious and capitalistic, and as long as there is easy money to be made, it will be made, laws be damned.
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 03:20 PM   #194
Cloud

Take a look at the Wikipedia list of school killings, it's interesting reading.

Did you know that in 1927, a disgruntled school board member planted a bomb in a Michigan schoolhouse, killing 45 people? That is the deadliest school massacre.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_massacres
Old 04-19-2007, 03:21 PM   #195
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentApathy View Post
Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Usually all the violence happens in one neighborhood so if you don't live in that neighborhood then you won't see anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichv.org
FACT:In 2004 (the most recent year for which data is available), there were 29,569 gun deaths in the U.S:

16,750 suicides (56% of all U.S gun deaths),
11,624 homicides (40% of all U.S gun deaths),
649 unintentional shootings, 311 from legal intervention and 235 from undetermined intent (4% of all U.S gun deaths combined).
-Numbers obtained from CDC National Center for Health Statistics mortality report online, 2007.
http://www.ichv.org/Statistics.htm

They do happen whether you see them or not.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote