The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 03-09-2004, 06:11 PM   #1
nekee
naughty nurse

Dawn of the Dead

Man I am sooooo psyched to go see this movie!!!! I love those kind of movies with zombies and that sort of shit. Has anyone seen 28 Days??? I liked it but it was a bit strange with the whole ending and all. For those of you who haven't seen it I will not ruin it for you.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:23 PM   #2
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

I am scheduled to go see this with an old Navy buddy of mine out Lancaster way on Tuesday the 23rd. This is the kind of movie that gives poor Dagney nightmares so she won't go with me and I am forced to find alternate company.

Still, this MIGHT be a good B-movie if they don't try to put in too much. The original was good enough as it was. They can dress it up with special effects, but if they also try to tell more than a simple story or try to politicize or pontificate; the whole movie will be ruined.

I will report when I see it.

Brian

PS I see there will be a ten minute teaser on Monday at eight, just before the (next) showing of Final Destination on USA. Make of it what you will.

Last edited by BrianR; 03-09-2004 at 09:34 PM.
BrianR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 09:58 AM   #3
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

I think it's pretty bold of them to remake a classic like Dawn of the Dead. I saw Tom Savini in the trailer so at least it's got some connection to the first one. I wonder if George Romero had something to do with it. He wrote and directed the first one and Savini did the gore makeup.
Old 03-10-2004, 10:50 AM   #4
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

The "28-Days" zombies looked cool but I could never figure out what they were up to. They weren't technically dead and I never saw any of them chowing down on somebody's liver like they did in Night of the Living Dead. They vicious as hell and attacked a lot but for no apparent reason. The cinematography was spectacular so it was easy to overlook a few obvious questions.

Give me a real zombie anyday - I'm very up for a Dawn of the Dead remake - its a slam dunk with what they can do with the effects and the story is already done so I just hope they don't screw it up.
Old 03-10-2004, 01:13 PM   #5
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I have received permission from my friend, tester-san, to post this here. He sent it around to a select batch of people this AM, and I thought it should be more widely enjoyed.

********~********

As you may have seen the movie commercials, the re-make of George Romero''s "Dawn of the Dead" opens in a few days.

Here is a Tester-San political spoof on the "Dawn of the Dead" movie.

The city is Chicago. The hordes of dead people march towards the last, desperate living people holdouts in the city. The living are are out of ammo and out of luck; cornered in a municipal building.

Just as the dead are about to grab these last of the living for dinner, someone among the living pulls off a tarp on a voting machine.

Given that it is Chicago, the dead people quickly bypass the living; form a long, single file, circular line. The dead then proceed to vote the Mayor Daly political machine Democratic Party line. When each of the dead finishes voting, that dead person goes to the end of the line to vote again, and again, and again ...

The living hear the dead moaning the words "Kerry Kerry Kerry" as they vote.

This gives the living folks time to escape from a sure goner ..... the living are last seen heading for a Caribbean tax haven island ....

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 04:42 PM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That's funny, Wolf.
Old 03-10-2004, 04:50 PM   #7
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Another 4 years of Bush is more frightening than zombies any day.
Old 03-17-2004, 01:23 PM   #8
phillybilly
Belt Conveyor

Isn't it just an American version of....

28 days later???

I mean I know it's supposed to be a remake, but the ads I saw made me think more of 28 days later, which I know the crazies in that movie weren't zombies, but still.....

Oh well, my two cents, if you don't want them give 'em back I can use the money!
phillybilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 08:51 PM   #9
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Okay...I've seen it. Not too shabby either.

There is the obligatory nod to the original by having survivors hole up in a shopping mall. The zombies are right out of 28 Days. They move fast and bite hard. There is a definite berzerker attitude to them this time, and I like it better than the old zombie shuffle that the original had. I like the idea that they can at least catch you if you run this time. They are still stupid though. No ability to drive or think.

The pregnant woman was a surprise but I could see that plot twist coming a mile away. And the survivors didn't seem to catch on too quickly about the bite being the source of "infection". They had to see it three times before they figure it out, then somehow fail to share that information with the gun shop guy (Eddie). Doh!

The mall security guards were assholes and I would have preferred to see them get fed to the zombies as soon as they were disarmed. I would have, humanity or no humanity.

The survivors also failed to secure the perimeter (the whole darn mall) and so were forced to deal with zombies several times. Shouldn't have happened. They failed to quarrantine the injured survivors until they were sure they were or were not infected. To my way of thinking, the slightest scrape would have been grounds for a lockup for observation. Double Doh!

The ending was kind of a double ending. The drawback is that you have to sit through a terrible soundtrack to see it in little pieces. I was going to say "bites" but I resisted. If you left the theater at the first ending, as most did, you saw the happy ending. If you stayed for the rest, you saw the (un) happy ending too. I could have lived without that. I wanted the happy ending with the survivors in a tropical paradise with no zombies so that they could repopulate and do whatever...find a cure or some way to wipe out the zombies other than shooting them in the head.

Although that WAS an interesting diversion that *I* would have gone for to pass time!

I will post more details later on so as not to spoil it for those who have not seen the movie but wish to.

Brian
Old 04-06-2004, 08:35 AM   #10
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

What second ending????

I saw the movie last week and pretty much agree with your review. But, since I ducked out of work to watch the matinee across the street, I bolted as soon as the credits started. Was there something after that?

PM me the details!!! I want the unhappy ending!!!