The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 03-20-2009, 09:50 PM   #166
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Clinton was found guilty of lying under oath and lost his law license. That trumps a bunch of aides.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:59 PM   #167
Redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Clinton was found guilty of lying under oath and lost his law license. That trumps a bunch of aides.
Yep...that's a fact..Clinton was guilty of lying under oath and Bush has never been charged.

So thats the basis of your argument despite the fact that there was more unlawful politicization of the Bush Justice Department and corruption in performance of official duties across the executive branch than the Clinton administration?

OK..then the case should be closed for you and I'll look forward to hearing more from UG.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:21 AM   #168
TGRR
Horrible Bastard

Quote:

No, Clinton was found guilty of contempt of court.

Google it and see.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:14 PM   #169
Redux

I just read one of UG's links about Reno.
Quote:
...Thompson also quotes John Gigliotti (from Pat Robertson's security detail) who says Michael Eppinger, an alleged organized crime figure in Miami supposedly has a video of Reno at a sex orgy...
http://www.laborers.org/NorCal_Reno.html
So person A quotes person B who alleges that person C is an organized crime figure who supposedly has a video of Reno at a sexy orgy....among other allegations.

Now thats really getting at the truth!

The only crime here might fall under the category of torture to force someone to watch that video of Reno at a sexy orgy.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:39 AM   #170
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux View Post
I just read one of UG's links about Reno.

So person A quotes person B who alleges that person C is an organized crime figure who supposedly has a video of Reno at a sexy orgy....among other allegations.

Now thats really getting at the truth!

The only crime here might fall under the category of torture to force someone to watch that video of Reno at a sexy orgy.
Yea, sounds sort of like someone who claims to be tortured by a government agency who is the same person that was in jail and pissed off they were caught. Not much weight can be given to it.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:35 AM   #171
Redux

Quote:
Yea, sounds sort of like someone who claims to be tortured by a government agency who is the same person that was in jail and pissed off they were caught. Not much weight can be given to it.
Which is why I asked UG to cite sources comparable to the internal DoJ memos that I posted and which found violations of administrative law and/or policies by high level officials in the Bush DoJ...rather than posting second and third hand innuendos and supposed allegations from highly questionable or certainly not objective "sources".
Old 03-30-2009, 11:38 PM   #172
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Top Democratic Consultant Named as 'Adviser B' on Blagojevich tapes

Quote:
CHICAGO -- A partner in a prominent, Washington-based political consulting firm is among those secretly recorded discussing ways Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich can cash in on President Barack Obama's old Senate seat.

Frederick S. Yang, a top executive at Peter D. Hart Research Group Associates, is identified by prosecutors in the Blagojevich criminal complaint as "Adviser B," Michael D. Ettinger, a lawyer representing the governor's brother, said Thursday. Robert Blagojevich, who has not been charged with a crime, runs his brother's campaign fund.

The Hart firm has represented dozens of Democratic governors and members of Congress. The revelation that a key executive at the company was captured on FBI wiretaps working with the governor could embroil one of the nation's most respected and influential polling and consulting groups in the Blagojevich scandal.
The plot thickens...
Old 05-28-2009, 08:22 PM   #173
classicman

Quote:
Mr. Burris, who says he has made no decision yet on whether he will seek his party's nomination in the Democratic primary next March, denied Wednesday that he had done anything wrong, telling reporters, "Did I try to buy the seat? Never. Did I commit perjury? No."

In the Nov. 13 telephone conversation with Mr. Blagojevich's brother Robert, who headed the governor's campaign fund, the transcript shows Mr. Burris offering to give the governor's campaign committee a check, but acknowledges that doing anything more for the governor might appear as though he was "trying to buy an appointment" to fill the Senate seat being vacated by then-President-elect Obama.

"I mean, so Rob, I'm in a dilemma right now, wanting to help the governor," Mr. Burris says in the transcript of a call that was taped by the FBI. "I know I could give him a check. Myself ... I will personally do something, okay."

"God knows, No. 1, I wanna help Rod. No. 2, I also wanna, you know, hope I get a consideration to get that appointment," he says.

The wiretap transcript was released Tuesday after U.S. District Judge James F. Holderman ordered that it be sent to the Senate ethics committee, which is conducting an investigation into Mr. Burris' appointment. An official on the panel, now in the early stages of its preliminary inquiry, said its rules forbid discussing the document.

Mr. Burris' poll numbers are in the basement, with a Rasmussen poll showing his unfavorable rating at 73 percent.

He has made little or no effort to raise funds for a campaign, bringing in only $845 in the first quarter, and Democratic campaign officials already have begun quietly talking to other candidates.
What are they waiting for? This guy is guilty, stupid and inneffective... can we get someone honest in there and move on please?
Old 05-28-2009, 08:33 PM   #174
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
can we get someone honest in there and move on please?
Good luck on that. So far they are 0 for 2.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:42 PM   #175
classicman

Seriously - this is an utter disgrace for not only Illinois, but the entire nation.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:56 PM   #176
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Seriously - this is an utter disgrace for not only Illinois, but the entire nation.
Well I for one am not the least bit surprised. I believe this is business as usual for many aspects of state government, some more than others. A real eye opener for me was when I read Charlie Wilson's War. I was quite surprised by the level of back door deals done in Washington between the elected officials that were done only for the purpose of payback and greased palms, where it was in the form of tit for tat votes or actual cash.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:19 PM   #177
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

And then we have whole books on the topic.

Absolute Power

Now before you say, "Can't be accurate or unbiased, it's got David Limbaugh's name on the cover!" I'll just say, oh, is that so? Were the Clintons not at some pains to cover up their misdeeds? They were. Did those pains actually work for very long? No. Did people uncover the shenanigans? Yes they did. Is a book collecting the findings therefore wrong? You may believe so, but my mind is much more open and critical.

Note, too, the other books often ordered with it on Amazon. Redux is still arguing that where there is smoke there can't be fire. Absurd. This is why I'm neither a leftist nor a Democratic Party guy: too much self-respect.

Did Janet Reno ever have -- let alone pass -- a background check for her AG job, I wonder? There are, I gather, reasons to wonder. And she was not the only one who didn't.

I've passed a couple of background checks myself, both in a Federal capacity, one military, one civilian, both for Top Secret.

Digging into old issues of American Spectator should produce the Sept. 9, 1999 article Janet Reno: Corrupt or Doltish?, L. Brent Bozell. It's no longer online at the magazine's site, but it's available to the historically minded. It is often significant to look at the opposition to find where the establishment character's got her flaws.

Another Law Janet Reno Doesn't Like -- from a law school faculty member. One page, three separate cases of obstructing prosecution. Yep, there's a nasty pattern.

These were not the glory years of the DoJ, or for that Administration.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:58 PM   #178
classicman

Update

So this guy had the gall to subpoena the administration ... Wow.

The Six Secrets You Need to Know From the Obama Subpoena Request
Quote:
1. Obama may have lied about conversations with convicted fraudster Tony Rezko

2. Obama may have overtly recommended Valerie Jarret for his Senate seat

3. A supporter of President Obama may have offered quid pro quo on a Jarrett senate appointment

4. Obama maintained a list of good Senate candidates

5. Rahm Emanuel allegedly floated Cheryl Jackson's name for the Senate seat

6. Obama had a secret phone call with Blagojevich
1 - Could be something if you believe them.
2 - Who cares
3 - See #1
4 - Good. I would hope so.
5 - See #2
6 - One? I bet there were more than that...see #2
good job NBC. Some of the comments are surprising too. A friend of mine in Chicago sent me the link.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:34 AM   #179
TheMercenary

As metro-sexual as this guy looks I am surprised that he had the balls to try to get Obama to testify. Sounds like grandstanding to get attention. I don't think they could make him testify unless there was direct proof he was involved, as long as he is the current president.
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote