The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 06-09-2005, 12:08 AM   #16
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

He only murdered Canadians... I say let him go!
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 12:20 AM   #17
lookout123
changed his status to single

yeah, there heads already split in half anyway.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:45 AM   #18
cowhead
halve your cake and eat it too.

I love you xoxobruce.. *sigh* you often say what I wanted too... but I wasn't quick enough on the draw (as it were).. a little more of this no drinking business and I'll give you a run for your money (although you have the market cornered)
Old 06-09-2005, 09:50 AM   #19
Queen of the Ryche
is fleeing the scene

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123
yeah, there heads already split in half anyway.
"Blame Canada..............Blame Canada......."
Yes, Bruce, as always you are correct - the law was carried out correctly. I was merely trying to point out the extreme inaneness (is that a word? perhaps ineptitude is a better choice) of this whole Homeland Security thing, where you can cross the border trying to import a buttload of unusual weapons (if indeed it was blood on the chainsaw, I know - but couple it with the rest of his arsenal, and pretty fair conclusion that it too was a weapon or at least means of disposal), but if you go to the local Mosque, or check out an Iraqi website you're a suspected terrorist.
I so miss the days when kids could play in the streets without fear of being shot or abducted, when citizens genuienly cared about each other and their country, when freedom and peace and joy were unquestioned values and rights in the good old U S of A (for most people).
I wish Big Brother would go away and let me shoot my guns, smoke my cigarettes, discipline my kid, and go about my business.

I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.
Queen of the Ryche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 11:23 AM   #20
wolf
lobber of scimitars

You're right, we were separated at birth.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 11:24 AM   #21
mrnoodle
bent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of the Ryche
I so miss the days when kids could play in the streets without fear of being shot or abducted, when citizens genuienly cared about each other and their country, when freedom and peace and joy were unquestioned values and rights in the good old U S of A (for most people).
I wish Big Brother would go away and let me shoot my guns, smoke my cigarettes, discipline my kid, and go about my business.
That's the sad part. The next generation won't even miss going to the gate to welcome someone off the airplane, going to school without walking through a metal detector, watching TV with the family without seeing a decapitation or rape or something, or even going to summer camp without fear of being diddled by one of the counselors. They'll have never experienced it. That's really weird to think about.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:59 AM   #22
glatt

It's just as safe today to play out by the street or to go to summer camp as it was when we were kids. The difference now is that the news media will report emotional crimes nationwide now, where when we were kids, they wouldn't be reported at all, or only locally.

When I was a kid, a guy in my town baked his baby in the oven. Today, that would make national news, maybe even world news. Back then, it didn't even make statewide news.

The comments about increased airport security and graphic violence on TV are right on though.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 12:02 PM   #23
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I've looked at the UCRs. There is more bad shit happening today than there was 20, 30, and 40 years ago.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 06-09-2005, 12:05 PM   #24
jaguar
whig

I'm just wondering who picks up hitchhikers with bloodied shirts, bloodied chainsaws and a variety of weaponary.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:16 PM   #25
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
I've looked at the UCRs. There is more bad shit happening today than there was 20, 30, and 40 years ago.
Yeah, but are those reporting gang violence, or kids being abducted in their front yards?

I'll admit that violence surround the drug trade is on the rise over the last several decades, but if you don't deal drugs you don't have to worry about that.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:20 PM   #26
jaguar
whig

never lived in an area dominated by drug gangs have you?
Old 06-09-2005, 12:25 PM   #27
Queen of the Ryche
is fleeing the scene

I honestly believe our increased exposure to violence and ugliness breeds more violence and ugliness. I don't remember cartoons being nearly as violent when I was a kid (I know, the whole Wile E. Coyote anvil thing, but it was obvious humor). And I don't remember kids creating bombs or bringing guns to school when I was a kid either. Overexposure breeds empathy in my opinion.

I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.
Queen of the Ryche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 12:32 PM   #28
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar
never lived in an area dominated by drug gangs have you?
Nope. I feel sorry for those that do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of the Ryche
I honestly believe our increased exposure to violence and ugliness breeds more violence and ugliness. I don't remember cartoons being nearly as violent when I was a kid (I know, the whole Wile E. Coyote anvil thing, but it was obvious humor). And I don't remember kids creating bombs or bringing guns to school when I was a kid either. Overexposure breeds empathy in my opinion.
I agree 100%.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:34 PM   #29
mrnoodle
bent

Here's a story about the system actually working as intended. We'd get someone like this about once a month when I was at the gunshop. In fact, the system is so picky about who it lets through that we regularly had customers with clean records still come through as "denied" because their name was similar to someone who wasn't clean.

The funniest one that I witnessed was when our district attorney was denied.

anyhoo, the story
Old 06-09-2005, 01:58 PM   #30
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Damn. Denied AND an attempt at a straw purchase. Nice, however, to see the system work the way it's supposed to.

I do wish that the media wouldn't start that knee jerk guns 'r bad thing though ... making a point of discussing that an AR15 is just like an M16 for civilians without actually mentioning the very significant differences.