The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally posted by Griff
I've got to learn restraint.
Heavens. no!
Old 10-26-2003, 12:18 AM   #49
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Props to the Marlins, a team which I referred to as "just an embarassment", for whipping the evil Yankees...and in less than seven games, to boot!

Nice to see someone else come out on top. Guess Steinbrenner will have to spend even more money, now.
Old 10-26-2003, 10:18 AM   #50
Griff
still says videotape

The Marlins did a great job. The lessons for the less competent organizations are many. The big ones are hoard young pitchers and play solid defense. Hopefully George will remember the kind of game the Yanks were playing back in '96. My preference would be to lose one dimensional players like Giambi and impatient hitters like Boone. Put Juan Rivera in right for keeps, move Bernie to left and Matsui to center, although Soriano in center would be a nice angle. Teach Soriano to bunt his way out of slumps. Bring the third baseman up from AAA let him learn the ropes. Keep Johnson at first. Re-sign Petite. There are a couple good pitchers in tripleA to fight for Clemans/Wells spots along with the Cuban.

The funny thing about all the bitchin about the Yanks is that the core of the team is homegrown. 1st-Johnson, 2nd Soriano, SS Jeter, Catcher Posada, Right Rivera, Center Bernie, Ace Petite, closer Mo all products of the Yankee farm.
Old 10-26-2003, 10:30 AM   #51
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Imagine the anguish of the George...he deserves every bit of it...so does Griff.

Great series--the Marlins played well and showed what a well-rounded team they are. Apparently, this series did decent in the ratings too.

Now the question of the day: Will Jeff Loria dismantle the Marlins again? There was talk of trimming payroll a bit after this season...or will he understand the error of Wayne Huinzega's ways? After all, there appear to only be 2 people that would command a hefty salary at this point: Pudge and Lowell...and they may be willing to take less to stay in South Florida, a la McGwire and Rolen with the Cardinals.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 04:01 PM   #52
Griff
still says videotape

Pudge sounded pretty non-commital but man, you'd think it'd be hard to walk away.
Old 10-26-2003, 04:34 PM   #53
elSicomoro

Well, Pudge was only signed for one year to begin with...but if Loria stays true to the fans, and the fans stay true to the team, I can't see why he would want to leave. They just have such a solid team that could last for a long time.
Old 10-26-2003, 04:35 PM   #54
elSicomoro

Word around the campfire is that the Rocket may pitch for Lasorda in the Olympics next year. Interesting...
Old 10-29-2003, 11:43 PM   #55
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

In case you're interested in money.