The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 10-02-2019, 08:57 AM   #16
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Looks like Hurricane Lorenzo will hit Ireland Thursday with winds expected to be 60 mph.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:03 PM   #17
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Wind speeds have to be faster than that (60 mph)to be a hurricane, don't they?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 05:46 PM   #18
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Wind speeds have to be faster than that (60 mph)to be a hurricane,
As I always do, I down play numbers so as to be conservative (not to be confused with wacko extremists). Another example was horsepower per liter. A car must do at least 70. This hurricane will approach as a Force 12 storm. That means 73 MPH plus.

Interesting is always the data buoy numbers for wave heights. Unfortunately, this storm is predicated to approach where no data buoys exist.

How bad is a hurricane? Once waves exceed 30 feet (ie 10 meters), then this is a serious storm.

Hurricane Sandy was barely a Category 1 - about 75 MPH. And it never stuck any land (where massive damage happened). I suspect Ireland is built by product people. So damage will be less. But this is the experiment. We will have facts after Thursday.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:09 AM   #19
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Dorian caused an 8 ft surge in less than an hour, killing 28 of the 49 horses on Cedar Island.

https://www.insider.com/wild-horses-..._medium=ingest
Old 10-04-2019, 08:40 AM   #20
tw

Lorenzo went slightly north. So one data buoy recorded waves in as high as 25 feet. Winds approached 100 km/hr. Landfall apparently only left 4000 in blackout. Commuters mostly unaffected. Irish Coast Guard center in Valentia reported a quite night. A few coastal towns with a few feet of water.

Apparently Ireland suffers little damage from a near category zero hurricane (called an exo tropical storm). A storm equivalent to the so called "Super Storm Sandy" (by the local gossip that hypes fears and emotions rather then news).
Old 10-11-2019, 07:32 PM   #21
tw

A subtroical storm formed just Southeast of NYC. And surprise. The Nantucket data buoy reports 25 foot waves from this storm. Cruise ships normally go the other way. But ships such as Disney Magic and Anthem of the Seas have no option but to confront the edges of this subtropical storm.

It is predicted to stay around for a day or two.
Old 10-14-2019, 05:30 PM   #22
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Not sure if there's any such taxonomic thing as a "subtropical storm."

NYC's latitude is around 40 degrees 40 minutes north. Something "formed just southeast of NYC" isn't exactly approaching subtropical latitudes by any measure.

Thoughtful revision seems called for.