The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 12-15-2006, 12:24 PM   #1
chrisinhouston
Professor

Taking my dad to the urologist

Funny thing about this caretaker role. Today was my dad's appt. with his urologist. Dad is 90 and has minor prostate cancer. he gets and exam every 4 months and usually has to have a shot that decreases his testosterone to keep any cancerous cells from developing, only side effect is hot flashes.

Anyway as he is blind I take him to his appointments and this was no different except that I had to take him in the little room and hold the cup for him to pea in as he is blind. I had to help him pull his underware up and his pants as it was not his usual bathroom. I wondered who will take me to the doctor when I am old.

We take our eyesight so much for granted. I often think how well he has adapted to being blind but also how dependent he is on others for things like getting out and to appointments or to church or the pool (he tries to swim 1/2 mile every week or so). But blindness really limits your independence.

Sorry, ramdom thoughts here. Getting old can really suck!
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 12:31 PM   #2
rkzenrage

Getting sick in gen can really suck. A lot of the stuff my family has had to help me with has been rough to try to get used to.
Great of you to help him, many won't.
*Gassho*
Old 12-15-2006, 12:51 PM   #3
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Your 90 year old blind father swims 1/2 mile per week?

I'm totally in awe. That is absolutely great.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:12 PM   #4
chrisinhouston
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
Your 90 year old blind father swims 1/2 mile per week?

Yea, he played tennis (mostly doubles) until he was 88 and went blind, he loved it when he and his 85 year old partner could beat some guys in their 60's or 70's!

He has no cartilidge left in his knee joints form years of excercise and swimming is easy on the joints. I, or my sister swim with him, we do the back stroke in front of him and call out for him to head right or left, he does the breast stroke.
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote