The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 03-01-2004, 06:48 AM   #1
Griff
still says videotape

Lipitor and Cancer

My Mom's cancer started in her liver. She had been on Lipitor to reduce her LDL cholesterol. Lipitor is known to cause liver damage, so I'm wondering if there is a connection. I started this thread as a place for folks to post any special knowlege they have and to keep track of anything I dig up on the subject...
Old 03-01-2004, 09:14 AM   #2
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Just about everything causes liver damage. Acetaminophen, aka Tylenol is notorious for liver damage, especially if you pop one while consuming alcohol.

I think it is still worth looking at, however. How long had she been on Lipitor?
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 10:32 PM   #3
nekee
naughty nurse

Was it the 10 mg of Lipitor and how many times a day did she take it? Lemme know the answers to that and I will ask the all-knowing doctor I work for. You live pretty close to me I have heard through the lovely posts about beautiful NY state! (LOL) so I can definitely help you out in this matter.
nekee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 06:23 AM   #4
Griff
still says videotape

Thanks nekee, but I think I'll just drop it. I think I was just trying to understand why... I think I need to move past laying blame. Her doctor was following the proper protocols as far as monitoring etc..
Old 03-04-2004, 09:58 AM   #5
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
Originally posted by Griff
Thanks nekee, but I think I'll just drop it. I think I was just trying to understand why... I think I need to move past laying blame. Her doctor was following the proper protocols as far as monitoring etc..
Griff:

Let me say again..my condolences.

Take it from someone who is taking at least 10 different meds a day (including Lipitor and Tylenol). I'm scared to death about how long term use is going to royally fuck me up in the future. However, it's keeping me going here in the present. I surely don't like the idea of having complications from these meds, and I tell my doctors this on a regular. They can only, as you said, "following the proper protocols". However, I tend to question to myself about my doctors, and whether or not they are up on the latest science, and are only able to prescribe the meds that they have access to. *shrugs*

I've not heard of Lipitor causing cancer, but I do know that it causes muscle aches and pains (which makes me wonder if that is part of *my* body aches).

Here's what I found out about Lipitor:

Lipitor-Warnings and Side Effects

Lipitor Side Effects (Official Site)

[Cinhealth] lipitor and cancer

Statin drugs: Potential side effects

Hope that helps.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"

Last edited by ladysycamore; 03-04-2004 at 10:09 AM.
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 07:07 PM   #6
Griff
still says videotape

Thanks, LS I'll check them out. g
Old 03-09-2004, 10:54 AM   #7
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

There is a front page article in the Washington Post today (Mar 9) about the wonders of lowering LDL cholesterol. Apparently, lowering LDL is a life-saving, life-extending thing that is only just now being understood and verified. The article also discusses two drugs that get the job done: Lipitor and another (sorry, spacing on the name). But, studies showed that Lipitor is vastly more effective than the nearest competitor. The article made no mention of the dangers of taking the drug.

WaPo requires NYT style info to view now so I won't link to it (I read the actual newspaper) but its out there if you are interested.

The point is that in light of the now understood benefits of lowering LDL and the fact that Lipitor is unchallenged in its effectiveness to lower LDL, its no wonder that its being heavily prescribed.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:18 AM   #8
jinx
Come on, cat.

My mother's husband was briefly put on Lipitor for high LDL (at about the same time he started Atkins at doctors advice), but his doctor noticed "changes" in his liver and took him back off. I assume that means they were doing periodic checks of his liver and knew what to look for regarding the effects of the drug.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:55 PM   #9
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
Originally posted by jinx
My mother's husband was briefly put on Lipitor for high LDL (at about the same time he started Atkins at doctors advice), but his doctor noticed "changes" in his liver and took him back off. I assume that means they were doing periodic checks of his liver and knew what to look for regarding the effects of the drug.
That's good, if the doctor indeed was keeping an eye on his liver function.

Whenever I have my monthly labs done, mine is checked too (so I've been told). I have another visit with my doctor today, so I'm going to double check.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote