The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 08-23-2007, 02:51 PM   #16
Weird Harold
Vice-President of Resentment

Yes I do make more than $1,000 a year with them.

To what LabRat said about you can take public transportation, etc. Yeah right!, but actually I think you just have to have the means to pay a claim, so if you are a millionaire, you don't legally need liability insurance. Not a possibility for most of us, and if the millionaire is smart, he won't risk loosing it all, since the premium is pocket change to him. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also forgot to mention that my van is on a separate commercial policy than my wife's car, and my clown car. My brother in law is also a carpet installer, with a commercial policy. When his son turned 16, and got his licence it didn't cost one dime more to put him on the policy, as long as he was driving a truck, van, or mini van. So I've got something to look forward to.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:53 PM   #17
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Harold View Post
Not a possibility for most of us, and if the millionaire is smart, he won't risk loosing it all, since the premium is pocket change to him. Correct me if I'm wrong.
There's a pretty good chance that millionaire is going to find a way to write it off, also.

Like this millionaire?
Old 08-23-2007, 05:52 PM   #18
rkzenrage

NJ's insurance issues stem from the government letting the people pass insanely stupid laws that ran any decent insurance company out of that state.
Unlimited liability payouts for ANY injury? The state and anyone who voted for it deserved what they got.

Auto insurance is just the many taking the hit for the few, nothing more. It is the closest thing to an altruistic business model as I can think of. Especially those that are owned by the policy holders who get dividends.
People bitch until they need it, then most want to try to cheat the system and make money off of their accident. Joke.

In most states you can self-bond and insure yourself for as little as K.
Once explained what this means, actually taking the RISK yourself, suddenly the auto insurance industry does not sound so corrupt to those idiots.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:09 PM   #19
minnmirman
noob

yeah i insure through progressive, and after my first 6 month period my premium went from 110/month to 140/month for no apparent reason. When I asked why my insurance went from 110/month to 140/month for no apparent reason, they said that this is common for new customers. When I said that I had not asked whether or not it was common for the premium to go up for newer customers, they would not give me any further explanation. .......
minnmirman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:13 PM   #20
rkzenrage

They lied to you, there was a reason. They probably ran the MVR and CLUR later, which they should have done when they wrote the policy, or you came in just before a rate change and the person you talked to was just too chicken-shit to tell it to you straight.
The company I was with, at leas all the sups. I was with were very good about telling us to tell everyone the truth.
Rate increases happen and, usually for good reasons, if explained properly people usually are ok with them.

There are so many reasons for rate increases it is not even funny, however being with a company for a period of time is NOT one of them... usually if you are with a company for a while your rate goes DOWN.
Don't get me started on Progressive. That lie they tout about giving rates for other companies pisses me off, it is impossible to do.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:04 PM   #21
minnmirman
noob

Those bastards! When I was young(arguably still am...are?) they took advantage of my vulnerability and youth! ill show them!!
minnmirman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:28 PM   #22
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

Progressives market niche is those who are termed "high risk" to a standard insurer. Anyone who is not in that class WILL PAY MORE to be insured through them. Use them to get 6 to 12 months of continual coverage then switch to another carrier. You will virtually always pay less.
yesman065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 07:48 AM   #23
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

I've used The Lizard for about twelve years now and have had no problems. No claims either. I guess the true test of a policy and company is when you have a claim.

ANY insurance company will TAKE your money but some are not so good at giving it back.

Never get me started on Homeowners' Insurance.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:39 AM   #24
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

What if I ask real nice and say please?
Old 09-01-2007, 01:26 AM   #25
queequeger
Hypercharismatic Telepathical Knight

How does one embed a video? I tried just pasting the youtube activeX code and it didn't work.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 09-02-2007 at 04:27 AM.
queequeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 02:50 AM   #26
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesman065 View Post
Progressives market niche is those who are termed "high risk" to a standard insurer. Anyone who is not in that class WILL PAY MORE to be insured through them. Use them to get 6 to 12 months of continual coverage then switch to another carrier. You will virtually always pay less.
Depends on the state, they do underwrite standard in some states.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:05 PM   #27
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

They are listed as a "standard carrier", but they are typically more expensive than the majority of carriers. Primarily because they cater to those with less than stellar records or less driving experience - those people other carriers won't insure.