The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 04-03-2007, 08:16 PM   #1
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Gardasil

For parents with female kids this is something you should consider getting for your girls.

http://www.gardasil.com/

http://www.cdc.gov/nip/recs/provisional_recs/hpv.pdf

http://www.cdc.gov/std/hpv/
Old 04-03-2007, 09:30 PM   #2
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

In Australia there is a national program for immunisation of all girls between 12 and 18 in schools. The injection is also free for any woman under 26 if she goes to her GP.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:51 AM   #3
ravenranter
Mystical Miscreant

Gardasil

What I've read so far about Gardasil makes me reconsider:

http://www.909shot.com/PressReleases...06gardasil.htm

http://evilslutopia.blogspot.com/2007/01/gardasil.html

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20070326/houppert

http://www.vaclib.org/news/2006/gardasil.htm
Old 04-04-2007, 06:01 AM   #4
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Did you know that domestic violence kills more 19-44 year old women than any other cause, including cancer, traffic accidents and war?

I'm not suggesting that as a reason not to use Gardasil, but I only learned that statistic this week and it blew me away.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:46 AM   #5
Pie
Gone and done

SG, that's just because 19-44 y.o. woman are very unlikely to die, from any cause.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:47 AM   #6
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

can't possibly be true
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 08:57 AM   #7
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

The fact that so many women in the prime of their life are killed by their partners is shocking in its own right.

From the UK Home Office website (although it is a global figure as stated):
Quote:
Facts & figures
Although domestic violence is chronically under reported, research estimates that it:

- accounts for 16% of all violent crime (Source: Crime in England and Wales 04/05 report)
- has more repeat victims than any other crime (on average there will have been 35 assaults before a victim calls the police)
- costs in excess of £23bn a year
- claims the lives of two women each week and 30 men per year
- is the largest cause of morbidity worldwide in women aged 19-44, greater than war, cancer or motor vehicle accidents
- will affect 1 in 4 women and 1 in 6 men in their lifetime
Old 04-04-2007, 01:13 PM   #8
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
Did you know that domestic violence kills more 19-44 year old women than any other cause, including cancer, traffic accidents and war?

I'm not suggesting that as a reason not to use Gardasil, but I only learned that statistic this week and it blew me away.
Yea, I sort of knew that. If there was a vaccine against domestic violence I bet people would take it.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:23 PM   #9
TheMercenary

Well, I guess it is a personal decision. I think that I will fall on the side of protecting my kids from genital warts and the few virus's that cause the majority of cervical cancers and give her the best shot. For those that choose not to get it, good luck. There has always been a fight by a few groups who are anti-vaccine. Vaclib.org is a perfect example. Many parents have chosen not to have their kids get any vaccines, which is fine as long as you home school and possibly plan to protect them from exposure to large groups of people so they don't catch anything. Even for college you are required to have had a series of vaccines. I think and the GYN physicians I have spoken to all reccomend that people get it if they can. After you see a few 20 year olds with grade 3 carcinoma of the cervix you may change your mind. Good luck.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:49 PM   #10
glatt

Good. I encourage lots of parents to give the vaccine to their kids. The more guinea pigs the better. That way, when my daughter is old enough to get the vaccine, we'll have a better idea how safe and effective it is.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 04:31 PM   #11
ravenranter
Mystical Miscreant

For the sake of clarifying, since I am new to the Cellar and people don't know me yet, I am not anti-vaccine. I don't advocate people refusing all vaccines. I was saying that I am not satisfied, to date, with the research done on it and that I'm in no immediate rush to use or advocate anyone else rushing out to do so. I'm not the type to just do something because the FDA says it may be a good idea. According to them it was safe to use Vioxx too...not to mention that the vaccination is only covering 4 out of some 100 types of HPV. I also wonder if those viruses are able to mutate like other viruses. If that might be the case, a vaccine would not be a solution and might cause it to mutate faster.

Last edited by ravenranter; 04-04-2007 at 04:39 PM.
ravenranter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 07:14 PM   #12
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Many parents have chosen not to have their kids get any vaccines, which is fine as long as you home school and possibly plan to protect them from exposure to large groups of people so they don't catch anything. Even for college you are required to have had a series of vaccines.
This is bullshit - do some research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenranter
not to mention that the vaccination is only covering 4 out of some 100 types of HPV. I also wonder if those viruses are able to mutate like other viruses.
And most of the time, even these 4 strains are taken care of by a healthy immune system. It would make more sense to figure out what is wrong with the immune systems that can't deal with them, than to vaccinate everyone ie. look for a cure instead of managing symptoms. Vaccines are not harmless.

I suspect Igf-1, found in cow's milk, has alot to do with it.... but I really don't know shit.

And as far as mutation, that doesn't even need to happen. When you wipe out one strain of bacteria or virus, you just create an opportunity for another that it's been suppressing.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:31 PM   #13
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx View Post
This is bullshit - do some research.
And most of the time, even these 4 strains are taken care of by a healthy immune system. It would make more sense to figure out what is wrong with the immune systems that can't deal with them, than to vaccinate everyone ie. look for a cure instead of managing symptoms. Vaccines are not harmless.
No, that is bull shit. Most women who have been sexually active will eventually have HPV. How about you explain to me how you come to the conclusion that the immune system takes care of HPV? Often the virus is dormant for years before cells begin to change conformation. You do the research, and I ain't talking about some on-line research where you get all excited because you find anti-vaccine sites that support you ideas. Go to school. Those 4 strains cause over 60% of the cervical cancers. I see that as a potential reduction of 60% of you getting the disease. Hey if you fall into the 40% category, that is 100% for you. Statistically speaking vaccines are in fact fairly harmless or we wouldn't get them, but hey if you want to get polio or pertussis give me a shout I can tell you where to go to get it.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:40 PM   #14
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Most women who have been sexually active will eventually have HPV. How about you explain to me how you come to the conclusion that the immune system takes care of HPV?
Because most women don't get cancer or genital warts. In most women, the HPV just goes away.

The bullshit I was calling you on was quoted. Are you going to defend that?

edit:
Fuck, I'm not fixing this, sorry.
- Jinx

Last edited by lumberjim; 04-04-2007 at 07:41 PM. Reason: pc swapping
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 07:59 PM   #15
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
Because most women don't get cancer or genital warts. In most women, the HPV just goes away.

The bullshit I was calling you on was quoted. Are you going to defend that?

edit:
Fuck, I'm not fixing this, sorry.
- Jinx
So jinx and lumberjim are the same people, what the fuck is that about.??????

be more specific,
Quote:
1. Many parents have chosen not to have their kids get any vaccines.
2. Even for college you are required to have had a series of vaccines.
What do you think is bullshit? all of it?

1. Despite this, there is evidence in Western Europe, the US, Japan, Australia, and other countries of a growing anti-vaccine movement. This movement has resulted in major disruptions and even cessation of vaccine programs, with resultant increased morbidity and mortality. Of interest is an examination of the factors that seem to contribute to the current trend of anti-vaccine sentiment. In this paper we will examine the current anti-vaccine movement and provide case studies involving pertussis and hepatitis B vaccines. We will then discuss the implications for public health vaccine policy. Finally, we will propose a framework for understanding how individuals make decisions about receipt of vaccines.
http://members.tripod.com/vaccinesup...nderstand.html

Here are some more facts:
Got to love Quack Files, the guy does a good job.
http://www.geocities.com/healthbase/vaxquotes.html

There is a ton of stuff to read out there.

2. page 26 and 27 requirements for college vaccines:
http://www.immunize.org/laws/izlaws01-02.pdf
Given many large universities, at least the one my kid goes to, requires all freshmen to live on campus the first year. Hence they are subject to the vaccine requirements.