The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Archives > Philadelphia

Philadelphia Home to many Cellar users: the city of neighborhoods

Old 05-22-2001, 03:49 PM   #1
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

It's official--the city has lost its mind over the Sixers...and we still have to win 8 more games.

I can appreciate it though...it's not overly cocky. Unlike dealing with the Redskins in DC...that's another story.

Did any of you see the front cover of yesterday's Daily News? I couldn't help but chuckle over it. For those of you who didn't see it (or don't live in Philadelphia), Allen Iverson and Aaron McKie of the Sixers are on the cover. Allen has his head on Aaron's shoulder, while Aaron is comforting him (giving him a hug). It looks like Aaron McKie is saying, "Come on Allen, let's go home and cuddle." It was just too funny.
Old 05-23-2001, 12:32 PM   #2
adamzion
Coronation Incarnate

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
It's official--the city has lost its mind over the Sixers...and we still have to win 8 more games.
Well, Philly's desperate for a championship. The last one was in '83, when the Sixers swept the Lakers (their likely Finals sparring partner if they make it past the Bucks).

I just hope that, if the Sixers do win it all, the city can celebrate without the riots which marked other cities' championship celebrations. Why celebrating a championship by the local gang of mercenary athletes requires wanton destruction is something I may never understand.

Nor do I particularly want to,
Z
Old 05-23-2001, 09:12 PM   #3
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by adamzion
I just hope that, if the Sixers do win it all, the city can celebrate without the riots which marked other cities' championship celebrations. Why celebrating a championship by the local gang of mercenary athletes requires wanton destruction is something I may never understand.
I would like to note that St. Louis had peaceful and joyous celebrations when the Rams won the Super Bowl last year. ;-)

Philadelphians are insane enough to beat each other up AT the games...and it's not like they could do much more damage east of Broad Street.