The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 02-20-2006, 04:45 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Mr Boddy switches off the lights.......

Mr Boddy switches off the lights....... when the lights are restored, you're gone. But the door is still locked....how did you escape?
Creative home Engineering knows. You turn a candle stick, or press a book and a secret passageway opens....... just like in the movies.
How cool would that be, to have a secret shortcut or a hidden room? Not only could you hide valuables, you've got somewhere to throw all the crap when the Parson is ringing the bell.
It could be a safe room, made safer by being hidden completely. Or a place to set up the monitors for all the wireless TV cameras you've placed in your neighbors bedrooms and bathrooms.
It would also help to bolster your reputation as the neighborhood weirdo, should they find out you have hidden passages.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:52 PM   #2
Lucy
Colloquialist

I want one of each. I've always wanted a house with a secrt passageway or hell, even a back staircase would have done, in a pinch.
Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 11:19 PM   #3
lookout123
changed his status to single

a friend had a "secret passage" behind a bedroom mirror. it went to another room that had a sunken hot tub. that mirror was the only entrance and from the outside you never even noticed the extra room. kinda weird, kinda cool.
lookout123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 11:59 PM   #4
sandypossum
tri-continental dag hag

About 20 years ago I cleaned houses part time for an agency. I usually got instructions on what they wanted done before I went.

I went to one house, and was supposed to also clean the en suite bedroom, but - bugger me! - do you think I could find the master bedroom?! I searched for ages and was starting to think I must be turning blonde, when I noticed that part of the floor-to-ceiling bookshelf in the lounge room was not quite in line with the rest of it. I grabbed one of its shelves and pulled, and VOILA! the master bedroom! I thought it was pretty cool, and ever since then I have wanted at least one secret room in my own house (hopefully next year, when I finally build one).

Mind you, I think it's pretty blonde not to tell your cleaning lady about this sort of thing...
Old 02-21-2006, 11:52 AM   #5
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy
I want one of each. I've always wanted a house with a secrt passageway or hell...
Like that fridge in Ghostbusters?

"Zul!"

Quote:
Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor! Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

Wi nøt trei a høliday in Sweden this yër ?

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 12:13 PM   #6
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Those responsible for the sacking of those who were just sacked, have been sacked.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:47 PM   #7
seakdivers
Icy Queen

I want a secret room/ passageway too. We looked into doing something like that when we built our house last year, but we found out that insurance companies are beginning to frown on that sort of thing.

Figures. Stupid insurance companies!
seakdivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 02:05 PM   #8
glatt

Why don't insurance companies like them? Is it because fire fighters can't find the room to rescue someone? That's the only thing I can come up with. You'd think insurance companies would love the security a secret room provides.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 05:49 PM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

If it's a secret room, the Ins. Company wouldn't know about it.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:04 PM   #10
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

I would rather worship a refrigerator that suddenly appears out of the wall chock full of beer.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 07:13 PM   #11
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieL
Like that fridge in Ghostbusters?

"Zul!"
I am the gatekeeper.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:15 PM   #12
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by seakdivers
I want a secret room/ passageway too. We looked into doing something like that when we built our house last year, but we found out that insurance companies are beginning to frown on that sort of thing.

Figures. Stupid insurance companies!
The heating system would rapidly deteriorate the substructure.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:30 AM   #13
mrnoodle
bent

I used to daydream about having secret passages and such in my castle. Living in a 1970 vintage split level doesn't quite match up. I thought at least we'd be able to dig out a bunker of some kind, but it turns out the water table is too high.

sigh.

I'm holding out for that call from the kinfolk in Scotland telling me I've inherited Robert the Bruce's old digs. You never know.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:08 PM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The only thing left to do is build a tower.... with parapets.