The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

View Poll Results: What are your thoughts about'Amnesty In America'?
It creates more questions than it answers. 4 25.00%
I understand and support amnesty for illegals. 0 0%
We should fix our broken borders first. 10 62.50%
Borders is a book store. That's all I know. 2 12.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-24-2007, 11:12 PM   #1
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Amnesty In America

I am confused about this bill that is going to pass the Senate.
I have alot of questions. Please comment on your vote. Thank you
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 11:22 PM   #2
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Too confusing. A point system is very stupid way to handle an issue like this. There is only one way to solve this problem and no one is even considering it.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 11:25 PM   #3
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

Well, the bill doesn't involve amnesty for one thing. There's a large fine proposed, along with a few other things. What are your questions?
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 11:37 PM   #4
skysidhe

can you both elaborate a little?

What is the point system?
What is the one way to solve this no one is considering?
Why dosn't the bill involve amnesty?
What are the other things besides the fine?

thanks for answers in advance...
Old 05-25-2007, 12:07 AM   #5
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

The point system is a way of telling who can get into the country and who can't. Like if you have a child or something you get a certain amount of points, if you can speak English you get a certain amount of points, etc. I don't know exactly how it works but point systems never work so this one won't either, especially when it comes to immigration.

How to solve our immigration problem.... I am probably going to take fire from this but I the immigration rush is a direct result of capitalism and imperialism. The US goes to countries installs a system which keeps the people in that country poor and the American companies and puppet regimes of that country keep the profit.

Now, the immigration debate is usually split into two parts. One side wants to kick them out and one side wants to let them in. Basically the pro and con from each side are that immigrants are taking our jobs, creating a population explosion, and robbing people of their tax money put kicking them out is unrealistic, unethical, and very expensive while the other sides is that they help us with economy by taking undesirable, low paying jobs, we are a nation of immigrant so it is hypocritical to kick them out, and they do pay taxes while they are overrunning our country etc.

To get to the point neither side is good and while finding a balance between the two will help, it won't solve anything. Those two solutions are just solving the result of the problem while doing nothing to solve the initial problem.

The initial problem is that they have very tough lives in Mexico and Central and South America and they want to live a better life in America. We only accept a very few amount of people in and many can't wait that long since the waiting lists is years long.

Instead of stopping immigration we should focus on what causes these people to immigrate to America and solve that. Allowing all the immigrants in America will only encourage more to come and banning them from coming will drastically hurt relations and bottle the problem up to a revolution status similar to Iran's Islamic Revolution.

Neither of these is desirable so of course the best solution is to solve the problem at its start. The way to solve this is to help Mexico and the rest of the Americas to get on their feet and support their economy instead of taking advantage of them. This will bring them up to us instead of us pushing them down to raise our level.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 12:27 AM   #6
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

This article helps explain the point system.

As for the punishments/conditions and how it is not amnesty, this will help.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 05:24 AM   #7
duck_duck
Soul Duck

Everything americans do is confusing so why is this different? Half of you think it is acceptable to be invaded and the other half does not.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:53 AM   #8
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck_duck View Post
Everything americans do is confusing so why is this different? Half of you think it is acceptable to be invaded and the other half does not.
That's the way we are on every issue.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:42 AM   #9
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck_duck View Post
That's a big part of our charm, duck. When do you go away again? I can't wait.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 08:45 AM   #10
skysidhe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
That's the way we are on every issue.
blame the religious right for that.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:50 AM   #11
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe View Post
blame the religious right for that.
Or, just blame the entire nation--that seems reasonable.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 01:10 PM   #12
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Amnesty will cost us more than deportation.

No amnesty, close the borders. Tight.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 01:43 PM   #13
monster
I hear them call the tide

MASHfreak, you talk of two sides, but you only seem to deal with one type of immigrant? What about the highly skilled immigrants? The people who are brought in because there is not available USC with the desired skills. They come here legally, but are also affected by laws made to deal with illegal immigration. You need these immigrants, if only to replace the skilled Americans who emmigrate out. Entire different ball game but same ball field.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:30 PM   #14
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
MASHfreak, you talk of two sides, but you only seem to deal with one type of immigrant? What about the highly skilled immigrants? The people who are brought in because there is not available USC with the desired skills. They come here legally, but are also affected by laws made to deal with illegal immigration. You need these immigrants, if only to replace the skilled Americans who emmigrate out. Entire different ball game but same ball field.
What I hear is that American business wants the opposite - unskilled laborers who will work for next to nothing, doing jobs that "Americans don't want to do" (translate: business doesn't want to pay Americans enough to do those jobs). I don't have a problem with these folks becoming US citizens, and play by the same rules that we do. They must make minimum wage, and pay taxes, and businesses must be penalized for paying "under the table".
Old 05-25-2007, 04:26 PM   #15
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
What about the highly skilled immigrants? The people who are brought in because there is not available USC with the desired skills. They come here legally, but are also affected by laws made to deal with illegal immigration.
Not so, this has no effect on people that are here legally, that I can see.