The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 12-19-2008, 01:20 PM   #16
Juniper
I know, right?

Well, he just went over and bought the thing. It's en route to our house as we speak.

I don't particularly like "working out" - it IS boring, and I would much rather go do something more fun like take a hike, ride bikes, go swimming, play a sport, etc.

BUT...where I live there's nowhere safe to hike/ride (busy road), our swimming pool at the moment is a bit chilly, and let's face it - watching me play a sport would be damn good entertainment and you'd pee in your pants laughing so hard. Ha. Ha.

I especially hate going to a gym, having to wait for someone else to get off a piece of icky, sweaty equipment so I can use it (and feeling rushed by the person waiting for me) or feeling like my jiggly fat ass is on display in the middle of the room while I (ungracefully) struggle with the elliptical. Then I have to either take a shower in a public stall or go home sweaty, both of which suck in the wintertime.

My problem is that it's just such a huge time sink. "30 minute workout" requires at least 30 minutes total commuting time, 10 minutes getting ready, 30 minutes actually exercising, 15 minutes cooling down after, 10-20 minutes getting dressed to go home. Pretty soon you've sunk three hours into this workout thing, effectively taking up your entire morning or afternoon that you could have spent sitting on the PC surfing the Cellar eating Doritos.

No no seriously, I mean, could have spent working. For pay. Or doing laundry or something.

I've worked out at the YMCA off and on. I put my son in preschool at the YMCA, so when I dropped him off I'd work out. Of course the next year he went to Kindergarten elsewhere and I had no reason to drive the whole 5 minutes down to the Y. I still did, occasionally, though. We joined the Y near where we live now, but I couldn't make myself go as much as I needed to.

Oh, and last year I joined Curves. I like that even less than the Y. Ew, ew, ew. Curves is a strange thing. You do every piece of equipment for 30 seconds (!) then move on to this walk-in-place mat, then another machine, another mat, etc., while Curves cover versions of pop music blare, and in the middle of the circle is a way-too-perky instructor chatting with you and the other ladies and telling you what you're doing wrong. You're supposed to chat with all the other women while you work out like it's some kind of social event, because you aren't supposed to get "winded" anyway. Blech.

I think that if I can just get up in the morning, do my work out, then take the shower I would have taken anyway and really only spend 30 minutes on the exercise part of my day - while I watch the news or something - that might be just fine.

At any rate, it's clear I've got to do something. I'm not quite obese or anything, but I've got about 30 pounds that need to go away. I also have high blood pressure and I'm sure that 30 pounds would make that go away too.

Could be really cool having a buff hubby too.
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 01:50 PM   #17
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Social networking comes to working out.

http://lifehacker.com/5113772/dailym...-your-workouts
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 02:11 PM   #18
sweetwater
lives inside a Mobius strip

We need a Cellar Fitness Club. Thread. Whatever. I have been going to the gym and enjoy it, but my workout partner prefers going later (7:45AM). By that time I'm already moving onto other tasks but usually go anyway. Just not happily!
Equipment vs. sports - for weight training, I prefer equipment since it's harder to injure myself. I'm not a team player so no sports, but a good outdoor activity is fun. Except leaf raking, which is what I'm heading out to do now. Anyone want to work on those arm muscles?
Old 12-19-2008, 02:17 PM   #19
monster
I hear them call the tide

Workin' Out thread
Old 12-19-2008, 02:21 PM   #20
monster
I hear them call the tide

Hey Juni, you could put a white board near the bowflex with $350 written on it. Every time one of you uses it, take $5 off (approxipate cost of entry to public rec center). Or your weight. But the $$ is always going to reduce when you work out, so more of a motivator, maybe?

Good luck with it, find some awesome workout music and have fun. You could invest in a few free weights and bands too, and then the two of you could workout together, swapping half way through....
Old 12-19-2008, 02:25 PM   #21
sweetwater
lives inside a Mobius strip

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Wow! Everything that ever should be is already here at the Cellar. Are there any mentions of recipes for pink fairy armadillos, though? I am guessing 'yes'!
Old 12-19-2008, 02:44 PM   #22
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Hm. What is this 'work out' you all speak of?

The last time I was on a treadmill I had a scotch and soda in my hand.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 09:41 PM   #23
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
Hm. What is this 'work out' you all speak of?

The last time I was on a treadmill I had a scotch and soda in my hand.
I'm not sure but I think it had something to do with "controlled drinking" that Griff was talking about in another thread.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:34 AM   #24
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

But if you have a home gym, then aren't you working in?
Old 12-21-2008, 10:11 AM   #25
Cloud

I think if you're going to buy a big piece of equipment like that, the total gym would be a better choice, because it seems more versatile--you can use it to do pilates. Not sure if you can do that with the bowflex--it seems more oriented toward upper body.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:58 PM   #26
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
Anybody got one? DH surfed Craigslist and found one for $350. He's got it into his head that we need one of these things because we're fat asses and the kids would train with it for their sports (cheer/gymnastics and wrestling/baseball).

Personally, I am anticipating the purchase of an expensive clothes rack.

What do you think?
I have one, donated it to our call room so we could use it while we were sitting around on our fat asses. Makes a great clothes rack.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:49 PM   #27
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

What about the iron gym? It hangs from your door frame.http://www.getirongym.com/Default.asp?tcode=asp3&bhcp=1

Or the 'Red' swivel seat which I am skeptical about.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:49 PM   #28
Estron
Recruit or Something

My New Year's resolution is to begin a serious training regimen . . .

on the Wii Fit.
Estron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:34 AM   #29
Juniper
I know, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe View Post
What about the iron gym? It hangs from your door frame.http://www.getirongym.com/Default.asp?tcode=asp3&bhcp=1

Or the 'Red' swivel seat which I am skeptical about.
My son actually does have one of those pull-up bars in the doorway of his room. It gets extensive use as a form of indoor playground equipment. They can do flips on the thing!
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:57 PM   #30
sugarpop
Professor

Juniper, the Bowflex is awsome. So is the Total Gym. And $350 is a GREAT price for a bowflex, if it works. I have always been into lifting weights, since I was 15. I have worked in 4 gyms, including the original Golds Gym in Venice CA. There is nothing like being in a gym and working out, because there are motivating factors all around you. But it's also expensive. If you have the room for a bowflex or a total gym, I say GO FOR IT! And if you have trouble in the beginning getting motivated, start out slow. Go do a set in between doing laundry, or making the beds. Do a few sets several times a day, and before you know it, you'll be looking forward to working out. Then you can really design a serious program for yourself.
sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote