The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 05-31-2006, 05:30 PM   #1
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

What's Painful

Ya know what's painful, I mean REALLY painful? Knowing that you are not a brilliant person
**. Oh, and spare me, all you superior Cellar noids, if you THINK you're brilliant it's only because you haven't MET the RIGHT people yet. I have been reading and reading and writing and writing and Baked Alaska'd in other people's essence of brilliance-ness and I have to tell you: I am in awe of them and I wish I was like them, but I'm not and I never, ever will be and laydees and gentlemen--THAT is painful.

On the OTHER hand, I have met people who have been only one swing out of the tree. So. I ask you. Is it all perception and education, or is it really true that some are more equal than others?

**caveat--i never thought I was brilliant, but, i thought I was middling good. And, I'm not.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum

Last edited by Trilby; 05-31-2006 at 05:42 PM.
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 05:34 PM   #2
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

I would prefer someone like you who can come up with witty onliners. Many times I admire your quotes more than any other user.

@ one swing out of the tree
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 05:50 PM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

HTML Code:
are more equal than others?
No, some are more knowledgeable than others. Some are knowlegeable in areas they, or we, don't discuss. Some have some knowledge in many areas. Some have deep knowledge in a few areas. Some are good at guessing or reasoning...or both.

None are more equal than others.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:01 PM   #4
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Twins are more equal than others.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 06:30 PM   #5
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

nobody--NOBody--takes my concerns seriously.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 06:31 PM   #6
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

What's really painful is getting a needle in the roof of your mouth, or jumping out a window and catching your eye on a nail. Don't confuse intelligence with education. I know doctors and lawyers who have lots of education, but can't think themselves out of a paper bag. They know all about doctoring and lawyering, but can't figure out how to fold a tarp, know what I mean? Coming across a new problem and being able to solve it is much more important (IMHO) than studying and regurgitating facts. And most of them don't come across nearly as sexy as you do.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:58 PM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

HTML Code:
Don't confuse intelligence with education.
And don't confuse either with knowledge.

After posting that I looked down at the cookie;
"I never let my schooling get in the way of my education." --Mark Twain

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 05-31-2006 at 07:00 PM. Reason: add
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 07:14 PM   #8
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
So. I ask you. Is it all perception and education, or is it really true that some are more equal than others?
The latter, I think. There are a couple of people that unfailingly make me feel dumb by comparison. I'm encouraged by the fact that there seem to be only a few of them. They're educated, but I think they just took more advantage of the education than others; I also know PhDs who are genuine dimbulbs.

And one of those people who makes me feel dumb is my boss. That's a unique challenge. :-)

Last edited by MaggieL; 05-31-2006 at 07:18 PM.
MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 07:41 PM   #9
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

In my experience, being brilliant, along with $1.50, will get you a large coffee at Wawa.

Just call me Salieri.

SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 07:49 PM   #10
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Nobody cares how smart you are, they care what you can do for them.

People don't like smart people. They are intimidated by them and ignore them, even when making important decisions.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 08:00 PM   #11
glatt

I think the answer depends on who you surround yourself with.

Hang out with people at a university, and you're likely to feel dumb once in a while. Hang out at a prison, and you will feel a bit smarter.

I've felt both smart and dumb at various times.

I think the key is to surround yourself with people a little smarter than yourself so you feel chanllanged to be the best you can be, but not with people who are so smart you get discouraged.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 08:17 PM   #12
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

Somehow, I've managed to surround myself with smartasses.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 08:20 PM   #13
skysidhe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
nobody--NOBody--takes my concerns seriously.

Dear Bri,

Please don't waste your time wishing and wanting. I hope you get what you want but in the off chance it's not comming just accept it that it may not come. Some people don't get what they want. I hope you do.

I have recently learned that nobodys problems are more important than their own and you can ask for understanding and a warm compassionate arm but nobody can ever really understand. That is pain. I know.

Can I join this pity party ?because I really need one too.

My short story. I have spent most of most of my adult life caring for others who cannot take care of themselves.I have waisted time loving people I never should have and found myself alone for no other reason that to have spent it on others that is not pain. I never begrudged that. yet...

BUT when I fell ill and having to still take care of people, get up go to work in order to pay the bills feeling like a walking, hurting zombie. To smile and say hi, how ya doing and all the while to know that if I died in my sleep there isn't a soul in the world who would care except for those who still cannot take care of themselves. That wasn't really the painful part either but it's getting close.

The painful part comes when you lay your head on your pillow at night starring into that dark abyss of ' nobody really gives a shit' That is pain. The hard facts. I decided Life for some is a bit'ch then you die . Get over it.

*hug* sorry
Old 05-31-2006, 08:25 PM   #14
skysidhe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
Nobody cares how smart you are, they care what you can do for them.

People don't like smart people. They are intimidated by them and ignore them, even when making important decisions.
The whole crux of the thing. Determines Who's going to die alone and who is not. Or at least have enough fricken money to buy cake at your funeral so alot of people show up and pretend to have cared.

(thought)
[ I really only wanted to respond with a simple 'BINGO' but who says that anymore?]
Old 05-31-2006, 08:36 PM   #15
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
Nobody cares how smart you are, they care what you can do for them. People don't like smart people. They are intimidated by them and ignore them, even when making important decisions.
I think that's too often true in business.

In relationships smart people seek out other smart people, because they find stupid people dreary to be around.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote