The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 10-05-2011, 09:30 AM   #1
CaliforniaMama
I wonder . . .

October 5, 2011 Rock Balancing

Mark Frauenfelder, of BoingBoing, was hanging out at Eben G. Fine Park, Boulder, CO, for a family reunion. He noticed these sculptures in the river and took the above picture thinking they were a permanent art installation.

He later discovered they were rock sulptures by Mike Grab of Gravity Glue.

Quote:
The formations act like beacons that inspire interactions with spirit. Intricately balanced rocks spur reactions ranging from disbelief to pure reverence as if they speak to your subconscious.
Mike lives in Boulder and balances rocks when he can. Check out his website for some fantastic images of balanced rocks.

His website also includes his philosophy of balancing rocks and hints on how to do it yourself.

Quote:
Many people liken the formations to people, and groups or "gardens" to communities of people. They describe a common sensation of increased energy dancing among the gardens.
CaliforniaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:49 AM   #2
glatt

I know someone whose little kid saw one of these on a shoreline, was curious, so walked over to look at it more closely, touched it, and a heavy rock fell and smashed the kid's bare foot. These are one of those deceptively dangerous things. In hindsight it's obvious, but I bet you didn't look at these and immediately think "broken feet." It's good that these are out in a stream where they are relatively unreachable.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:00 AM   #3
grynch
the big Cheese

not quite the same thing... but this is known as the cheesewring... a natural(?) stone formation in eastern Cornwall ( s.w. England )

another pic... for a bit of perspective...
grynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:04 AM   #4
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

you're right grynch, not the same thing. But you still might break your foot.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:06 AM   #5
grynch
the big Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
you're right grynch, not the same thing. But you still might break your foot.
I've pushed against those stones tho.. all 200lbs of me ... not a budge
Old 10-05-2011, 10:19 AM   #6
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

You're not trying hard enough. Have you not seen 127 hours?
Old 10-05-2011, 10:28 AM   #7
glatt

that cheesewring is pretty cool.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:22 AM   #8
Scriveyn
amnesic-confabulatory opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by grynch View Post
not quite the same thing... but this is known as the cheesewring... a natural(?) stone formation in eastern Cornwall ( s.w. England )
On Bodmin Moor, near a lovely little village of St. Neot where I stayed at an excellent farm B&B. Also see the Eden Project while you're there.

Name:  bodmin-cw.jpg
Views: 1163
Size:  57.7 KB
Scriveyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:42 AM   #9
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Mmmm.... cheese
Old 10-05-2011, 01:46 PM   #10
grynch
the big Cheese

Scriv , when were you there ?
Old 10-05-2011, 01:50 PM   #11
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Those are cairns.

I haz one in mah backyard.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:11 PM   #12
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I know someone whose little kid saw one of these on a shoreline, was curious, so walked over to look at it more closely, touched it, and a heavy rock fell and smashed the kid's bare foot. These are one of those deceptively dangerous things. In hindsight it's obvious, but I bet you didn't look at these and immediately think "broken feet." It's good that these are out in a stream where they are relatively unreachable.
Did they try to sue God over gravity?

Clearly, this practice should be outlawed.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:13 PM   #13
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
I've pushed against those stones tho.. all 200lbs of me ... not a budge
Hah! I'm trying to picture the look on your face if you'd actually pushed them over.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:24 PM   #14
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Clearly, this practice should be outlawed.
I don't think it should be outlawed at all, in fact, I've done this myself.

But I do think that people should be mindful of what they are doing and how it may impact others, especially in a public place. I think these are kind of cool and the few that I've seen, I've enjoyed. But if they were everywhere, I'd probably get sick of them, especially if I were visiting some pristine back country stream and was trying to get away from signs of other people. These go against the idea of "leave no trace."
Old 10-05-2011, 02:40 PM   #15
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

If I was strolling along this river and came to these stones i would wonder what being had piled them thusly, call NATGEO TV to come do an entire story then start my own rock-based religion.

BTW - the guy who founded the church where the huge touchdown Jesus burnt to the ground after being hit by lightning - he died over the weekend. I wonder if they'll finish that new Jesus statue now?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote