The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 12-12-2005, 04:24 AM   #121
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

I should have taken a photo of the military cop asking me questions but I take that sort of inquiry much too seriously to fuck around.

It surely would have been a keeper.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 12:41 PM   #122
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisa
Pretty soon, we may have the nurses doubling as doctors.

:
We already have those here, Luisa. They're called "Nurse Practitioners", and they're the result of incredible increases in medical profiteering...um, I mean, expenses brought on by government regulation and unrestricted litigation. Insurance companies decided that anyone could give a shot or prescribe for the sniffles, and...voila! Nurse Practitioners.

Pretty soon you'll only see the doctor for brain surgery or if you happen to be their caddy.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:18 PM   #123
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Or service and wash their Caddy.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:13 PM   #124
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

Els, what's happening in the Philippines is completely different from the situation we have here. Filipino Education is a contradiction in terms. You buy your grades and diplomas. History, Geography, and Literature do not exist in their schools. (What more can you say about a country that has NO literature to study?) The only thing which they really pretend to teach is science: computer technology, medicine, biology, that sort of stuff. The problem is that with stone-age equipment and teachers who never practiced what they teach (Luisa was actually FORCED to teach a class in programming at a school where she was hired to teach Business English instead). Add to that: NO health insurance, NO malpractice liability, NO nursing staff in all but the luxury expat hospitals (if you are so unlucky to be hospitalized, your relatives have to feed, bathe, and turn you and empty the bedpans because the so-called nurses will refuse). If you check into a hospital there, you are more-or-less committing Suicide By Physician. Doctors do not use the drugs or equipment that we take for granted (but you can buy all except "hard narcotics" in any street corner "pharmacy" without prescription or regulation), and sanitation is very poor.

As a result, becoming a doctor in the Philippines does not qualify you to practice anywhere else. Even the Chinese peasants wouldn't have you. But it does not take long for Filipinos to figure out that the US, England, and Canada are desperate for bodies to fill the low-end nursing positions. Like you said, Els, profiteering hospitals here are cutting costs wherever they can so the CEOs can get their bonuses. As a result, ALL the supposed "nursing schools" are filled with people looking for a visa out. The US used to take them all, before 9/11, and allowed them to take classes in the USA to qualify them for positions here. Now it is another story. To get a visa for a nursing position now, they have to take 3 tests, including English language skills. To say the least, almost nobody can pass those tests due to the abyssmal quality of their education, and since those "nationalistic" Filipinos have decided that English need no longer be taught in the schools, most students could not even read a bed chart in English. The nursing students who DO get visas really must pull some strings, because of the crew of SIX Filipino nurses who were on my floor at UCSD Thornton Hospital this summer, two of them couldn't speak English well enough to talk to patients or understand them, and had to take instructions from other nurses.

THIS is how former Filipino doctors end up in the US or England as nurses -- nurses, not Physician's Assistants -- because THEY have just enough practical education to get through these nursing schools and pass the tests required to be hired abroad. They just want to get OUT, any way they can. But as nurses, not doctors, and that is what they can't get through their heads. They are used to ordering other people around and making often-erroneous decisions which can't be questioned back home. So they end up being disciplined for taking unauthorized actions in the hospitals where they have been hired. Filipino males have already been raised from birth to think they are omnipotent, they can't be challenged or contradicted, they are deferred to in everything and are waited on hand and foot by all the women in their families. They think their shit don't stink, and they don't follow other people's directions very well. As a result, an alarming number of these former physicians-turned-nurses are being charged with insubordination, having their credentials stripped, their visas revoked, and are being deported back to the Philippines. It has become such an embarassment that even the newspapers in Manila are writing editorials about it.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:31 PM   #125
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Cultural patriarchy plays in a very interesting manner here in the US. I mean, we are still largely a patriarchal society (God is a man, so men are the bosses, I believe is how the reasoning goes...go figure), but compared to Third World nations, we're a matriarchy. Chauvinism is probably not a job skill here in the US in most organizations...not overt chauvinism, anyway.

The state of Phillipino education does sound abysmal, and that being the case, I feel compelled to compliment Luisa's English writing skills and her overall command of the esoteric. She seems to have done very well indeed in the face of considerable odds. Or am I misunderstanding that she is a native Phillipino?
Old 12-13-2005, 07:49 PM   #126
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

Luisa was born in Manila, 32 years ago. Although she has a birth certificate showing two Filipino parents, which having been redacted by Filipinos is inaccurate and gives her the wrong name as well, our theory is that she must have been switched at birth. Hospitals there are rather sloppy, after all, and there seems to be no other explanation why, of her entire extended family (a considerable number of people, as typical of all constantly reproducing Filipino families), she is the only one who seems to have a functioning brain. She certainly behaved like a changeling, all her relatives will testify to that. But due to her very small stature and facial features, it's obvious that she was the actual child of her parents. Much to her misfortune.

Her first word seems to have been "Why?" During her often unbearably stressful young life, that family has done everything in their power to beat the living daylights out of her and to crush any spirit of inquiry. They failed, but they nearly killed her trying. As I told everybody in another thread, your family is your worst and most dangerous enemy in the Philippines, and Luisa fully intents to crack the skull of her biological father if he ever tries to get near her again. She would gladly shoot him instead, but in the Philippines a woman is not allowed to lift her hand against a man, so SHE would be the one to go to prison instead of the scum who would have held her for ransom or sold her into slavery. The rest of her story will make a great book one of these days, maybe she will be the Filipino equivalent of Amy Tan

Luisa is the only one who is truly fluent en English in her family, she passed the TOEFL on her first try with a nearly perfect score. Her education and upbringing was in English only, because her grandfather, apparently a very wise man for the times, decreed one day that his Spanish-speaking household would from that day forward learn English and speak it exclusively. In those days the Americans had just liberated the Philippines, transportation and schools actually functioned, there was an economy, and America was where it was happening. Unfortunately the Americans left, successive Filipino governments destroyed the economy, stole the entire treasury, let the school systems become a joke, rule by law as we know it ceased to exist, and the lowest common denominator of life forms there had a population explosion which swamped the cities and dragged under the last vestiges of public services. Grandfather died, and the rest of his household reverted to "traditional Filipino values" while managing to lose or spend any of the security and prestige that their branch of the family had in the 1950's. Poor Lu came into existance during the downward spiral at the end. A helpless girl-child had the resentment and stupidity of the entire family fall right on her head.

The fact that she is still existing can be credited to the internet. Without it, she would have never been able to maintain a window on sanity, education, and a degree of normalcy. We are going to get her out of that hellhole some day, soon I hope. She is worth saving.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:26 AM   #127
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

just checking here here.

Drunk off my ass, once again or still...depending how you see things.

Went to Quezon city today. Nea4ly died from the pollution and from the traffic. Took lots of pics and clips. Rode the mrt again, without getting arrested this time

Saw a movi3 last night at market market. It was good and cost 80 pesos about 1.6 us.

I'
m going north on lfridayt to another procinvne, la union. Her relaitives there have property and businesses there with motoribikes that I camn ride.

More latyerrr. This keyboard sucks assneck.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:35 AM   #128
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

There is a table in Makati that doesnt need shims and it's in an upscale bakery at Market Market.

We bought some cakes today and I nearly fainted as we placed our things on the table waiting for the cake. No shims or additional fabrication required. Simply amazing.

"Quick....someone find me a beer so I can experience the elegance and refinement of drinking while sitting at a table that doesnt rock and roll"

More photos to post today but without descriptions, sorry.
Attached Images

Old 12-15-2005, 06:38 AM   #129
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

This is the church in "downtown" Pembo. Nice church but it was a bit strange seeing "no vendors" sign.
Attached Images

Old 12-15-2005, 06:41 AM   #130
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

from our trip (almost) to the volcano
Attached Images

Old 12-15-2005, 06:44 AM   #131
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

cute cute

The first is a proud father and cute child

The other is of the kids singing caroles at the resort. A bit freaky without cold weather and or snow.

Not complaining mind you, it's just a bit freaky.
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2005, 01:31 AM   #132
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

In the rural area of LaUnion now. It's nice and not nearly as congested as Manila.

There are goats everywhere here. So many strange things here to see. We even saw a woman washing clothes in the river....not on a rock though, in a metal bowl.

The cafe here is also much nicer and the equipment actually works.

More later.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:02 PM   #133
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Washing clothes the old fashion way.
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2005, 11:04 PM   #134
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Cheap is nice but this is ridiculous.