The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > The Internet
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Internet Web sites, web development, email, chat, bandwidth, the net and society

Old 08-23-2008, 04:40 PM   #1
mbpark
Lecturer

Savage Frontier

Good afternoon,

One of my friends decided to do something cool in retrocomputing.

He modified a Linux Apple ][ emulator to support virtual AppleCAT modems, and wrote a huntgroup emulator that emulates the old phone company hunt groups and lets you originate calls to the modems over Telnet.

He went even further, and got his hands on the software which drove one of the first chat systems in the Philadelphia area, Savage Frontier, which ran on Diversi-Dial. This pre-dates the Waffle version of the Cellar I started calling in 1991.

Savage Frontier lives again. You can telnet over to chat.thesavagefrontier.com at port 10000 if you're familiar with Diversi-Dial commands, or utilize the handy instruction guide I wrote at http://www.diginexuswiki.com/savagef...ruserguide.pdf .

Hope to see you there!
mbpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 06:36 AM   #2
mbpark
Lecturer

Oops, I meant port 9000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbpark View Post
Good afternoon,

One of my friends decided to do something cool in retrocomputing.

He modified a Linux Apple ][ emulator to support virtual AppleCAT modems, and wrote a huntgroup emulator that emulates the old phone company hunt groups and lets you originate calls to the modems over Telnet.

He went even further, and got his hands on the software which drove one of the first chat systems in the Philadelphia area, Savage Frontier, which ran on Diversi-Dial. This pre-dates the Waffle version of the Cellar I started calling in 1991.

Savage Frontier lives again. You can telnet over to chat.thesavagefrontier.com at port 9000 if you're familiar with Diversi-Dial commands, or utilize the handy instruction guide I wrote at http://www.diginexuswiki.com/savagef...ruserguide.pdf .

Hope to see you there!
Old 08-24-2008, 05:49 PM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I'd be willing to bet I'm not the only one, that only vaguely knows what you're talking about, Mitch.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:48 PM   #4
mbpark
Lecturer

OK Bruce, lemme try better :)

Bruce,

Since I've known you for god knows how long, let me provide a better explanation:

One of my friends managed to get one of the first chat BBS systems that ran in the Philadelphia Area, Savage Frontier, running again, this time on the Internet. This BBS originally ran on an Apple ][e. Mike (aka Mouse) managed to rewrite portions of a Linux Apple ][ emulator so that it can emulate the hardware required to run the chat software.

Since some of the older Cellar users also called there (and I know of here because of there), I figured to post it here.

You can telnet to chat.thesavagefrontier.com on port 9000, or if you need further explanation, go to http://www.diginexuswiki.com/savagef...ruserguide.pdf to download the user's guide, which has instructions for Windows 2000/XP, Vista, Debian/Ubuntu Linux, and Mac OS X.

Thanks,

Mitch
Old 08-24-2008, 08:07 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yeah, I understand that chat BBS systems were the first, and usually local because of the phone charges. Also, some of the old farts around here were involved with those early systems.

Now Mouse has adapted the old system to work on the internet, which was probably a software nightmare. Certainly a feather in his cap to have been able to accomplish that successfully.

I don't want to disparage his accomplishment but I wonder why? Other than for shits & giggles, why he'd go to all that trouble, with all the store-bought internet chat software available?

I have to assume he saw it as a challenge and did it, because it wasn't there.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:37 PM   #6
mbpark
Lecturer

Because he wanted to learn how to do it

Bruce,

It's one thing to buy the SW. It's another to write it yourself, learn how to do it, and apply the challenges to another project, especially if you're employed as a developer writing concurrent high-volume web software like Mouse.

It's something that makes you stand out for being able to do it .

Besides, its fun when said project comes with a built-in community.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:54 PM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yes, as I tried to say, it's certainly an impressive display of determination and ability. A gold star for his resume, too.

Mitch, I've always been impressed with the patience you command, when faced with trying to explain this technical stuff to we non-IT dummies. Thanks.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:59 PM   #8
mbpark
Lecturer

No, Bruce, thank you

Bruce,

You're very welcome .

I've been doing it for years, do it for work, and have no plans of stopping.

Take care,

Mitch
Old 08-24-2008, 10:05 PM   #9
Juniper
I know, right?

Verrrry cool! Ah, the nostalgia...how well I remember those early BBSes.

I got my first modem in 1993, and ohmigosh I was SO excited! This was right after we'd gotten back from our honeymoon and I *totally* neglected the poor bridegroom as soon as I had a list of BBSes in my hands.

Even after we had the Internet and web browsers, for a couple years I had to use telnet to access our local library system. Could use some BBSes that way too, instead of direct dial-up.

But I get it - I've seen emulators that make it SEEM like you're accessing one of the old BBS systems, and this is the real thing. Neat!

And yes, I used to have an Apple II...actually mine was a IIc, which was supposed to be portable! HAhaha!
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:21 AM   #10
XxSwitchBladexX
Kinda New Member

Thumbs up Moving Along...

Sorry for posing on here at such a later time and date in reguards to "The Savage Frontier DDial". I know that when it boils down to the technology behind the DDial which is simply not somthing commonly used in our everyday life. I grew up on it back in the mid 80's till probably the beginning of 1991 and fading away probably around 1993.

Anyways speaking of which, from this time and date i post this message i am linked with "The Savage Frontier DDial" 24/7 with a custom coded in (C) language RetroDial v1.0b on a "Linux Platform" with all information that can be read over at http://www.digitaldial.us

I know it is an old technology, but i got to give lots of credit to Mouse for doing such a project on his DDial for his brilliant code of the "HuntGroup Software" he did an excellent job and his chat is very stable and in good working order.

DDial was very fun and exciting and i really enjoyed it, still do in present day, it was and still is a geek utopia. perhaps i can conjure up some old schoolers and some new schoolers willing to participate on some good ole chatter on these nostalgic type of chats!
XxSwitchBladexX is offline   Reply With Quote