The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 06-29-2010, 06:23 PM   #1006
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
If you do some checking you will discover that illegal aliens are clearly subject to US jurisdiction while on our soil. They are punished for the crimes they commit here in the US exactly the way a US citizen would be. The only difference is that once an illegal has served his jail term, he gets deported.

Merc, I never said illegal aliens weren't breaking the law by being here undocumented. Of course they are.
Pardon my slip from civility....

I detest the PC term "undocumented" when in fact they are criminals by being here illegally.

Don't confuse that with my full understanding that they have and continue to make a significant contribution to our society. IMHO the issue is much bigger than the simple assessment of contributions members of our social strata make to the whole.

Again, I apologize for draging the threads of another issue to this discussion, since that is now taboo.
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:38 PM   #1007
SamIam

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Again, I apologize for draging the threads of another issue to this discussion, since that is now taboo.
(sigh) Whatever. Are there more new rules I should know about since I've been absent for a couple of weeks? I thought that the new Cellar censorship applied only to the politics forum.

What would Ms. Manners say?

BTW, it'll take me a bit to get back on deck. I had no idea of what you were referring to.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:43 PM   #1008
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

K
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:39 PM   #1009
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

Quote:
The 91-year-old widow lived by herself in a tumbledown house on a desolate country road. But she wasn't alone, not really, not as long as she could visit her husband and twin sister.
Pennsylvania cops discover an elderly woman living with mummified human remains.

No matter they were already dead. Jean Stevens simply had their embalmed corpses dug up and stored them at her house — in the case of her late husband, for more than a decade — tending to the remains as best she could until police were finally tipped off last month.

Yeah, this is just a little weird...

LINK
Old 07-06-2010, 02:13 PM   #1010
Griff
still says videotape

In defense of my neighbor, I'd put her weirdness on par with pumping bodies full of formaldehyde and planting them in large groups. People are funny about death, I'm just not sure societies approved coping mechanisms are any better than one persons odd decision.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:26 PM   #1011
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

How long did it take you to call the authorities Griff?
I mean really - how many times were you at her parties saying
"I'll just get Dad and I another drink?" Ya lush!
Old 07-06-2010, 03:07 PM   #1012
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

I don't think Griff would say "Dad and I" in that way.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:04 PM   #1013
Griff
still says videotape

A pic of Dad and I.
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2010, 08:53 PM   #1014
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

On this day in history:

July 6th, 1734, Norwegian missionary Hans Egede gave one of the oldest descriptions of the mystical creature known as a "Sea Serpent." Some modern scholars have come to the conclusion that what he (and subsequent mariners) saw was actually a whale penis, with a whole series of compelling photos showing the resemblance.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:29 PM   #1015
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That's plausible.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:59 PM   #1016
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Tired Gay succumbs to Dix in 200 meters

Quote:
Oregon (Reuters) - Olympic bronze medalist Walter Dix edged out Tyson Gay in the former world champion's hotly-anticipated return to the 200 meters at the Prefontaine Classic Diamond League meeting on Saturday.
Not especially weird, but definitely a puckish headline.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:13 AM   #1017
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

The picture there is even better. Seems copyrighted though so I'm not copying.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:13 PM   #1018
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

High Noon in Pahrump, Nev.: Sheriff Arrests the District Attorney
The D.A. Chooses Not to File Charges Against Himself, Investigates His Nemesis

Quote:
PAHRUMP, Nev.—Like a scene from a Western movie, the two top lawmen here are settling their scores in public.

In May, a Nye County sheriff's deputy arrested the district attorney. The sheriff, Tony De Meo, alleges that the D.A., Robert Beckett, was misusing public funds.

According to Mr. De Meo, public money had gone to supporting the local cheerleading squad, led by the D.A.'s wife, and to make a family friend's car payments. No charges have been filed, in part because Mr. Beckett, the D.A., refuses to charge himself.

Meanwhile, Mr. Beckett appointed a special prosecutor to investigate possible abuses of power by the sheriff's office and other public officials. Mr. Beckett claims that arresting him was part of an effort to sabotage his re-election. Mr. Beckett ended up running last among five candidates in the Republican primary.

The special prosecutor filed felony charges against the sheriff's deputy, David Boruchowitz, who had arrested the D.A.

Mr. Boruchowitz was also the sheriff's informal press liaison. And after he was summoned to lock himself in the corrugated metal county jail, he sent out a press release with his own mug shot announcing he had been arrested. A judge later rejected the charges, contending Mr. Beckett didn't have the power to appoint a special prosecutor. So Mr. Beckett refiled the charges himself.
more ...
Old 07-12-2010, 05:27 PM   #1019
Cloud

some people should be drowned as puppies:

Quote:
LAS CRUCES - It's not unusual for motorists to report a suspicious-looking hitchhiker to the police - unless the hitchhiker is naked and running into highway traffic with a prosthetic leg on fire.

The 47-year-old Mesilla Park man is recovering at a Texas burn center after being found on the U.S. 70 bridge over Del Rey Boulevard just before 7 p.m. Monday, with "significant" burns to his leg, buttocks, his plastic prosthesis "and what was left of his sock," according to Las Cruces Police Department reports.

In addition to "the burnt remains" of his clothing, an officer also found a 5-inch tube stuffed with wire mesh, which appeared to have been used as a smoking pipe.

The cause of the burns, the man told police, was losing a drinking game for having "only drank a six-pack," according to the police report.

As punishment, his three friends set his jeans and his prosthesis on fire and let the material - then his flesh - burn and blacken until he "could not stand the pain of wearing clothes" and stripped down to his shoes, the police report states.

When he couldn't stand the flames any more, he asked for a ride from his friend's home on Butterfield Boulevard to somewhere near a medical clinic, since his friends "didn't want to take him all the way to the hospital because they thought they were going to get arrested," the man told police. His friends got nervous when he complained of his pains, he said, and dropped him off on the highway.
the rest of it
Old 07-13-2010, 09:06 AM   #1020
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Why not just admit to the crack-pipe failure? Or was he required to lie because his pants were on fire?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote