The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 08-02-2019, 12:52 AM   #181
TinkerC
Old member back in a new form

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
I remember you, sandy I saw one of your old posts just a few weeks back and wondered about you
That's sweet, Monster. I remember most of the people who have responded here and in the other two posts. It's nice to see familiar faces, as it were
TinkerC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:43 PM   #182
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Russell Brand gives Tolle a shout-out today on the YouTubes. "My favourite Eckhart Tolle quotes"

I'll list his favorite quotes, because they are interesting to consider; in the video, Mr Brand also gives his own thoughts on each one, and that part is lovely.

"Sometimes letting go of things is an act of far greater power than defending or hanging on."

"If you get the inside right, the outside will fall into place."

"The primary cause for unhappiness is never the situation, but your thoughts about it"

"Anything you resent and strongly react to in another is also in you."

"Living up to an image that you have of yourself, or that other people have of you, is inauthentic living."

"What a liberation, to realize that the voice in my head is not who I am. Who am I then? The one who sees that."

"If you're not living in this moment, you're not really living."

"Power over others is weakness disguised as strength."

"People don't realize that now is all there ever is. There is no past or future except as memory or anticipation in your mind."

"Discontent, blaming, complaining, self-pity, cannot serve as a foundation for a good future, no matter how much effort you make."
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:02 PM   #183
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

He seems smarter than my first impression of him. Did he used to be a goofy comedian?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:44 PM   #184
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

He was a comedian and comic actor (the rock star in "Forgetting Sarah Marshall"); he had addiction issues, but worse, he was married to Katy Perry. He left her, left his addictions, turned to spirituality. Now he's no longer spending much energy being a celebrity, and has pretty much become a spiritual thinker/YouTuber.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:01 PM   #185
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Nice. I'll have to pay more attention. His voice says mockery to me, but I suppose that's from his prior identity.

Neat to see change fur the better. Although, Katy perry is probably a lot of fun to fight with. Not to mention the wrestling.
Old 08-14-2019, 01:55 AM   #186
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Ah. There's a Joe Rogan with him this April. 3 hours. Should be a large enough sample size to suss him. I think Rogan might be on a level with Howard stern with his interview acumen.

I've never seen Maynard Keenan so relaxed and normal as I did on that last one with the wolf hunting Eagles.

Only a few minutes into this, and it's already really honest and going both directions.

Huh. They refer to philosophize this podcast. That's the one Spencer follows.

I'm a subscribe to Rogan'a channel, I am.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:49 AM   #187
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

An hour into that, and boy Russell talks fast. I can tell he's watched a lot of the same stuff I've been watching.
Old 08-17-2019, 02:01 PM   #188
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

He does a great job of explaining these things. Today he discusses the quote/idea that "Feelings are just visitors... let them come and go."

Quote:
(on emotions)
I suppose much of this is our way of adapting to living in, kind of, peculiarly comfortable prisons all day. All of these impulses were designed for different environments -- designed to protect us when we lived very, very different lives; and motivate us, control us. They would, like, kind of "jet fuel" jealousy, to protect; envy, to strive.

But now look at us. Where do we live? In this peculiar zoo, when we're not even really able to correctly analyze what's happening to us...

...the story of who we are so expertly controlled it's very difficult to witness the outer world. The first system that you have to learn to overthrow is the system inside your own head. The system that's been implanted . The system that we see as "the self".
Five minutes:

Tags
how now brown cow