The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 07-03-2015, 10:45 AM   #10756
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I am in charge of an event at our school called the Uniform Exchange. Donate uniform stuff your kids have outgrown, and come buy other families' stuff on the cheap. The first two years were solid little events, but this is the first year it's been super organized (thank you, yes I'm awesome, thank you,) and it has unexpectedly grown far larger than it has ever been before.

To wit: I have personally collected, sorted, folded, and stored over 2,500 uniform items in about 28 giant plastic storage bins. These were inside my house until I hit about 17 bins, at which point the school finally gave in to my begging and allowed me to take up some space in their storage unit.

I have rented 20 garment racks, each 6 feet long, which should just barely cover it (and also just barely fit inside our small gym.)

I learned that Old Navy just throws away their hangers, about 2-3 garbage bags' worth each day, at each store. I am in the process of gathering 2,500+ hangers from the three stores nearest me, and sorting them into shirts vs. pants. Currently at a little over 1,800, should only need one or two more collection rounds. The storage unit is overflowing, so I once again have boxes taking over my living room.

But honestly, I love it. This thing is going to be awesome.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:48 AM   #10757
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

Kool.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:38 PM   #10758
Griff
still says videotape

Pete used to do that for our kids school... maybe not as thoroughly.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:03 PM   #10759
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Old 07-03-2015, 10:05 PM   #10760
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
I am in charge of an event at our school called the Uniform Exchange. Donate uniform stuff your kids have outgrown, and come buy other families' stuff on the cheap. The first two years were solid little events, but this is the first year it's been super organized (thank you, yes I'm awesome, thank you,) and it has unexpectedly grown far larger than it has ever been before.

To wit: I have personally collected, sorted, folded, and stored over 2,500 uniform items in about 28 giant plastic storage bins. These were inside my house until I hit about 17 bins, at which point the school finally gave in to my begging and allowed me to take up some space in their storage unit.

I have rented 20 garment racks, each 6 feet long, which should just barely cover it (and also just barely fit inside our small gym.)

I learned that Old Navy just throws away their hangers, about 2-3 garbage bags' worth each day, at each store. I am in the process of gathering 2,500+ hangers from the three stores nearest me, and sorting them into shirts vs. pants. Currently at a little over 1,800, should only need one or two more collection rounds. The storage unit is overflowing, so I once again have boxes taking over my living room.

But honestly, I love it. This thing is going to be awesome.
All the donated used gear at our school's sports equipment free swap fit on a six foot folding table. You wouldn't be able to fill half a garment rack.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:38 PM   #10761
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
Way to go brother!
Old 07-04-2015, 10:39 AM   #10762
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Not today - but on Thursday when I went to the conference, the day's activities included a guided tour of the Waterloo exhibition at the Leeds Royal Armouries. It was very good. I always love the Armouries but getting a tour of the artwork by a guy who really knows his stuff was great fun. Very powerful stuff too.

I'd only ever seen Maclise's Waterloo cartoon in books - seeing it full scale was breathtaking. It was the preparatory drawing he did for what would become his mural painting, The Meeting of Wellington and Blücher. But the cartoon is much bigger than the mural - it's enormous - made up of panels set next to each other across a long wall - done in chalks (I think). I've never seen anything like it. The detail was staggering. I could have just stood there looking at it for hours.

There's a fairly decent pic of it here - but the scale really doesn't come across:

https://www.royalacademy.org.uk/exhi...clisewaterloo#

As well as the art, there were many fascinating artifacts. One of the most compelling and disturbing things to see was the breastplate of a young cavalry man (I think) with a hole ripped right through the front and back out the other side. They'd set it up on display with the cannon ball (the small canon shot type) at the position it would have been as it exited.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 11:12 AM   #10763
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

God damn, 9x13 metres, not what I pictured when you said cartoon. I figured it would be outlines of items in the general layout.
I suppose by working out all the detail in the "cartoon" at home, when he went to do the wall painting at parliament where undoubtedly there was pressure to get it done, he would have already made most of the decisions.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:20 AM   #10764
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Yeah - and he made some interesting changes for the finished painting too. On the right of the cartoon, there is a vivandierre with a cart of loot and goods and in the cartoon there's a dead soldier just behind her, leaning over the side of the cart - in the final painting that becomes a baby strapped to her back, and the baby is reaching into the cart to play with the loot.

There are some other changes too that are more political in nature - one guardsman is altered to a highlander, for example - so we get representatives of each part of the union in one of the set pieces.

But yeah - the scale is incredible and the level of detail mind-blowing.

Last edited by DanaC; 07-04-2015 at 11:26 AM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 01:35 PM   #10765
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 12:33 PM   #10766
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargon View Post
Make / Model / Year?
Since you asked ... first off, the Altima I bought in 2008 with help from the awesome Jim Helm had a catastrophic event and passed at the age of 10. She was a good car.

For the first time in about 25 years, I bought a NEW new car. A 2015 Honda Civic ES. This car is teh awesome. Handling and gas mileage, the electronics, cameras and gadgets ... sun/moonroof, bluetooth... OMG I love this car.
Attached Images

Old 07-05-2015, 02:05 PM   #10767
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Congrats, Classic.
One day I'd like to have car again... let alone a NEW car!
The budget doesn't allow, and as I discussed with Limey, I don't really need one where I live. But it would be wonderful to be secure in my sobriety and be able to get behind the wheel again one day (FTR I'm not banned or anything, I'm just aware that car + previous addiction + mental health issues is not a yummy cocktail).

I'm happy for many reasons today.
My Ma sent me a really positive email after I sent her some Arran photos.
A treasured friend said really positive things about my writing.
And I may (I really hope WILL) get to see a new Doctor. The invite to the ceremony making our amazing Dr DanaC official is flattering enough to make it a happy day.

On the negative side, my mobile is on the fritz and I can't find my landline handset.
But this is the Happy thread.

Be happy, y'all.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:11 PM   #10768
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

I am so happy where I am in my life right now I could just scream. It isn't that I don't expect down times to come. It isn't that I have absolutely everything going on. It's just that I feel very comfortable right here and right now, and that feeling isn't based on needing or wanting anything more, or expecting someone to fill any voids, and certainly not thinking my past pain is what defines me. Life is ok. Right now. I suspect I have something to do with it, even.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 07:31 PM   #10769
monster
I hear them call the tide

monkey happy, monster happy.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:57 PM   #10770
glatt

Awesome, IM!
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote