The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 04-20-2006, 01:20 PM   #16
Flint
Snowflake

I hope this is relevant to your topic, Brianna, but this is what it made me think of: I am plagued by an agonizing level of constant self-doubt, but it drives me to always improve, because I never feel good enough, to me. I don't know if other people percieve this - I don't try to hide it, but I'm not prone to vocal complaints either.

For example, in my work as a drummer people seem to regard me as some kind of cracker-jack, but, to me, one bad gig (that I percieved as bad) and I am almost ready to just give up and admit that I am clumsy and uncoordinated and I will never ever be even a decent drummer. Then, as it turns out, the gig was recieved as great, or the problem with the gig was percieved as having to do with the soundman or something beyond my control. I shouldn't be so swayed by the opinions of others, but in these sore ares, I have to admit that I am.

My way of dealing with my self-doubt is that I use it as a tool to drive me to get better, hence I am a perfectionist, hence people percive me as doing a good job, while I don't necesarily agree. What I may be able to achieve and what I am afraid I won't be able to achieve are so closely tied together, and I am very open about this, with myself, and have no problem admitting it.

I would almost venture to say that your level of self-doubt is an indicator of your ability to achieve. I hope this is meaningful, or has something to do with what you were thinking about.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 02:24 PM   #17
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint
your level of self-doubt is an indicator of your ability to achieve.
Very well said.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:10 PM   #18
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beestie
There is no need to concern yourself with mattering. And its also ok not to have every freaking minute of your life mapped out fifteen years in advance. Believe me, there is a lot to be said for not locking yourself down inside a flow chart. Live your life however you want to - the only person you have to explain yourself to is you.

We all have moments -or even periods- where it feels like we missed the train. It'll pass. Don't fight it - accept it and let it run its course. Later, when your strength returns, use it as motivation. There is absolutely nothing wrong with you that a shot of tequila won't fix.

Seriously, though - we've all pulled over at some point and had a look into the abyss hoping somebody or something would tell us where the hell we were or which way we were supposed to go while we scratching our head's looking at everyone else pass by who seem never to have had a doubt in their entire lives. Bullshit. Everyone has an appointment with the abyss sooner or later.

Better to stare into an abyss than out of one. You're just paying a toll, nothing more. See you on the highway soon - if you see me pulled over, toss me a beer.

Yeah I think he's got it together too.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 08:43 PM   #19
Kagen4o4
The Sheriff of Nothingland

"its only when you've lost everything that you're truely free to do anything" - Tyler Durton

its a lot better to see the bottom and look forward to the top, than to reach the top and fear the bottom.

everyone has moments of doubt and self questioning. once you know this, you can see it in peoples eyes and realise that the ones you thought were following their plan, are just putting one foot in front of the other and not looking around to see where they are.

instead of thinking "am i good enough?", "wheres my place in this world?" try to think "i will be good enough", "i will carve my path through this world".

if you dont want to try and do everything in your power, you can still be happy looking around and not asking questions. you'll be surprised how much more in life you can see without asking what everything is around you, but by just looking at it.

you'll be ok brianna. you matter to me
Old 04-20-2006, 09:17 PM   #20
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
I am referring to real people, the ones you see and interact with daily--maybe co-workers, or fellow students, other parents or neighbors, your supervisor(s). I've worked with some people who always acted like they were in on God's Great Plan for Mankind even when they did stupid, unspeakable, disasterous things.
Most of the people I work with are like that. They feel they're right on track, but when I listen to them talk, I come to the realization they are in parallel ruts. Everyone knows the only difference between a rut and a grave is the length. Even the few that know they're in a rut, are afraid to climb out because it's comfy, familiar and safe.

Quote:
I see these kids in class at university-they are so sure of themselves.
If they only knew......

Quote:
And its also ok not to have every freaking minute of your life mapped out fifteen years in advance. Believe me, there is a lot to be said for not locking yourself down inside a flow chart.
Of the people that do that, 99% are in for a rude awakening and many of them are so inflexible they simply crumble. Contingency plans or going with the flow could save a lot of heartache.
Besides, planning far ahead, you'll probably miss a lot of fun along the way. Of course in you spend all of your time following the fun, when it stops or you can't cut it anymore, you have to find new ways to fill your time. Thanks, internet.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:49 PM   #21
Rock Steady
Day Tripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
Like little ol' Miss Reese Witherspoon, "I'm jus' tryin' ta matter!" (yeah, that makes me gag.)

I'm finding it difficult to matter. I look around and I see people with all sorts of confidence, plans, road maps, talent, brains, courage, heart, ambition, etc., and I wonder: do they have deep chasms of doubt? Canyons of terror? Do they ever peer into the Great Abyss and see themselves?

And, if they do, is it critical that they never, ever, ever tell? Is part of being 'together' to never admit to fear?
This is what I mean when I talk about "posturing". The level of posturing rises exponentially with the level of success. At my University job, in a city near you, bri , the Grandstanding was outrageous. Here in the Silicon Valley, the software engineers that are primadonnas are a royal pain in the ass at work.

Outside of work, some of my best friends are always grandstanding and posturing all the time and I just don't want any part of that anymore. It's too exhausting. Actually, in the 2000 Internet bubble, I had more stock-option success than these friends, and then started and sold my own company. Still these friends try to out do me. This is when I fantacize about being a different person of a different gender, and avoiding the whole silicon-valley-male posturing thing. Where is my violet eyeshadow? I'm sure it's here somewhere......
Old 04-20-2006, 10:05 PM   #22
Rock Steady
Day Tripper

Part II of this is story is that today I was fired by my manager at my job as a contractor after three months, but at the same time hired by my new manager at the same company. I have another 8 weeks of work to prove myself to be hired as a full-time employee.

As you know Bri, I have had success in my career. But, my field is really young and all the over-50-yo software engineers that I know are not confident in their job situations.

My new manager has been a loyal supporter of mine for a long time and he is about my age. So this will probably turn into a FT job in two months. But, it seems to me like it gets harder and harder as you get older.

And even with getting hired again right away, the rejection is just brutal.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:26 AM   #23
marichiko

Brianna, look at all the support you have gotten here and in your other thread about the "mad" professor. People CAN be on your side, you know. I think you have a bad case of comparing your insides with other people's outsides. And if you're using 20 year old college kids as a measuring stick - well...

I used to have a friend who would say, "I imagine many people look at me and consider my life a resounding failure. But I know what I have been up against. I know the obstacles that I've had to overcome. I'd like to see the folks who consider me a "failure" do half as well as I have with the cards life has dealt me. In MY eyes, I'm a resounding success!"

He was right, too. I knew a little of his story, and he was right.

Maybe there are people "out there" who have never had to stare into the "abyss." Its certainly possible. I wouldn't know. I do know that I have had to face and am still facing my own bleak "3:00am of the human soul."

My life has not gone anything like the way I once thought it would. I've had many nights when I fell asleep praying that I would die, and woke up in the morning feeling horribly disappointed.

I often wonder why the hell I bother to keep putting one foot in front of the other. I should have been dead three times over by now, but still I'm alive. I can look at this luck of mine as sheer chance or I can look at it as being a sign that I'm here for some purpose.

I can't prove either theory, so I choose to think that I have survived this long for a reason. You have, too. You have been one of those who gets to go out on the further edge of human experience and report back to others what it was like out there and how to survive the trip.

To compare yourself with a callow 20 year old kid is a travesty and you know it. You are a pathfinder and a strong woman. Never think otherwise.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:23 PM   #24
Flint
Snowflake

Some things I learned about the people in one of my classes: they don't remember when Star Wars came out, they don't remember Reagan being President, they don't remember when MTV was first broadcast. Just call me "Grandpa" I guess.

Old 04-21-2006, 05:51 PM   #25
Banned

I think the simplest way to answer this is thus:

If you don't have insecurities, and are totally confident and happy with yourself, you don't have any incentive to *become* anything but a no-name. Anyone competitive enough to 'make it' in, for example, acting, has any number of insecurities that have led them to that point.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 01:23 AM   #26
Rock Steady
Day Tripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by marichiko
... You have been one of those who gets to go out on the further edge of human experience and report back to others what it was like out there and how to survive the trip. ...
I love the way you say things sometimes, Mari.

It's funny also that last year, the day before Bri's last court appearance, I posted on her thread about my jail time and how I survived that, including a pic of me in the orange jump suit (well not really me....but...) In February after my last court appearance, the first person I called was Brianna. And she was of course supportive and understanding for me. She's really wonderful.

You two are my misery-loves-company friends. We should have a girls-night-out and burn-in-effagy the men that have hurt us, our own little "burning man", ha! A flaming voodoo doll.
Old 04-22-2006, 02:03 AM   #27
lookout123
changed his status to single

Bri - or "hey you hot chick" as i prefer to call you: if you think that anyone you meet has a damn clue about life then they are really good actors or you are having an especially gullible day... OR they could be like i was 6 months ago (or so) when we were talking offline. i was actually giving you advice. yep - me. i didn't claim to have it all figured out, but i was 98% sure about 99% of things. that is when life steps in just laughing and slapping its knee barely holding in the finger pointing - "HAHAHA look at that dumb MFer! he thinks he's got a clue - let's turn his life upside down..."

nobody really knows what is going on. today may be complete crap filled with uncertainty - and you may wake to find that life is changed in some miraculous way. OR today may be beautiful - just another glorious day crammed with scrumdidliumpsuous moments sandwiched between identically perfect days - BUT oh wait you wake up to find divorce papers on the nightstand. time to redefine who you are and what you believe.

it's all a choice. we can get up and "be happy" knowing that we're going to get kicked from time to time as a matter of course. or we can be timid and afraid and completely ignore the beautiful moments that fill 63% of our lives because we're living in fear of the other 37% of life.

me? i'm gonna choose another beer. or 3. i'm going to get up early - coach 12 4-6 year olds on the soccer field and then I may go buy a kayak. today i got a wild itch to find out if I could make it across Lake Pleasant in one peace - in a kayak. nope, i've never even touched one before. life is an adventure right?
lookout123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 08:03 PM   #28
Rock Steady
Day Tripper

The end of last week was really tough at work. I am taking this week off before starting my new gig at the same company. It's a tough place to work; it's an all-star company with lots of successful people.

Even though my career has been successful, I'm still insecure and fragile. When the SVP gave me the negative feedback from my previous manager, tears came to my eyes. I was able to explain to him how the company failed me in several ways and he agreed with me. But, I could not do the strong male thing, I acted more like Terry Hatcher, fragile and hurt.

My new manager took a walk with me to say that he really wanted me on his team. He said that we all have projects that managers are disappointed about for whatever reasons, so it wasn't a strike against me. And it looked to him like my last project was successful anyway.

My feelings must have made an impression. Later that day, the CEO stopped by and said that he was glad to hear of my new position in the new group where the company can benefit from my experience. One of the marketing guys stopped by to say similar things. This was good; I'm someone who needs to feel the love.

Since I joined in January, the plan was for me to do a project for one manager and shift over to the other manager. Everyone agreed to this months ago. I got the feeling the first manager (too young at 27 yo) was giving me a parting shot with the negative feedback.

The new manager is more my age and the project is stuff I've been doing for the last 9 years. My new concern is that everyone expects me to be good at this new job and the expectations are very high. I could do a great job and people could be disappointed it wasn't a greater job. I'll always find something to worry about.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:06 PM   #29
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Steady
I'll always find something to worry about.
So... you'll always be prepared for whatever gets thrown at you. (This is a positive spin developed out of necesity by a chronic worrier and perfectionist. I don't think this aspect of my personality is going away, I accept it and use it to the best advantage I can.) Good luck in your new project, it sounds like you'll do just fine. People who are their own worst critic can excel if they aren't crippled by self doubt. It's a fine line, but what choice do you have?

Old 04-24-2006, 08:11 PM   #30
carouselle
Eavesdropper

Quote:
I'm finding it difficult to matter. I look around and I see people with all sorts of confidence, plans, road maps, talent, brains, courage, heart, ambition, etc., and I wonder: do they have deep chasms of doubt? Canyons of terror? Do they ever peer into the Great Abyss and see themselves?

And, if they do, is it critical that they never, ever, ever tell? Is part of being 'together' to never admit to fear?
The person who I best know to be able to relate to this and to talk from the heart honestly, well the cellar banned him after one look.

so it goes.
carouselle is offline   Reply With Quote