The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 05-19-2005, 10:26 AM   #1
Silent
Romanes Eunt Domus

NYC

So,

My job is taking me to NYC to test the latest geneation of our products.
The testing will primarily consist of driving to various locals, taking some readings and the moving on. At least part of the testing will have to take place in Manhatten.

Now, I have never been to Manhatten, or even the city central, and I was wondering:

1) I assuming that pulling over and parking on short notice is next to impossible in most areas?
2) Is the weekend significantly better as far as traffic levels?
3) Would I be better off renting a car for 3 days or paying a cab for 4-8 hours of driving around?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Silent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 10:38 AM   #2
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

How long does it take to take a reading?

NYPD down with this "reading" stuff?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 10:47 AM   #3
Silent
Romanes Eunt Domus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
How long does it take to take a reading?

NYPD down with this "reading" stuff?
A reading takes 2-20 minutes depending on a lot of different factors.

The NYPD knows I'm coming. And they will be thrilled should we hammer out existing issues with this next generation of gear.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:50 AM   #4
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

What gear?
Old 05-19-2005, 11:04 AM   #5
Silent
Romanes Eunt Domus

I'm afraid I'm not at liberty to say.
I will say it is hella cool....
Old 05-19-2005, 11:06 AM   #6
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

OK. This is totally unthinkable during a weekday, and only nearly impossible during a weekend. Eight hours of taxi will cost way too much, but if you rent a car you will get a hassle at most locations.

The only way to do this is to get somebody like me, pay them $500 cash, and haul your ass around town and drive around the block if necessary while you do your stuff.

OK, $450. But cash. Also, Jacquelita has to go along. Also, at the end of the day we must drive downtown and go to the Comedy Cellar for a set. It can be the early show.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 11:23 AM   #7
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Stick with the $500 ... Silent is on an expense account and should also therefore be responsible for meals and entertainment expenses.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 11:24 AM   #8
Silent
Romanes Eunt Domus

Actually, if I said I had a contact in the city willing to drive the bean counters might go for it. Me renting a car for 3-4 days would run almost that much anyway.
Plus, I'm not at all keen on trying to navigate my way around a strange, heavily congested city while juggling a cell phone, laptop and test gear.
It would just have to be a "Don't ask questions" kind of drive...
Old 05-19-2005, 11:28 AM   #9
Silent
Romanes Eunt Domus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Stick with the $500 ... Silent is on an expense account and should also therefore be responsible for meals and entertainment expenses.
Some expenses would be easy, others would be like pulling teeth. The CFO here will ask us to do some retardedly difficult things to save a few bucks.

"You don't mind flying into Newark, staying in Butt-Fuck-No-Where and driving 3 hours to even get into the city to start testing do you?"
Old 05-19-2005, 12:20 PM   #10
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Depending on which neighborhood of Buttfucknowhere, NJ ... you might want to make sure there's a vest in your luggage.

Check applicable NJ AND NYC laws first. They might not let you have one. Both areas are victim disarmament zones, although NYC is worse.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 12:40 PM   #11
Silent
Romanes Eunt Domus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Depending on which neighborhood of Buttfucknowhere, NJ ... you might want to make sure there's a vest in your luggage.
No shit.

I was doing a demo for NJSP, and it began by them showing me where the shotgun was kept and my driver informing me he kept a back up piece on his right ankle so if he went down I could grab his back up.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:22 PM   #12
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

It sounds like your company's gear is police-related. Can you get the cops to drive you around, if they're going to be so happy with your product once it's ready?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 02:35 PM   #13
breakingnews
Q_Q

For the most part, I agree with UT's suggestion of finding someone who'd be willing to drive you around all day. Check craigslist or ... yeah, that's my only suggestion right now.

If you DO drive yourself, doing this on a weekday will not be impossible. Honestly between 10 and 4 pm, the traffic in most parts of the city is not bad. I can lend advice on what areas to avoid during rushhour, if you need it. The only problem will be the areas that are perpetually congested, like Times Square, Rockefeller, Herald Square, the Brooklyn Bridge entrance, etc. Those will be a pain regardless of what day or time it is.

Honestly you can find Standing/Loading zones just about everywhere except on the major streets. All of the Avenues (north-south streets) are mixed - ex., I have a lot of parking on 8th Ave in my neighborhood, but further up near Penn Station/MSG there is no parking at all. As for the east-west streets, aside from the major crosstown arteries (Chamber, Canal, Delancey, Houston, 14th, 23rd, 34th, 42nd, 50th and 57th), you'll probably luck out and find a genuine parking spot with a meter (bring lots of change - 15 minutes for a quarter!). There are, however, lots of weird parking restrictions that won't be easily deciphered from street signs, so you'd need to be careful of that.

I'm assuming you'll be alone. Other question: Do you have to stray far from your vehicle? I've successfully warded off meter maids 2 of 4 times over the past year by staying close by and feeding a sure-fire BS story to the ticket officer.

If you need suggestions for good places to eat in NYC or NJ, I have those too!

Last edited by breakingnews; 05-19-2005 at 02:39 PM.
breakingnews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 02:37 PM   #14
breakingnews
Q_Q

BTW, how portable is your stuff? Always have the subway option, though it will take time to figure out where you're going.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:39 PM   #15
Silent
Romanes Eunt Domus

Hooking up with NYPD is easy if you want a couple of hours of their time with no guarantees that they'll actually be there.
Most of these guys are so over worked it's not funny. And even if I could talk one of them into diving me around, if I'm in the middle of a run and they get a call, off the'll go and I'll have to start over.
Maybe if I make enough noise they'll cave in and send our sales guy for this area down with me. He'll bitch, but good at tuning that out.