The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 03-17-2011, 12:17 AM   #1
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

Bad News

I've had nothing but bad news this week from the doctors. I feel like the VA is playing Russian roulette with my PTSD meds. Today they put me on 1 mgm of Xanax (as needed for anxiety) and 10 mgm of Valuim (bedtime because Ambien was causing problems with dreams). How do they expect people to be able function? I sure can't take this and work.

Next I get the results of a scrotal ultrasound and examination by a urologist. What was initially being treated as epididymatis turns out to be cysts that are linked to prostatitis. The urologist thinks the underlying cause might be linked to my Lupus.

For the final blow, my MRI shows I have a 5mm tumor on my pituitary gland. My primary care doctor is referring me to endocrinology. They think I might have Cushings syndromone. WTF!!!

I'm pissed. I'm scared. I'm falling apart
Old 03-17-2011, 12:24 AM   #2
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

Stay strong big guy. Be as big of an ass you need to be, but don't let anyone leave your sight until they explain things to the point that you can understand. I hate seeing patients who are just tossed to the wind in the healthcare system. Confused, angry, fearful; none of which needs to be the case. You are your own best advocate for your care, so don't take no for an answer.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:51 AM   #3
SamIam

Is there any way you can get some second opinions? I am so skeptical of the VA because of the inadequate treatment they gave my Dad when he was still alive.

Have you recently been on corticosteroids? This is what causes Cushings syndrome. Discontinuation of the drug should alleviate the symptoms.

I have PTSD and my clinic has prescribed me an anti-depressant (paxil) and seroquel (a sort of anti-psychotic). I take the seroquel at bedtime and it allows me to sleep. Anti-anxiety agents are only the third line of defense against PTSD. Some researchers feel that they ultimately make PTSD worse! I take clonezapam if I feel I have an anxiety attack coming on.

You need to be your own advocate - especially with the VA. Research your diagnosis and find out what the most accepted treatments are. Make a list of all your questions and concerns and demand that your doctor address these issues for you, no matter how busy he may think he is.

Being pro-active will help your outlook a lot.

Hope your health issues are resolved soon and not as bad as they seem to you tonight.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:56 AM   #4
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sarge View Post
..a scrotal ultrasound and examination by a urologist...
That sounds, uh, fun?

Try not get ahead of yourself, docs are always scaring the shit outta people. I think they get off on it.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:29 AM   #5
Griff
still says videotape

Bullitt is right on the money make sure you get complete explanations. You can use the internet to your advantage here as well. I'm sorry you're going through this. Is there an advocacy organization for dealing with the VA?
Old 03-17-2011, 07:22 AM   #6
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Sheesh Sarge.

Take care of yourself.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:59 AM   #7
monster
I hear them call the tide

Oh Sarge, I'm sorry. I echo what Bullitt said, keep on at them until you get the answers you need, don't let them play God even if it means you have to get pissy with them.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:25 AM   #8
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

All I know is when I tried Xanax "as needed" I took one quarter the dosage you have there, and in about an hour I was asleep in the middle of the day. It affects everyone differently but 0.25mg is the starter dose for adults, so if they knock you out, try cutting the pill in half and see if it controls your anxiety effects. Shoot for the smallest dose that controls the symptoms. The Xanax will take a half hour to kick in, so don't be impatient with your anxiety in the mean time.

Also Xanax and Valium are in the same general family of drugs, so I don't understand why they gave you both. I wouldn't take them at the same time.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:34 AM   #9
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

keep your chin up Sarge.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:02 PM   #10
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

Thinking good, healthy thoughts for you.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:11 PM   #11
Cloud

Ugh, sorry. Hope you have a trusted family member or friend who can help you as an advocate.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:33 PM   #12
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
knowledge is power sarge, www.medlineplus.gov
Eat that elephant one bite at a time.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:04 PM   #13
Nirvana
Back in 10

We are here for you big guy!
Old 03-17-2011, 01:58 PM   #14
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
Eat that elephant one bite at a time.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 03:31 PM   #15
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

take heart Big Sarge~! One thing/day/test/doctor at a time, my friend. Keep us posted and we are here for you! :hugs:

Loads of support here!!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote